• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 ctd

ctd

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:49 PM

I have this strange desire to make a sbr ak in .300 blackout,Im guessing I would have to start with a .223.

I have not been able to find anything about this being done before so does anyone have any coments?

#2 onehappycampster

onehappycampster

Deo domuique

• PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 02:54 PM

Someone already beat you to it. Man, it's a nice looking one, too! If you do go on with it, keep us updated.

Edited by onehappycampster, 18 April 2012 - 02:55 PM.

Matt

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

#3 Yoder

Yoder

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 03:15 PM

Other than the, "no one else has this" and having straight magazines, what's the desire of the 300 Blackout in an AK?

The ballistics are almost equal to a 7.62x39. I always considered the 300 Blackout to answer the question, "How do I shoot 7.62x39 out of my AR?"
  • BattleRifleG3, G O B, superA and 1 other like this

#4 superA

superA

Top Member

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:54 PM

Other than the, "no one else has this" and having straight magazines, what's the desire of the 300 Blackout in an AK?

The ballistics are almost equal to a 7.62x39. I always considered the 300 Blackout to answer the question, "How do I shoot 7.62x39 out of my AR?"

Less available sub-sonic loads I feel the same way. For the AR I think it's pretty nice.

#5 onehappycampster

onehappycampster

Deo domuique

• PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 06:20 PM

I say if it's something you wanna do then go for it! I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines. You know...some of us hate ARs just the same as some AR shooters hate AKs. And then there's those of us, like me, that think both are great. Each has pros and cons. This may at least show the anti-AK folks that the AK doesn't have to be limited to just a few caliber choices. You can make anything happen someone has the right skills/tools.
  • patriot, Syndicate and filthygovemploye like this
Matt

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

#6 Yoder

Yoder

• Pip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:33 AM

Please don't take my comments as an attempt to discourage you.

If it weren't for the, "because it's cool" factor, half of my gun collection would be gone.

I like the idea of subsonic (300 Whisper) especially if it's suppressed. I wonder though, would they still have enough power to operate in an ak?

I
  • G O B likes this

#7 onehappycampster

onehappycampster

Deo domuique

• PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:59 AM

It is honestly easier to introduce Wildcat's on the AR because of the gas system. You may have to develop your own ultralight but durable gas system. Not for the faint of heart.

Please don't take my comments as an attempt to discourage you.

If it weren't for the, "because it's cool" factor, half of my gun collection would be gone.

I like the idea of subsonic (300 Whisper) especially if it's suppressed. I wonder though, would they still have enough power to operate in an ak?

I

Matt

#8 bohound

bohound

Loves shoosting

• Contributor
  • PipPipPip
  • 963 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:21 AM

So, this is a SERIOUS thread? I thought it was funny, so I looked.

This isn't bARFCOM.

Just.... No.
"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, and they're behind us. They can't get away this time!" -Gen. L. "Chesty" Puller, CO, 1 MARDIV, in Korea surrounded by 22 enemy divisions

"IMO, preference for Kalashnikov pattern long guns is just basic common sense, except for specialized roles..." Post-Apocalyptic

DOMARI NOLO

#9 onehappycampster

onehappycampster

Deo domuique

• PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:26 AM

Easy there, Bubba.

This isn't bARFCOM.

Just.... No.

• filthygovemploye likes this
Matt

#10 ctd

ctd

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:29 PM

To those that wonder,I am not jokeing. Sure supersonic is so so but I could not care less about that as I can only imagiane using subsonic ammo. I do most of my hunting with a supressed .45 marlin or a single shot supressed 300 wisper at the moment. I could get a ar upper but in my part of the world I I could probably build up 3 or 4 aks in wisper/blackout for the same price.

I spent a few hours yesterday talking to gunsmiths and trying to find a rifle to build on,I think I have a rifle sorted and there is a can going cheep localy at the moment. The main problem looks like geting a blackout reamer but alomost every gunsmith in NZ has wisper reamers so I may have to go that way.Would much prefer blackout as wisper brass is an arse to make by comparsome

the gas system should not be to hard I hope,lots off people convert mini14s to wisper without much drama. If I can have it so it only works with the can on(more back presure) so much the better for my retarded local laws as that would let me take the can off for transport and still have a folding stock and 9-10in barrel
  • G O B and onehappycampster like this

#11 ctd

ctd

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:35 PM

This isn't bARFCOM.

Just.... No.

I guess I did ask for any comments but please let me make one of my own-People who make posts like yours are what makes barfcom such a bad place to hang out

#12 onehappycampster

onehappycampster

Deo domuique

• PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

If there are other gunsmiths wanting to make a 300 blackout, it may something of an investment to purchase a chamber reamer then rent it out.

To those that wonder,I am not jokeing. Sure supersonic is so so but I could not care less about that as I can only imagiane using subsonic ammo. I do most of my hunting with a supressed .45 marlin or a single shot supressed 300 wisper at the moment. I could get a ar upper but in my part of the world I I could probably build up 3 or 4 aks in wisper/blackout for the same price.

I spent a few hours yesterday talking to gunsmiths and trying to find a rifle to build on,I think I have a rifle sorted and there is a can going cheep localy at the moment. The main problem looks like geting a blackout reamer but alomost every gunsmith in NZ has wisper reamers so I may have to go that way.Would much prefer blackout as wisper brass is an arse to make by comparsome

the gas system should not be to hard I hope,lots off people convert mini14s to wisper without much drama. If I can have it so it only works with the can on(more back presure) so much the better for my retarded local laws as that would let me take the can off for transport and still have a folding stock and 9-10in barrel

Matt

#13 ctd

ctd

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:50 PM

that is true,Ill be sending off some emails today to find out how much of a bitch ITAR is going to be for a reamer

sofar the base rifle and can works out to aroud us$600 and the gunsmithes all range from us$600-us$800 to put a wisper barrel on. I think the project is a go

#14 onehappycampster

onehappycampster

Deo domuique

• PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:03 PM

That's not too bad. Same cost as a fully loaded Arsenal. You could spend more on a Krebs easily.
Matt

#15 ctd

ctd

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

That's not too bad. Same cost as a fully loaded Arsenal. You could spend more on a Krebs easily.

the only problem is I dont get payed in us$ so it is a bit more expesive than it may at first look. That said a remington 700 in stainless is about nz$1350/us$1100 to put it in perspective

#16 onehappycampster

onehappycampster

Deo domuique

• PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:35 PM

the only problem is I dont get payed in us$ so it is a bit more expesive than it may at first look. That said a remington 700 in stainless is about nz$1350/us$1100 to put it in perspective

It's a import for you so of course it'd be higher. What are some domestics for NZ?
Matt

#17 ctd

ctd

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:27 PM

It's a import for you so of course it'd be higher. What are some domestics for NZ?

If by domestics your talking about localy made firearms there is only custem guns,nothing off a prodution line. That said nz is gun country so there is a lot of custem makers,mostly small outfits as nz is only a small country

#18 onehappycampster

onehappycampster

Deo domuique

• PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:29 PM

Cool to know. Sorry my question was off topic. Get any emails back today? Any news? I know it has only been a day but ya' never know. Cheers.
Matt

#19 ctd

ctd

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

things are coming along nicely

I now have the rifle that it will be built from in hand and should have the can sometime today.It turns out ITAR is not the problem for reamers but supply/demand is. the good news is that a smith I have used before has one on order so ill wait however long it takes for his to show up,this works for me as I will have to save for the next steps.

I plan on doing photos as this project happens but I think it will be a few weeks until anything more happens
  • G O B, onehappycampster and Dad2142Dad like this

#20 onehappycampster

onehappycampster

Deo domuique

• PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

I'm excited for you. To have something that is truly yours...that feels amazing. I have one custom rifle and will never let go of it.
Matt

#21 onehappycampster

onehappycampster

Deo domuique

• PipPip
  • 128 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 09:30 PM

Any updates on this project?
Matt

#22 Algy

Algy

• 5 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 03:36 AM

I also have been dreaming of the same end do you have anything to update yet.

#23 Syndicate

Syndicate

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 09:27 AM

I love this idea, really looking forward to seeing the results.

the people that innvoate are always the ones with a few naysayers.

I really want a 7.62x39 AR, not a 300 blackout. So I guess I'm the opposite.

I like both ARs and AKs. To me hatred of either comes down to how well informed someone is on either platform.
If "elitist" just means "not the dumbest motherfucker in the room," I'll be an elitist! (From Get Your War On!)

ADD is a hoax. There’s no scientific and then there was a car chase, and ooh, I gotta go pee, then this guy, you’re funny! Yesterday I lemonade

#24 Russian Hammer

Russian Hammer

Professional Idiot

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:44 AM

shut the fuck up
  • Syndicate likes this
If money smell bad Russian Hammer be stinkin

#25 sunnybean

sunnybean

I'm just here to watch the fights

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 12:02 PM

I like both ARs and AKs. To me hatred of either comes down to how well informed someone is on either platform.

Look at the PWS 7.62 ARs that use a long stroke piston. Or, a Robinson XCR.
  • Syndicate likes this
'TonyRumore', on 16 Nov 2011 - 9:42 PM, said:
...and you have to be a complete dorkwad or mall ninja to run around hunting with a mag fed gun, pulling the fucking mag out every shot and dicking around loading a shell and jamming it back in the gun when you can just stuff one in the tube. Even with multiple mags, it's a serious pain in the ass and takes two hands. That's a major drawback when hunting since you need to keep one hand on the gun and the other on your beer............

Tony

#26 Syndicate

Syndicate

• Contributor
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,307 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

Look at the PWS 7.62 ARs that use a long stroke piston. Or, a Robinson XCR.

I was originally looking at the olympic ones, but I'll check those out
If "elitist" just means "not the dumbest motherfucker in the room," I'll be an elitist! (From Get Your War On!)

ADD is a hoax. There’s no scientific and then there was a car chase, and ooh, I gotta go pee, then this guy, you’re funny! Yesterday I lemonade

#27 Gzus Kryst

Gzus Kryst

Delightfully Tacky

• PipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

http://www.rockriver...category_id=558 rock river has the AR x 39 also but as for the OP good luck its always fun to have something custom

#28 ctd

ctd

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 05:35 AM

an update

the rifle only cycles subsonic ammo with the can fitted-no big deal

the rifle keyholes @ 50m-big problem

#29 ctd

ctd

Advanced Member

• PipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:52 AM

Well things are coming along-a new crown job and its no longer key holing!

Now to work up a load that groups better,and that will feed from moded styer aug mags (the cheapest .223 mags in my part of the world)

#30 cguiro

cguiro

Advanced Member

• Contributor
  • PipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 20 October 2012 - 04:06 PM

In theory coupdnt u just take a 7.62x39 barrel have it put on a 223 saiga and have essentially what you want?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users