I have this strange desire to make a sbr ak in .300 blackout,Im guessing I would have to start with a .223.

I have not been able to find anything about this being done before so does anyone have any coments?

Other than the, "no one else has this" and having straight magazines, what's the desire of the 300 Blackout in an AK?

The ballistics are almost equal to a 7.62x39. I always considered the 300 Blackout to answer the question, "How do I shoot 7.62x39 out of my AR?"

Less available sub-sonic loads I feel the same way. For the AR I think it's pretty nice.

I say if it's something you wanna do then go for it! I'll be cheering you on from the sidelines. You know...some of us hate ARs just the same as some AR shooters hate AKs. And then there's those of us, like me, that think both are great. Each has pros and cons. This may at least show the anti-AK folks that the AK doesn't have to be limited to just a few caliber choices. You can make anything happen someone has the right skills/tools.

• Like 3

Please don't take my comments as an attempt to discourage you.

If it weren't for the, "because it's cool" factor, half of my gun collection would be gone.

I like the idea of subsonic (300 Whisper) especially if it's suppressed. I wonder though, would they still have enough power to operate in an ak?

I

• Like 1

It is honestly easier to introduce Wildcat's on the AR because of the gas system. You may have to develop your own ultralight but durable gas system. Not for the faint of heart.

Please don't take my comments as an attempt to discourage you.

If it weren't for the, "because it's cool" factor, half of my gun collection would be gone.

I like the idea of subsonic (300 Whisper) especially if it's suppressed. I wonder though, would they still have enough power to operate in an ak?

I

To those that wonder,I am not jokeing. Sure supersonic is so so but I could not care less about that as I can only imagiane using subsonic ammo. I do most of my hunting with a supressed .45 marlin or a single shot supressed 300 wisper at the moment. I could get a ar upper but in my part of the world I I could probably build up 3 or 4 aks in wisper/blackout for the same price.

I spent a few hours yesterday talking to gunsmiths and trying to find a rifle to build on,I think I have a rifle sorted and there is a can going cheep localy at the moment. The main problem looks like geting a blackout reamer but alomost every gunsmith in NZ has wisper reamers so I may have to go that way.Would much prefer blackout as wisper brass is an arse to make by comparsome

the gas system should not be to hard I hope,lots off people convert mini14s to wisper without much drama. If I can have it so it only works with the can on(more back presure) so much the better for my retarded local laws as that would let me take the can off for transport and still have a folding stock and 9-10in barrel

• Like 2

So, this is a SERIOUS thread? I thought it was funny, so I looked.

This isn't bARFCOM.

Just.... No.

I guess I did ask for any comments but please let me make one of my own-People who make posts like yours are what makes barfcom such a bad place to hang out

If there are other gunsmiths wanting to make a 300 blackout, it may something of an investment to purchase a chamber reamer then rent it out.

To those that wonder,I am not jokeing. Sure supersonic is so so but I could not care less about that as I can only imagiane using subsonic ammo. I do most of my hunting with a supressed .45 marlin or a single shot supressed 300 wisper at the moment. I could get a ar upper but in my part of the world I I could probably build up 3 or 4 aks in wisper/blackout for the same price.

I spent a few hours yesterday talking to gunsmiths and trying to find a rifle to build on,I think I have a rifle sorted and there is a can going cheep localy at the moment. The main problem looks like geting a blackout reamer but alomost every gunsmith in NZ has wisper reamers so I may have to go that way.Would much prefer blackout as wisper brass is an arse to make by comparsome

the gas system should not be to hard I hope,lots off people convert mini14s to wisper without much drama. If I can have it so it only works with the can on(more back presure) so much the better for my retarded local laws as that would let me take the can off for transport and still have a folding stock and 9-10in barrel

that is true,Ill be sending off some emails today to find out how much of a bitch ITAR is going to be for a reamer

sofar the base rifle and can works out to aroud us$600 and the gunsmithes all range from us$600-us$800 to put a wisper barrel on. I think the project is a go

That's not too bad. Same cost as a fully loaded Arsenal. You could spend more on a Krebs easily.

the only problem is I dont get payed in us$ so it is a bit more expesive than it may at first look. That said a remington 700 in stainless is about nz$1350/us$1100 to put it in perspective

It's a import for you so of course it'd be higher. What are some domestics for NZ?

If by domestics your talking about localy made firearms there is only custem guns,nothing off a prodution line. That said nz is gun country so there is a lot of custem makers,mostly small outfits as nz is only a small country

things are coming along nicely

I now have the rifle that it will be built from in hand and should have the can sometime today.It turns out ITAR is not the problem for reamers but supply/demand is. the good news is that a smith I have used before has one on order so ill wait however long it takes for his to show up,this works for me as I will have to save for the next steps.

I plan on doing photos as this project happens but I think it will be a few weeks until anything more happens

• Like 3
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I love this idea, really looking forward to seeing the results.

the people that innvoate are always the ones with a few naysayers.

I really want a 7.62x39 AR, not a 300 blackout. So I guess I'm the opposite.

I like both ARs and AKs. To me hatred of either comes down to how well informed someone is on either platform.

I like both ARs and AKs. To me hatred of either comes down to how well informed someone is on either platform.

Look at the PWS 7.62 ARs that use a long stroke piston. Or, a Robinson XCR.

• Like 1

Look at the PWS 7.62 ARs that use a long stroke piston. Or, a Robinson XCR.

I was originally looking at the olympic ones, but I'll check those out

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...