Polymer handguards only $5.95?! with pics

I went to my local gun store today that has a lot of random surplus and used military items come in. I was hoping to get a new bayonet which I did. But I cam across a little zip lock bag with black polymer handguards in them. They were both top and bottom with the heatshield installed. I looked at the orange price tag and it read $5.95 I was all like whhhhhhhat?!haha.gif I had to pick em up even though I have a russian stock set coming from KVAR for my AK-103 conversion (updated with pic's on 7.62x39 forum). Got home and installed them fit is great and the look great. I was also wondering if anyone could tell me what make are these. Im guessing they are Bulgarian. The only marking on them is a 1-2 or 2-1 I forgot which order they are in. Bulgarian and Russian handguard sets are $29.99 at kvar.

post-41495-0-18327000-1337390351_thumb.jpg

post-41495-0-43872300-1337390359_thumb.jpg

If he has a US buttstock and a US FCG, he is good to go.

only if he isn't using surplus foreign mags OR if another part is switched out (like a piston or floorplate on the mag or something, or if that's a US brake).

I've got a US buttstock, trigger, hammer, and disconnector, and a US pistol grip and I'm not in compliance the instant I want to use milsurp mags and a Russian hand guard set. I'll need to replace one of the other above parts if I want to slap on foreign hand guards. So that's why I was curious what the OP did.

I am using foreign mags.

Here's the run down.

-US trigger group 3 parts

-US stock and pistol grip 2 parts

-US piston 1 parts

For a grand total of 6 US made parts

I also have a bulgarian brake. And yes I did just post to brag, and also to let people know that you can find the parts you need if you look for em. The gun is also not together right now as its being converted so no pistol grip is attatched. I also should have clarified the stock set from Kvar has a us buttstock and pistol grip and russian handguards

Edited by themadhatter196

US FCG 3 Parts\

US Buttstock 1 Part

US pistol grip 1 Part.

If there is no foreign muzzel device, This meets 922r compliance and you can use milsurp mags. Saigas come with a foreign handguard, so this is a wash.

Check it out on gun wiki.

I am not a lawyer, so make your own determination.

US FCG 3 Parts\

US Buttstock 1 Part

US pistol grip 1 Part.

If there is no foreign muzzel device, This meets 922r compliance and you can use milsurp mags. Saigas come with a foreign handguard, so this is a wash.

Check it out on gun wiki.

I am not a lawyer, so make your own determination.

not to sound rude, but you're either not using the checklist yourself or you're leaving a part out. on a stock Saiga that would result in leaving 11 foreign parts on the gun = illegal. Remember, it's not the number of US parts you have that actually matter, but that you have 10 or less foreign.

EDIT: I just noticed that you said the part about the muzzle device, but there IS one on the gun we're talking about. sorry for the above explanation.

I am using foreign mags.

Here's the run down.

-US trigger group 3 parts

-US stock and pistol grip 2 parts

-US piston 1 parts

For a grand total of 6 US made parts

I also have a bulgarian brake. And yes I did just post to brag, and also to let people know that you can find the parts you need if you look for em. The gun is also not together right now as its being converted so no pistol grip is attatched. I also should have clarified the stock set from Kvar has a us buttstock and pistol grip and russian handguards

The US piston is the part I was wondering about. I'm just curious because I'll soon need to replace another foreign part soon. Thanks for the input!

Edited by irishsandman

If it is a US muzzel device, he is good to go.

You will note I said if there is no " foreign muzzel device".

I think you missed my edit a couple hours before your post. I pointed that out and apologized. but it WAS a foreign brake on the gun and he used a piston for compliance . . .

Back on topic, those are the same handguards used on the Arsenal Conversions(K-Var, IIRC). The numbers are for the parts count. Bulgarians do not have the heat shield or the numbers. I have both, and could get a pic if needed.

ETA: the handguard set is marked 1-2, and my stock is marked 2-2. 2 parts.

Edited by Lone Eagle
  • Like 1