S-12 10rnd mag image here

A stick is better since you can carry it easier on whatever webbing contraption you happen to carry all your tactical crap on. It's also easier to wrestle into place in an AK style weapon like the Saiga-12. They also tend to be much more reliable and durable than a drum, which tends to like to fail to feed, jam up, warp cases, etc.

Drums are nice for maneuvering around though, since they're compact, and don't take up as much room below the weapon. Also, a properly done drum, like a Beta style, can hold easily twice the ammo of a regular stick. However, they're a pain to carry around, and reloading them can be really cumbersome, so you're pretty much limited to one.

Essentially, for tactical use (like matches and SHTF scenarios), I'd use a regular stick with reloads on my body. For home defense (like waking up to a crash in the kitchen or the cat screeching) I'd go with a drum.

Alternately, you could split the difference and get the best of both worlds. Make your first magazine a drum, then reload with sticks. It's what I plan to do after I save up the money to convert a Knoxx (or until a pre-converted one is available).

I'll be in waiting. Will they have enough room in the bottom of the mag for the shells to slide into, when installing them into the gun?

I never thought about this but hope it's true. a 10rder that you could reload into a closed bolt would be stupidly cool.

No, it would just be an 11 rounder that's hard to insert on a closed bolt. :lol:

I'll be in waiting. Will they have enough room in the bottom of the mag for the shells to slide into, when installing them into the gun?

I never thought about this but hope it's true. a 10rder that you could reload into a closed bolt would be stupidly cool.

No, it would just be an 11 rounder that's hard to insert on a closed bolt. :lol:

ROFL!! :lolol:

• 3 weeks later...

Nice design work. The obstacle is the mold cost to make the magazines. I agree the stick mags are easier to handle and less complex than drums. Drum magazines get the ATFE's attention a lot faster with their threat to make the Saiga a destructive device. The magazine will count as three US compliance parts.

I guess the question no ones asked, Hey Kevin, are you having any fun???? The mag samples all look great

but then again, this is a guy thing just like your Turbo side of things. Saiga 12's are like poor mans hot rods. The funny thing is just like with cars, everyone wants to peek in and see what's going on. I know this is a business venture, but has it been something fun to work on? Kind of cool to see people mod'n thir 12's and making stuff.

post-1866-1129688035_thumb.jpg

I guess the question no ones asked, Hey Kevin, are you having any fun???? The mag samples all look great

but then again, this is a guy thing just like your Turbo side of things. Saiga 12's are like poor mans hot rods. The funny thing is just like with cars, everyone wants to peek in and see what's going on. I know this is a business venture, but has it been something fun to work on? Kind of cool to see people mod'n thir 12's and making stuff.

If youve ever seen Kevin get down with a TIG, you'll know he likes what he does! You gotta have a love for it to make art like that.

• 3 weeks later...
I have 10 round mag have pics but how do i add to this page some one let know thanks mark

Mark,

Hit the reply button, type your comments or info. and then drop down on the same page to where it says "File Attachments" and "Add This Attachment". Use the Browse button to locate the image(s) you want to upload from your PC. Once selected so the file name appears in the File Attachment window below try hitting the "Add this Attachment" button to see if it uploads OK. If not you will receive an error message and/or file too large message. That means there are too many pixels and the size needs to be reduced before the picture can be uploaded. Once the attachment takes youcan hit the "Add Reply" button and your post will reflect your comments and pictures on the forum.

I hope this is the info you requested and you are able to share your 10 round mag photos. Thanks.

Wolverine

I have 10 round mag have pics but how do i add to this page some one let know thanks mark

Mark,

Hit the reply button, type your comments or info. and then drop down on the same page to where it says "File Attachments" and "Add This Attachment". Use the Browse button to locate the image(s) you want to upload from your PC. Once selected so the file name appears in the File Attachment window below try hitting the "Add this Attachment" button to see if it uploads OK. If not you will receive an error message and/or file too large message. That means there are too many pixels and the size needs to be reduced before the picture can be uploaded. Once the attachment takes youcan hit the "Add Reply" button and your post will reflect your comments and pictures on the forum.

I hope this is the info you requested and you are able to share your 10 round mag photos. Thanks.

Wolverine

Ok, now that you have an idea on the 10-rd, why not make a 22-rd double stack based off the same drawings? YOU KNOW WE'D LOVE YOU FOREVER. It'd be like 2.5 inches wide, and heavy as shit fully loaded, but think of it guys, a whole room, cleared without reloading! The zombies wouldn't stand a chance.

Double stacks only work with rimless shells.

I'd bet it's hard to do. I did here (unconfirmed so take it for what it's worth) that knoxx is working on a doublestack for their conversion. Might not be true. And it might not work out even if they are trying. But it'd sure be cool :)

As far as I know there are no rimless shotgun shells. By rimless I meant shells with a small rim the same size as the case body. Like your .223 and auto pistol shells. With no rim sticking out they will stack flush with each other and can be stripped from the mag while sliding past the next shell. Untill someone makes a shotgun shell like this I don't see how a doublestack is feasable. Maybe you could have a mag with a spacer in the middle or something.

What Cobra said. Think of it this way, revolver shells are rimmed, and for the most part they aren't used in semi auto pistols. I'd guess because of the mag issue?

The only reason I tacked on in the massive drift that we've put in Z's thread is to say .. the Desert Eagles are an exception to the above example. Maybe the issue is difficult but not impossible?

Doesn't matter to me. I'd want these for competition. Only problem will be from prone shooting, which I see rarely. In these cases I'll work with 5 or 8 rounders. Or convert a single knoxx drum. :P

Cobra, what about a double stack s-12 mag that had a slightly angled body towards the back of the gun so the rim of the shell on top was in front of the one under it? Could look fucked up though. Also, wouldn't you need to change the design of the bolt and extractor and maybe the chamber to operate with a rimless SS shell? Not that I see a rimless shell in the near future.