First Post....Question about folding stocks?

The last part I need for my conversion is a good stock, and I've been toying with the idea of one of the bonesteel folder options. I am just wondering how functional are shot guns with the folding stocks? They look like they would be hard to shoot/operate. What are your experiences with folders? Is just a cool factor, or do they actually serve a practical purpose? Just wondering, becuase I know I can save some cash going with a KVAR Warsaw legnth or a CSS M4 reciever extension. Thanks much for your help!

There are many good stocks out there. The bonesteel folder is new on the market, but seems to be a great alternative for those who want a folding stock without having to cut off the rear tang. As far as functionality goes, they are sturdy enough to do the job and come with the added benefit of being able to fire the S-12 with the stock folded (especially if it folds to the left of the receiver).

Really, your stock choice comes down to what you want your S-12 to be. Some people want it to be as light and compact as possible, while others prefer bigger, sturdier guns with more features. I personally have the recoil-reducing Mako SBT K47 stock tube on mine and a Mako M4 stock, and it makes all the difference in regards to recoil. A 200 round day at the range leaves my arm with a slight mark for a few hours as opposed to an outright bruise for days. I personally do not like the options that require removing the rear tang, so I'm stuck with options that are installable on an AK (perfectly okay with me).

Consider all of your options carefully and choose your stock based on what you want your gun to be, and you will enjoy the platform that much more.

KVar WARSAW or save up for one of these....post-22401-0-09939100-1339544457_thumb.jpg

I'd happily use the WARSAW over anything other than an AK100. I have many of both. They feel like home to me.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

They are great.on SG's. I have the Bonesteel, quick, easy bolt on. Folders are for transporting and storage, IMHO. Shooting folded = spraying & praying.

Thanks for the replie, do you have pics of your rig? I've tried doing some searching, and like fourbux said, it's still pretty new and I can't find too much on it.

There are many good stocks out there. The bonesteel folder is new on the market, but seems to be a great alternative for those who want a folding stock without having to cut off the rear tang. As far as functionality goes, they are sturdy enough to do the job and come with the added benefit of being able to fire the S-12 with the stock folded (especially if it folds to the left of the receiver).

Really, your stock choice comes down to what you want your S-12 to be. Some people want it to be as light and compact as possible, while others prefer bigger, sturdier guns with more features. I personally have the recoil-reducing Mako SBT K47 stock tube on mine and a Mako M4 stock, and it makes all the difference in regards to recoil. A 200 round day at the range leaves my arm with a slight mark for a few hours as opposed to an outright bruise for days. I personally do not like the options that require removing the rear tang, so I'm stuck with options that are installable on an AK (perfectly okay with me).

Consider all of your options carefully and choose your stock based on what you want your gun to be, and you will enjoy the platform that much more.

Thank's for your quick replie,you've given me alot to think about. Now I am starting to wonder what type of recoil pads or options would be available for certain types of stocks. Mainly, the KVAR Warsaw style, I know there is the traditional grenade pad, but is there anything else out there that would go over it?

What are your experiences with folders? Is just a cool factor, or do they actually serve a practical purpose? Just wondering, becuase I know I can save some cash going with a KVAR Warsaw legnth or a CSS M4 reciever extension. Thanks much for your help!

My personal favorite is the Tromix with 1" limbsaver, and PUSH BUTTON folder.

Practicality is up to your possible uses....

If there's any possible situation that can run through your mind where you may think it would be beneficial to conceal a shotgun, such as under a long coat or in a duffle bag, a folder would be advantageous.

That pushbutton is very easy to operate and I find it a better design than the standard. I have found the Tromix with 1" limbsaver to be infinitely more comfortable than a standard Warsaw.

Now if you're feeling rich and want to be the cool kid on the block, I'd say get an SVD folder from Rusmilitary. They do however cost more than a new S-12.

On rifles, a fixed stock will be more accurate. That stated, your scatter-gun is not your rifle.

I have the DPH stock with non-push button folder and 1" ace pad. I shot 200 rounds last weekend and felt absolutely nothing. A forward grip helps with recoil too.

The DPH and pad is half the price of the tromix and limbsaver. If I were to do it again I would have gotten the pushbutton folder I think. It's a lot easier to fold.

post-41890-0-55225600-1339674563_thumb.jpg

photo15.jpg

photo14.jpg

photo13.jpg

photo91.jpg

Here is looks like my Krebs Custom safety is stuck with the stock folded, but it isn't. Even with the stock being wrapped in paracord, the safety barely clears, but it clears and I can still manipulate it with my index/trigger finger.

photo11.jpg

photo10.jpg

Here it looks like the bolt is touching the pad, it isn't. It barely clears, but hell even if it did, it would be so minor it may just barely take a little off the recoil pad.

photo12.jpg

Sorry for the crappy quality, but its from my iPhone. All in all, definitely an upgrade. The polish stock is rock solid, zero flexing, and zero wiggling around. If I didn't have the recoil pad on it, the safety wouldn't be able to be engaged or disengaged with my index finger because the pad, when the stock is folded, keeps it about a 1/4 - 1/2 inch further off of the gun, but I think the pad looks like it belongs on the gun.

Edited by socom688

From what I know, it seems the Beryl wouldn't allow for manipulating the Krebs Safety I have, that's why I went with the wire. IMO being able to do everything the same with the stock folded is what's important. Even with a stock safety lever, youd have to move the stock out of the way before manipulating it. That's why I bought the wire, though I will say the Beryl is better looking by far.