Hunting ammunition

Anyone have any experience with a reliable soft point or hollow point ammunition in 7.62x39? I could spend a bundle just trying out different kinds, and I have to drive up into St. Louis or buy online since the local sources only carry FMJ rounds.

Hornady 123gr SST ammo is a good hunting round. Very consistent with my AR 7.62x39, sub MOA. They come in packs of 50. You can find them for about $.50-.55 per round if you shop around online. They should do well in the AK platform too, haven't tried them in my Saiga yet. I have also heard good things about Wolf 154 gr. SP for hunting too. What are you hunting for?

TG

I have heard numerous recommendations for wolf 154 gr SP. For cost/performance that is. It is cheap so you can practice with the ammo you will hunt with. You can then get used to the change in POI vs standard 123 gr stuff.

I have personally not used it.

• Like 1

It'll be deer and wild hogs with that particular rifle. I am looking for particular recommendations because I'll probably make the drive up to Cabela's and pick up a few different kinds, so if anyone had problems with one brand I'd probably not waste my money on them and stick with stuff that everyone liked. I'm sure they carry the Wolf, it seems to be everywhere.

I sold my SW40VE so will be making the rounds of the local gun shops, there's a new one just outside of town that I haven't been in yet, I'll be looking for a small frame revolver or 9mm for a BUG and summer carry locally, I'll check everybody out and see what they are carrying in x39, maybe I'll get lucky and find a closer source.

The Norinco and Silver Bear soft points are killers. I also love the Hornady Zombie Max, I have used them for sighting in and they are very accurate out to 100yds.(Which is as far as I zeroed)

I perfer hunting rounds over anything else.

I've only shot Winchester Super-X, Remington PSP, Silver Bear 125gr, and Wolf 154 grain out of mine. I want to get my hands on some Federal Fusion to try out. The Winchester gave the tightest groups at 100 yds(had several good cloverleafs with my 4x32 scope attached), with Wolf(2007 lot date) falling short. The Silver Bear gave me some good "kill groups", while the Remington would open up to about 3" at 100yds.

Some on-line vendors are reporting problems with Silver Bear(anyone know what?), and have dropped the line entirely. Brown Bear is just as good, but without the zinc coating.

Edited by Lone Eagle