Airsoft For Practice Buying Tips

Of course BB guns and Pellet guns have been around for ever but after suggestions about using Airsoft pistols for practice I started looking around and damn, I had no idea this stuff is as complex as it is now. You can spend serious money on one of these things which I think for practice purposes wouldn't be wise. (too many other things crying for dollars)

So what should I look for, stay away from and consider when looking at these pistols for the stated purpose? I am thinking it would be good to get one that is similar in style, weight and function as the "real" pistol I'm using, Sig P245 and Sig P220.

Good point. In the other thread a few people mentioned using these to train around the house/yard not to take the place of "real" training but in addition to...and it makes sense. I'd never spend large dollars on one of these things but there has to be a "sweet spot" where you don't have to spend big money but still get something that's usable. I'm thinking around $100 but again, this stuff is way beyond the old Daisy Red Ryder I had. I just looked on the Daisy site and they're selling the 70th anniversary Red Ryder for $65...

Edited by Squishy

Tokyo Marui or KWA..... Between airsoft and dry fire, you will get your "money's worth" in training..

I put a couple hundred into my KWA glock with extra mags.. one of the best training investments I ever made..

I found out that there used to be a P220 airsoft sold but evidently it's been discontinued and is sold out everywhere I'm seeing. But the P226 model is available and since there isn't a lot of difference between the real pistols the airsofts are the same way. And interestingly I was just looking at a Tokyo Marui on Airsplat. At $109 this might be the way to go. I also just looked at a vid on YT about using propane instead of the green gas as it's a lot cheaper...probably need to be careful about it.

Green gas has less scent than propane cans.. Propane stinks for inside use.. Some 1 1/2 inch foam sheet should work as a back stock.

Tokyo Marui is a good brand. I have pair of electric Mp5s I bought back in 01' that are still running decently.

Yeah, that's what the guy in the vid said about using propane. But being a bachelor and all I don't have worry about anyone else complaining. Plus compared to the olfactory Armageddon unleashed when I squeeze off a few rounds after pintos and cooked cabbage propane would smell like a sweet spring flower...

Edited by Squishy

It's a blow back. Juggs recommended the Tokyo Marui but it's $75-$100 more and it has a plastic slide. I read some reviews which said that about half the weight was in the mag, 300g. There's a version made by WE that has a metal slide and goes for $109. Of course the guy at Airsplat I talked to likes WE...this one.

Airsoft force on force changed my whole perspective on carrying a handgun. A lot of practice is possible that fills the gap between dry fire and live fire. Lasers are fine, but actually impacting a target gives a much more realistic effect and the pattern of shots can be analyzed.

I picked up a KJW early this year as it is the same size as the Glock 19 I often carry. I have been impressed with the first 600 rounds. The gun fits perfectly into any Glock holster, and it is reasonably weighted with only about 7 oz difference from the real 19. It has an excellent, solid feel with the metal slide.

I have been using green gas for some years with other airsoft and so I wanted to stay with this system instead of moving to CO2.

The valves at the magazine don't leak at all when filling, and in this regard are better than my WA magazines, for which a glove is necessary to avoid unintended cryosurgery from the occasional drip. The gun came very well lubricated, and has worked every time. The slide locks back when empty, which again my WA guns do not always do.

Generous spraying of the magazines with food grade silicone keeps them working great.

I think it is good to consider the expense, as I have destroyed two nice WA guns in fof so far. If you aren't going to be wrestling with tough guys, the nicer guns will probably last.

Don't forget safety gear and some padding. I was shot in the hand by a banker and that really hurt! I wear lightly padded gloves now.

was shot in the hand by a banker and that really hurt!

If this is the most pain a banker ever inflicts on you you're getting off light. wink.png

When you speak of "WA", what does that mean? It could be obvious which means it could go right over my head.

Point well taken about this compared to laser targets.

As for needing pads etc., don't assume I'm going to be getting into running though the woods shootin at others. I've got bad knees, I pretty much couldn't run for my life if I had to...so hopefully I'll never have to.

ADD: Actually the KJW is $10 cheaper than the WE.

Edited by Squishy

Sorry. WA is Western Arms. Also, I should clarify that rather than a paintball type force on force capture the flag type game, I am referring to using an airsoft in brief, scripted exercises to develop an awareness of any weaknesses in equipment or tactics when faced with a situation where you think you know what to do with your gun.

For example, being shot in the hand, and observing how often this happened in the class, I committed to much more ambidextrous practice.

So, there is not any running through the woods. You may have to take a couple fast steps to avoid the first bullets coming your way, however.

Understood.

"...brief, scripted exercises to develop an awareness of any weaknesses in equipment or tactics when faced with a situation where you think you know what to do with your gun"

This is very interesting. It occurred to me that something like what I think you're talking about could be done in a house. Set up targets and go room to room engaging the target, or as I mentioned in another thread, have someone else set up the targets so you wouldn't know exactly where it is.

Thanks for the input. I see the WAs are mostly in the 1911 style...

What ever happened to just practicing with the real thing?

As mentioned nothing can or will take the place of practicing with the real thing. But given the cost of 45ACP ammo, even the cheap stuff and the availability, being able to get a certain level of practice in on my own property, I think alternatives are worthwhile. If I had a warehouse full of ammo and a range in my back yard there'd be no need for anything else.

I've had various guns since I was a kid but I never made a concerted effort to improve my marksmanship which is what all this is about.

I guess it's fortunate that there are two less expensive to shoot alternatives that will simulate the "target" caliber. One is the Sig P220 22LR that is the exact same frame as the P220 45ACP and this airsoft which seems to be as close as you could expect for a $100 BB gun in size, weight and supposedly it has most of the same controls like the decocker etc. and it does blow back. Neither of these will have the same kick but in most other respects are quite similar.

And with 22LR going for roughly $25 for 500 rounds and BBs going for $15 per 5,000 that's a lot of plinking. So I think the benefit will be worth the money spent.

There are pretty good forums for those things. From what I could tell most of the quality ones were pretty close, and any parts that fall short can be replaced. Everything out there in a rifle or carbine format is a marui clone, so getting any and replacing the deficient parts works out about the same.

I do prefer messing with a g3 mechbox though. It is amazing how much more of a hassle these are to work on than real guns or paintball, and how much worse the performance is.

for the pistols, i really prefer gas, and propane is the obvious choice. Just buy good ammo. It will make a bigger difference for accuracy thant replacing barrels and buckings, and many of the better airsoft guns get messed up quickly with cheaper BBs.

Just buy good ammo. It will make a bigger difference for accuracy thant replacing barrels and buckings, and many of the better airsoft guns get messed up quickly with cheaper BBs.

I did do this. Of course there is as much of a selection with BBs as there is with almost any given "real" round but I didn't cheap out on the ammo. At least I don't think I did;

post-41803-0-63587500-1340211584.jpg

AE is a good brand. Matrix which is a store brand from evike.com is fairly decent as well.

I use mostly .25g or .30g for a little better consistency. My brother uses .43g in his DM gun (full length JG "MK36") , 600+fps with about 250' functional range, which is about 50' more than anything on an average field (I rebuilt the gearbox and barrel gear). That actually took longer to build than my saiga .308 conversion.

I started going in circles looking at everything so I finally just picked one figuring by the time 3750 of them are behind my living room sofa I'll know more and make a better informed decision next time.

Well, the airsoft pistol arrived and I must say, it's impressive for what it is. All the controls work just like the "real" thing, decocker, slide lock etc. It weighs roughly 1/4lb less than the 45 which is no small amount I guess but it handles, feels quite the same. It blows back when fired and the slide stays back after the last round. I took some of the advice given and made a "target box";

post-41803-0-32235100-1340635043.jpg

I had to add another sheet of cardboard behind the box as the first round went through the back of the box and through a plastic salt shaker sitting behind it.

I hate the neon orange alteration but it's required...

post-41803-0-06505100-1340635367_thumb.jpg

I don't notice the propane, probably because the stogies have diminished my sense of smell.

Now to obtain the P220 22LR....the skill enhancement continues.

Edited by Squishy

What ever happened to just practicing with the real thing?

You can maximize your live fire practice by establishing good habits with both dry fire and airsoft practice. Some ranges will not allow drawing from a holster or other restrictions which inhibit realistic training. In addition, if you are considering carrying for self defense I definitely recommend experiencing a force on force class where you can test your equipment and yourself in a realistic setting. There isn't much stress standing in one place and shooting a target, and even matches don't create the sort of pressure that facing off with one or two opponents armed with airsoft or a training knife. I have yet to meet anyone who hasn't changed a few of their "range" habits as a result.

Suarez has an excellent DVD on force on force with airsoft that can get you started if you can't find a class locally, and having taken 6 or 7 of their classes I can state that their format and instructors are first rate.

Riccochet and bounce back of these little bbs can be surprising, so always wear safety glasses even when shooting at a target. A full paintball mask is necessary for force on force. Even spectators who are observing a force on force class should have their masks on.

• Like 1

Very good input. I'm shooting at the target above from about 8 feet and I see that my groups are getting tighter. I'd want to get to a certain level before I go the force on force route but it does seem like a good thing to do. I see the wisdom in your point about there being a big difference between standing at a shooting station trying to hit a fixed target and the real world. And yeah, these little boys are hard and will ricochet, corrective lenses are handy in this case.

Caged, I actually have a sheet of that stuff I obtained for another purpose but I don't want to trash it. Well the box shown above finally got to the point where it was filled with paper fragments and it always was difficult to retrieve BBs from so, while in Walmart today I saw an alternative and I'm going to give it a try;

post-41803-0-32658300-1340908743_thumb.jpg

We'll see how it does.

Edited by Squishy

The Crosman gel target works pretty good. The only things is, and I've yet to see it, is that the gel supposedly looses it's tackiness over time. But according to the instructions it can be washed with a mild detergent. Also it seems that hitting the target with BBs that are beat up some cause them to get hung on the target. But smooth BBs do slowly slide down the target into the tray. If you have two shooters using different color BBs you can play games and since it's patterned after a dart board you can do that one too.

For $9 it's pretty cool.

post-41803-0-33782300-1340948584.jpg

Edited by Squishy
  • Like 2

Well I'd recommend using this target at 10+ feet as it seems with my pistol at least that it won't hold up to close in distances. I had this set up on a book shelf so when I'm at the computer I could just pick up the airsoft and rip off a few rounds but this was a tad closer than 8 feet and here's the result;

post-41803-0-58946500-1341075895_thumb.jpg

Btw. if it's not evident, the photo shows the back of the target.

Edited by Squishy