QUESTION ABOUT QUAD RAIL AND SIGHTS

Ok here is the scenario,

Just installed a nice quad rail on the S12.

Its the one with an extended top rail that comes way back.

The rail is crying for sights to be mounted on it.

What I wanted to do, is to mount some flip up front and rear AR type sights on the rail but

I am worried about how high this puts the sights compared to the factory irons.

I'm worried about whether of not the sights will have enough adjustment in them to

work with the weapon and the high perch point of the sights.

So I guess I am wondering is anyone else has used this type of sight and did it work out?

Mike

Actually I have and they are very very cool but no matter how short the sight, its still going to be way higher than the factory sights.

Maybe I am just being silly and this is built into the adjstment and it can adjust up or down that far but, hate to spend the bucks and only then find it doesnt work.

But like you say, those Troy sights are the bomb. mike

No actually its not and I'm not even sure what the differnece is between different quad rails.

I hear about the Chaos all the time and sounds like a wonderful product, mine is an

Omega Tactical billet Quad Rail system.

you can see it here http://www.ebay.com/...=item3a73ff9420

isnt the attachment on

the Chaos for their sights proprietary?

Edited by Dyna962007

The Troys are great sights but a bit overboard and pricey for a shotgun. Why not get some Chaos sights and call it a day? You just have to drill and tap a couple of holes in your rail to secure them.

I agree, I was thinking about that, and how it may not be a big deal to drill and tap it.

May go that way, m

The Troys are great sights but a bit overboard and pricey for a shotgun. Why not get some Chaos sights and call it a day? You just have to drill and tap a couple of holes in your rail to secure them.

I can see how that can happen, in fact I have never liked that look of the top rail coming so far back and being unsupported

like that. So in my case, I was looking at moving the top rail forward a bit to kind of split the difference in the unsupported top or cutting some of the length of it off.

Even with its cut off some, the distance between the front and rear sights will still be greater than the stock set up so that is good.

mike

Be careful with that quad rail. I had a similar one and the top rail ended up getting bent becaues my S12 tipped over in its carry bag. Now i have a paper weight.

Ok here is the "skinny" as I see it. That quad rail is a UTG rail or a clone. Guys have had problems with them in the past because it clamps down on the gas tube too hard and binds it up causing FTE's. I have one on mine but as soon as Magpul starts selling the 870 fore end in dark earth I'm going to steal another members idea and modify it to fit. As for the sights that rail is going to put the sights way high but you can still use the bead sight by looking under the top rail. If you want to use flip ups you'll have to hold your head off the stock to look through them unless you can find a cheek riser to fit your stock that will prop your head up that high.

Hey thanks that's very good info.

I had not heard that about the gas tube and too tight, etc etc.

But it makes sense. How often does this happen is it rare?

I'll tell you that I was apprehensive anyway about the mounting.

I don't like the idea that the whole quad is held in place in that sandwich manner.

if they had machined an area or notch that went back and fit into the receiver to way the

original handgaurd does, I think it would be way better.

I worried it would loosen up or the aluminum material stretch and need to be re-tightened often.

As to the sights, I wasn't so worried about the stock and cheek position but I do know what your saying.

My worry simply was that mounted that high, would there be enough adjustment in the elevation to compensate

for the sights plain to be that much higher than normal, maybe I'm just being silly.

What's worse is when you buy folding iron type sights that are typically used on a flat top AR, they give you choices such as standard height, micro or low profile and level plain vs gas block set up??

Yikes!

Ok here is the "skinny" as I see it. That quad rail is a UTG rail or a clone. Guys have had problems with them in the past because it clamps down on the gas tube too hard and binds it up causing FTE's. I have one on mine but as soon as Magpul starts selling the 870 fore end in dark earth I'm going to steal another members idea and modify it to fit. As for the sights that rail is going to put the sights way high but you can still use the bead sight by looking under the top rail. If you want to use flip ups you'll have to hold your head off the stock to look through them unless you can find a cheek riser to fit your stock that will prop your head up that high.

I may buy that one and just use the tri-rail. I think the bottom portion is pretty solid. Can beat it for $50. I dont want anything atop my gas tube to be honest, Chaos or otherwise. I would go with a side rail first.

I may buy that one and just use the tri-rail. I think the bottom portion is pretty solid. Can beat it for $50. I dont want anything atop my gas tube to be honest, Chaos or otherwise. I would go with a side rail first.

I like your idea for using it as a tri rail. I hadn't thought of it. Also thanks for the information that a quad rail might bind the gas tude. I am new to this and was looking at a quad rail. Might buy the cheap ebay and use it as a tri rail.

Thanks

Kim

Hum, well I think there may be some questions about this.

My quad set up cant be used as a Tri-rail to the exclusion of clamping down on the gas tube.

Its true that you dont have in screw on the top rail and you can look down it and use the iron sights but,

there is still a top that clamps to the bottom and sanwiches the gas tube in between.

So I'm not sure how you can avoid mounting to the gas tube at least on this model

I like your idea for using it as a tri rail. I hadn't thought of it. Also thanks for the information that a quad rail might bind the gas tude. I am new to this and was looking at a quad rail. Might buy the cheap ebay and use it as a tri rail.

Thanks

Kim

You are right....this model is meant to have the bottom tri rail clamp to the gas tube then if you want a quad rail you side it on the part that clamps to the gas tube and screw in place. I didn't like how the rails were offset so I pushed the top rail forward so it was close to even with the bottom rail. Right now the top rail is off and I have the H&K sights I will weld on soon. Like I said Im waiting fore the Magpul Remington 870 fore end to come out in flat dark earth. Then I'll modify it to fit the saiga, Im stealing this idea from another member. I will be light and if I need to add a small rail section I can and it will stay light weight.

post-34773-0-78421600-1342230671_thumb.jpg

That is so funny you said that dude.

I did the same thing, I didnt like that big long unsupported top and it looked weird, so I too

slid it forward to where it was even and used only 4 of the 6 mounting holes but its very solid and the

top rail is now much more stable.

But like you, I'm freaking on the sight thing.

I could leave the rail off and use the stock sights but they suck and I need a bigger faster to aquire type sight.

I've been looking everywhere trying to decide upon the rail mounted irons like on a flat top AR.

I guess with your method, you can just install the front sight and use the stock rear which may work pretty well.

Your thoughts?

Well I just got the H&K sight set from CSS yesterday so as soon as I can find someone to weld them on for me I'll have them on and won't need any top rail. They will work for fast acquisition also. CSS also has that new small rail that goes in the place of the rear sight so if you put a micro red dot on it you will be able to get a co-witness. Thats my plan for my saiga.

Not my Saiga-12 but this is what my sights will look like.

post-34773-0-15526300-1342234161_thumb.jpg

Edited by BLK-HWK-VET

Hum, well I think there may be some questions about this.

My quad set up cant be used as a Tri-rail to the exclusion of clamping down on the gas tube.

Its true that you dont have in screw on the top rail and you can look down it and use the iron sights but,

there is still a top that clamps to the bottom and sanwiches the gas tube in between.

So I'm not sure how you can avoid mounting to the gas tube at least on this model

Thanks

Kim

This is true but you can go with the mount and NOT the top rail. So I guess there would be someting bolted to my gas tube. My main concern would be the top rail which sits way too high for my tastes.