RED DOT PRODUCT REVIEW?

Any idea who makes that side mount in the video for that red dot?

I am pretty sure that is the ~90 KVAR 04s here : http://www.k-var.com/shop/KV-04S.html

It is hard to tell though, because there are a million chinese ones that look near identical for ~$24 and

Guntec USA for ~$50, which I have, and which I had to repair after an impact with a friend's face. Poor quality cast aluminum. I honestly wonder whether KVAR and Guntec just buy the chinese ones and engrave their names in them.

post-17871-0-54383600-1346029585_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-49649800-1346029604_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-52794600-1346029645_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-45747600-1346029650_thumb.jpg

post-17871-0-45747600-1346029650_thumb.jpg

If you can, get a mount with integral rings instead of weaver base. It will sit lower on your gun and you will be happier with the alignment. It will also save you the money on rings and have less parts to shift.

I had that SAME problem, bought a midwest industries side mount afterwards.

That does look superior, and ought to at the price. I would take that over any of the Pic rail type I have seen, but I still think integral rings like the soviet bloc did/does are a better way.

After trying numerous side mounts including the one from CSS which looks like the same one from KVAR, a psop 4x scope and a utg i don't like the idea of a side mount. There are some that hold zero well but are very heavy, there are a few like the rs mount that offer co-witnessing but limit you as to what you can mount and are still heavy. the best mount i have found is the TWS dog leg gen 2 mount. It weighs almost nothing because it replaces the dust cover, has held zero very well with a red dot or scope on it, i have 2, one with a trs-25 and one with a 4x24x44 bsa and offers the lowest mounting possible. if you use the tws dog leg gen2 and a low mounting red dot like the trs-25 it will cowitness. It is pricey at about $140 but you get what you pay for and it offers a lot when you consider what it does. they need to start making these for the s 12. here are some pictures.

20120827224754.jpg

Edited by rogers

Nope, it will not work on an s12 without serious modification. I missed the part about putting it on an s12. My bad. Another option Css now offers for an s12 is a rail that fits in the rear sight dovetail. Don't know much about it though. Sorry for clogging up the thread.

It's an optic made in China. Your money goes to the enemy who will use it to make bullets that will be aimed at your grandchildren.

If you think it's a good idea to put an optic on a rifle that costs as much as the mount, go for it. Please recycle your electronics and don't let them get put in a landfill.

After trying numerous side mounts including the one from CSS which looks like the same one from KVAR, a psop 4x scope and a utg i don't like the idea of a side mount. There are some that hold zero well but are very heavy, there are a few like the rs mount that offer co-witnessing but limit you as to what you can mount and are still heavy. the best mount i have found is the TWS dog leg gen 2 mount. It weighs almost nothing because it replaces the dust cover, has held zero very well with a red dot or scope on it, i have 2, one with a trs-25 and one with a 4x24x44 bsa and offers the lowest mounting possible. if you use the tws dog leg gen2 and a low mounting red dot like the trs-25 it will cowitness. It is pricey at about $140 but you get what you pay for and it offers a lot when you consider what it does. here are some pictures.

20120827224754.jpg

Will this work with an aftermarket stock? I thought it didnt fit on the S12 only the rifles.

Too bad they dont make one for the S12 cuz that would get my money without question.

yep, tws needs to start making these with a front mount that fits in the rear site dove tail of the s 12. i think it would work and be easy for them to do, but i also know they are covered up right now so it will probably be a while if ever. i feel bad even bringing this mount up now since it doesn't work with the s 12.

I've emailed TWS about that a couple of times over the past year, the first one was to see if they had ever thought about doing one and they said that they were actually working on one. And that it would be out in a few months and email when ready. I emailed about 5-6 months later, just in case I'd received an email to a spam folder, and it was still in the works and that I was still on an email list. Both times I replied to that response about needing a new rear sight base so that I could spread the cost out...and both times that was then end of the conversation. I know they want to play their cards close while designing and I'm ok with that. I'll wait.

Point was, there is a S12 TWS somewhere in the future

I got a burris fast fire III but thats out of your price range. I have read good things about Primary Arms Micro Dot ($90ish). It is supposedly a decent rip off of an aimpoint. They are out of stock right now on the website.

I have had two Primary Arms aimpoint micro clones and they both have worked well. My first one had a removeable base and it worked well, but I replaced it with a 4th gen with a fixed base so it could lower third cowitness with my Chaos front sight and LPA-BAR rear ghost ring.

The fixed base model has survived for hundreds of full power slugs and buck, and countless birdshot without losing zero. I would highly recommend them. They do not have an auto shut off, but they aren't going to kill your wallet either. Mine are mounted most of the way back on a Chaos extended quad rail.