My 12" sbs saiga 12

Here is my freshly completed sbs. It started as a 19" saiga 12. I performed the conversion and sbs work myself. The sexy left side charging handle and bolt polishing are courtesy of Pauly. I used a hacksaw and file to cut and true the barrel. I used a die I bought off of eBay ( non split china special) and a TAT. I had to run the die over the TAT to cut the threads a little deeper in the TAT and enable the two to thread easily on each other. Threading the barrel wasn't too difficult, but the it's not the prettiest cut. I backed off the die every turn or so to break the chips and used 10w 30 for cutting oil. I used a file to take the threads back off of the outer end after threading. I left the die on the threads without the die holder as a stop for the file while removing the outer threads. Then I screwed the die further in about a 1/2 turn and hit those exposed threads with sand paper to taper the threading down to the smooth part. The breached tip I have on it screwed on without any issues, so I am happy with it.

photobucket-1613-1343850296383.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

photobucket-4194-1344471497110.jpg

photobucket-9994-1344471539675.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Edited by BB1980
  • Like 1

Without breacher tip, 32" long unfolded, 22" folded. Tip adds 1.5"

Great job on your SBS. Whats the overall length with the breach and without the breach ?

I did fire it the other day. Low brass only. It would not eject a single shell even with autoplug screwed down all the way. I took the gas block off today. I have 3 holes, none are blocked by the gas block. I could get a 5/64 (.078) drill bit down into them with minute room to spare. I found the below while searching the site. A few other threads seemed to agree for 3 hole guns. I guess I am going to give this a shot and see how it runs.

I had no gas block covering issues but i did have fte a few times before and alot after i did my conversion.I did this mod and used a brass wedge instead of the shelf thingies. according to other threads 3 hole guns are supposed to be 3/32 or 0.090. the original holes i think were 5/64 but i couldnt get a 3/32 to fit in.

Edited by BB1980

I drilled out the gas ports last night. I drilled the side 2 to 3/32 (.093). I drilled the back port to 7/64 (.101). Had to make a new gas plug lock pin since I lost mine taking it apart. Got everything back together and still won't eject remington or federal bulk. 3" Winchester X shells cycle just fine with auto plug screwed back out to a normalish setting. I must admit its not had more than 100 shells through it, so I may have a 100rd 3" jamboree one day soon to " break it in". I polished the side rails while it was apart as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Sounds like you have the HomeSBSIttus, its a condition that can develop early on in the Home SBS Job. You can try to self medicate and maybe she will get better however I would take her to a SBS Doctor for a prescription filled. If you are sending your parts off to paully for a bolt polishing and Lefty side charging handle procuring your tools for your first time from EBAY. its Sound like you have not put in the time and graduated from Medical school, and have no business operating on a patient, tt takes more than a short barrel to make an SBS, it takes more than a Short Barrel and Gas ports to make a SBS last, and it takes more tools than a tap and hacksaw to accomplish this.. In most cases,

PS no offense to Paully or the OP just a little fun.

• Like 1

Sounds like you have the HomeSBSIttus, its a condition that can develop early on in the Home SBS Job. You can try to self medicate and maybe she will get better however I would take her to a SBS Doctor for a prescription filled. If you are sending your parts off to paully for a bolt polishing and Lefty side charging handle procuring your tools for your first time from EBAY. its Sound like you have not put in the time and graduated from Medical school, and have no business operating on a patient, tt takes more than a short barrel to make an SBS, it takes more than a Short Barrel and Gas ports to make a SBS last, and it takes more tools than a tap and hacksaw to accomplish this.. In most cases,

PS no offense to Paully or the OP just a little fun.

I was thinking that there must be something about this thing that isn't quite right, whatever it may be.

I was wondering if that would work with a standard length gas system, you may have to shorten it. Dig into the SBS technical thread if you haven already.

It can work fine with a standard length gas system, but everything needs to be right. There is very little room for error on a build like this if he wants to run low brass. I would have moved it back. I just did a 13.5", moved back 2.25". It ran Winchester Universal on the first test fire, just like my 8". This stuff can be easy, but skills and tools are a must.

Edited by evlblkwpnz

I like to tinker with my own junk. I knew it would take a little work, and I am fine with that. It works and fires 3" and heavy 2 3/4 shells just fine. If it never fires low brass, I'll be fine with that as well. If someone wants to shell out the money and waiting time to get a top of the line gun, then so be it. I like to troubleshoot and toy around and learn from hands on experience. I never intended my posts to seem like I was at wits end over my head into something. If I have questions, it's simply for my learning and benefit.

Until i get it tuned, or give up on tinkering, If I feel like running through some low brass for giggles, I'll screw my polychoke onto the end to give it the extra barrel length it needs.

Edited by BB1980
  • Like 4