Smoke Grenades for SHTF or Fun Practice?

I am curious since the ATF ban on the military smoke grenades for civilians what are you guys using for the hand deployable smoke grenades (not the 37mm launcher stuff that American Specialty Ammo sells)?

I would obviously prefer not paying the Hazmat, but want to know what you guys think are the most effective and practical smoke grenades in your experience. If the Hazmat ones are the best, then what brand and sources do you use?

IMO, smoke grenades are one of the best tools you can have in a danger situation... it can cover your movement so you can escape to safety or signal others of your location.

So how many of you guys have these in your SHTF stockpile?

i would go for something that will cover a decent amount fairly quick. paintball smoke will be one of the closer things we will see next to the M18's. ALS makes good shit, but they wont sell to civi's. but we can get some from a company called sport smoke that makes one called the battlefield grenade, and it generates 70,000 cft. or a 2-3 min. duration, and a 4 pack will run you about 100 bucks including that hazmat fee.

• Like 1

In my experience, smoke is good for marking a position and not much else. If you're trying to use it to cover any movement you better hope the wind is perfect, and doesn't change on you.

That is so true but if you are between the proverbial rock and a hard place, anything is worth a shot.

4 parts salt peter, 6 parts sugar. Melt down and mix on low heat, insert wick and pour into your mold.

3 parts salt peter to 2 parts sugar will burn faster. Toilet paper tubes make a good mold for them. You can make a pull ring igniter from some simple items and some kitchen matches as well.

I am curious since the ATF ban on the military smoke grenades for civilians what are you guys using for the hand deployable smoke grenades (not the 37mm launcher stuff that American Specialty Ammo sells)?

I would obviously prefer not paying the Hazmat, but want to know what you guys think are the most effective and practical smoke grenades in your experience. If the Hazmat ones are the best, then what brand and sources do you use?

IMO, smoke grenades are one of the best tools you can have in a danger situation... it can cover your movement so you can escape to safety or signal others of your location.

So how many of you guys have these in your SHTF stockpile?

I'm curious, when did the ATF ban smoke grenades? What a crock!

Guess I'll use up all my old shit on the 4th and build some new ones.

As far as smoke goes, It works both ways better than a tracer. If you have support, it lets them know where to fire, land or stay away from. It doesn't work well to blind people so much. It just hides your ass while you run the other way.

If the shit hits the fan, I'll set fire to everything. Smoke will come naturally! :)

If I was hunting you and you popped smoke, there is a trick to finding you. It's a natural reaction that 90 percent of people make. Most pipe hitters would use this and I'm pretty sure they teach the cowboy cops how to do it now a days!

I totally agree that an unarmed individual "hiding" won't be hard to find if they pop smoke.

I personally don't ever plan on carrying smoke without a weapon if SHTF. My primary purpose would not be in the open desert, but in an urban environment if I had to get provisions or supplies during the day.

My purpose from a movement standpoint would be to lay suppressive fire and then pop smoke for the ability to move to safety without being seen - this would also be better for a group rather than an individual so that cover fire is possible while one person moves and then covers the next while he/she moves.

Engaging people in a SHTF is going to give your position away as soon as you fire and result in a lot of casualties if both sides are committed to the end. Smoke would allow you a possible means to retreat to safety if you had to travel in the day.

FYI, the reason why the ATF outlawed the M-18's and other military style smoke grenades is the fuse material is on the "dangerous materials" list so civilians now need an explosives permit to have them shipped.

Yay Alphabet Agency flexing nuts to fuck us over on one more thing that has no effect on crime! super_man.gif

you can get this tree stump remover from any common place like lowes and it contains a suffecient ammount of potassium nitrate (salt peter) to be mixed in and carmalized with some of the ratios posted. its very effective and i have 1st hand experiance with it. as good as it gets and just as effective if made properly.

be VERY careful when heating up the two compounds and i dont advise it unless you have experiance or heavily research it before hand071121564207xl.jpg.

while the two granulated chemicals are melting down you can stir it and add RITT powder'd Dye to the mixture from somewhere and the smoke will burn that color and when it is poured into a tapped up toilet paper roll or something it solidifys when it cools and becomes hard as a rock.

normally the color would be brown due to sugar becomeing a carmel, but if you add a powdered dye it will change to that color.

if i remember right, isnt pottassium nitrate an ingrident in gunpowder?

id be interested in how to make thermite and tannerite if anyone knows how with common stuff. there used to be this pretty cool stuff you could get from a gardening store called rotenone but they stopped selling it over the counter because people realized what happens when its introduced to water source with fish :)

Edited by skullface405420
  • Like 1

Thanks for the info on the smoke guys. Besides using fuses, what is the best and most reliable ignition system? I have seen the strike anywhere match systems, but they seem like they could fail pretty easily.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

for the stuff I suggested, only one good way, strips of magnesium or you can clog up a propane/map torch and do it that way, but I kind of like having a fuse on 5000+ degree exothermic reactions...

well with the salt peter it is slowed and not as hot, but ya it's not something you want on you.

• Like 1

for the stuff I suggested, only one good way, strips of magnesium or you can clog up a propane/map torch and do it that way, but I kind of like having a fuse on 5000+ degree exothermic reactions...

well with the salt peter it is slowed and not as hot, but ya it's not something you want on you.

hahahaha yeah.. i got burned by some of this smoke formula. it blew up sort of. similar to how bacon grease pops on the stove? anyways a little bit landed on my arm while i was makeing some and it was super super sticky since it was a carmel'd sugar basicly melted down super hot. then theres the other aspect it was on fire and was burning on my arm. the parts that burn spew hot ashes and smoke while the rest of the solution is liquidfying and boiling close to the burning point. i liked to think of it as my run in with acid/tar type substance that was on fire. it hurt pretty bad and i have a perm. scar that just started fadeing away, but i was like 17 when that happend so ive learned.

as for fuses, i picked up i think it may have been a 100 foot cannon fuse online, you know the green kind? its waterproof also. has always worked for me decently, but im sure more reliable stuff is out there...

Thanks for the info on the smoke guys. Besides using fuses, what is the best and most reliable ignition system? I have seen the strike anywhere match systems, but they seem like they could fail pretty easily.

for smoke, I use a looped dual safety fuse like the fuse used on the avalanche control charges. here is basic information on visco fuse. http://www.pyrouniverse.com/ignition.htm and using it with other types of fuse.

loop a long piece of visco to the desired time. it burns consistently so you can learn the timing with experimentation. never cut it with anything but a razor blade so you don't crush it's natural tube. on the ends, I like to slice am 8mm section lenghtwise on the end of the fuse and insert 3 pieces 8mm long of black match. Attach the black match with dental floss. This creates a nice punch at the end of the fuse and you will have two of them heading to the charge. This way you never get stuck with a dud from detonation. If it fails, you know you were drinking when you mixed the (pyrotechnic material).