Recoil control accessories

I will want to make the gun as pleasant to shoot as I can. Partly for my wife, but I have old shoulders as well.

I am thinking two main components; shock absorbing stock and a working muzzle brake.

I don't really know what is on the weapon as delivered, but some of the pictures showed very little at the end of the barrel and understand from reading that the Vepr will take the same barrel attachments as the Saiga 12. If anyone has some recommendations for an effective brake that would be helpful.

Same with a shock absorbing stock. It does not have to be folding, but that would be OK if it had the best performance.

No idea if it is in stock. The vendor accepted the order - that should indicate availability as there were no indications of back order. Actually not even positive if my order worked. Web site is pretty basic and results of the order process were indeterminate. They do not list what credit cards are accepted. Paypal is good to isolate transactions, but if anything goes wrong they tend to suck. So I really have no idea about anything. I did however use a single-use credit card so I have a recovery path and in theory the card information is not usable if it propagates.

When I have more useful information I will add it to the thread.

Start with the most obvious and get a good recoil pad or pogo stock. I personally prefer a solid mount up, so a 1" kick eez pad will be the first step on just about any gun. LimbSavr is about the same level of absorbtion but feels squishier and is more prone to hanging up on your clothes. Either one is a fine choice.

Other stuff like brakes are good too, but for 3 dram birdshot loads, I find it hard to choose between using a brake and the winchoke adapter Cobra762 sells.

CSS has a GK01 clone or possibly licenced copy on pre-order. http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-1577/MOLOT-GK-dsh-01-VEPR-SAIGA/Detail It looks like the only real difference other than USA manufacture is that it appears to lack of a steel insert. I actually think that is better. I am not aware of any one who was not a promoter/developer doing a direct comparison between the offerings of Tromix JTE, Gk01 or any of the more complex mid barrel rigs such as those sold by R&R, the firebird comp or Wakal Dreadnought. It's clear that all of them work. I have seen nothing which could definitively show one of those to be "the best". GK01 is kind of the new big one on the scene and is getting a lot of attention lately because it has only recently become available in USA. The other ones got similar attention when they came out.

• Like 2

Once my Vepr 12 gets here I'll have something I can test fit parts to. Then I'll be able to help more with this stuff. Do regular AK stocks fit the thicker receiver of the Vepr 12? Barrel threads the same M22x75?

Once my Vepr 12 gets here I'll have something I can test fit parts to. Then I'll be able to help more with this stuff. Do regular AK stocks fit the thicker receiver of the Vepr 12? Barrel threads the same M22x75?

IMHO RPK stok will fit, Barrell is the same.

I have an original S-12 C Izhmash poly folder I may want to use. Would this require modifications to my folding stock trunnion? I noticed you (PapaZorro) have a custom looking folding hinge on yours. Also are there any issues with installing a forward latch in the Vepr receiver?

The folding mechanism of Verpr-12 differ from Saiga-12 and based on factory RPK-74 mechanism IMHO so it will be very difficult to use straight Saiga mehanizm on Vepr without changing of Vepr receiver. Some pics of Molot AR adapter an mechanism.

Vepr12_VPO205-00_101010_028.jpg

Vepr12_VPO205-00_101010_029.jpg

Some pics of RPK folding set

post-3-0-95829400-1349922925.jpg

post-3-0-03808100-1349922927.jpg

Scan38.jpg

rpktrun2.jpg

rpktrun.jpg

• Like 4

That is the, hands down, best folding mechanism I have ever laid eyes on.

Please tell me it will be possible to get my hands on one and have it fitted to my Vepr-12?

Why, oh, Why didn't they import these ones - the ones with this awesome folding mech already installed.

Does anyone know if one of the standard kick-EEZ pad templates fit the stock being shipped by Atlantic? I really don't want to try freehand grinding.

Actually, after reading through the Kick-EEZ info on their web site, I would like to modify that to the dual action version. I am a real fan of Sorbothane. It is in my shoes/boots, isolated my water pump from the floor, and keeps the washer in my laundry room from walking out into the hall. It is one of those magic materials that have appeared. A long time ago they ran commercials for pads used in gymnastics where they dropped raw eggs on it. Needless to say, eggs did not break. It is a unique material. The Kick-EEZ people also have a graph comparing their products to others in a similar market niche. I will assume they are not bogus. They show pretty much what I have said. The material is magic.

But, since I have no template of the Atlantic Firearms butt (please, don't go there) I have no way of picking a size.

Edited by alternety

Please tell me it will be possible to get my hands on one and have it fitted to my Vepr-12?

Why, oh, Why didn't they import these ones - the ones with this awesome folding mech already installed.

Because they are not 922r compliant.

Scan38.jpg

Unless I miss my guess - those numbers pointing to different things indicate a patent application was made for this design. Good move for Molot, IMO.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if one of the standard kick-EEZ pad templates fit the stock being shipped by Atlantic? I really don't want to try freehand grinding.

Actually, after reading through the Kick-EEZ info on their web site, I would like to modify that to the dual action version. I am a real fan of Sorbothane. It is in my shoes/boots, isolated my water pump from the floor, and keeps the washer in my laundry room from walking out into the hall. It is one of those magic materials that have appeared. A long time ago they ran commercials for pads used in gymnastics where they dropped raw eggs on it. Needless to say, eggs did not break. It is a unique material. The Kick-EEZ people also have a graph comparing their products to others in a similar market niche. I will assume they are not bogus. They show pretty much what I have said. The material is magic.

But, since I have no template of the Atlantic Firearms butt (please, don't go there) I have no way of picking a size.

Kick-eez's website gives a .pdf sizing template with the dimensions of all their models. Last time I checked, every model made by kickeez was bigger than a a standard wood AK stock, so they could all be made to fit. The laminate stocks shipped with vepr 12 look to be a bit different in shape from a standard AK stock. Since kick-eez sizing info is easily obtainable, what you need to know is how wide and how tall is the butplate on the VEPR laminate stocks.

Because they are not 922r compliant.

Unless I miss my guess - those numbers pointing to different things indicate a patent application was made for this design. Good move for Molot, IMO.

Benelli simply coated a foreign built firearm receiver with their N20 coating here in the states and now it is substantially enough 'MADE IN THE USA' to be 922r.

Following the lead... not sure why other parts couldn't be re-manufactured state side as well. What defines 'manufactured'?

Benelli simply coated a foreign built firearm receiver with their N20 coating here in the states and now it is substantially enough 'MADE IN THE USA' to be 922r.

Following the lead... not sure why other parts couldn't be re-manufactured state side as well. What defines 'manufactured'?

Shh. You might start giving people the idea that 922r is a load of unenforceable horseshit designed to protect domestic firearms manufacturers. Why a guy who spouts liberty and flies the Gadsden flag would follow such nonsense is boggling (unless that guy is full of horseshit, too).

I'm going to get back to re-manufacturing furniture.

I've also been watching too much Boardwalk Empire~

Edited by Koljec

Shh. You might start giving people the idea that 922r is a load of unenforceable horseshit designed to protect domestic firearms manufacturers. Why a guy who spouts liberty and flies the Gadsden flag would follow such nonsense is boggling (unless that guy is full of horseshit, too).

I'm going to get back to re-manufacturing furniture.

I've also been watching too much Boardwalk Empire~

I don't necessarily disagree, but in this case it's preventing us from even getting the parts we want so it is having an effect on 'Us' regardless.

I'd love to see an enterprising importer for VEPRs do this with the folding stocks. Get the parts, and re-manufacture here in the states.

The 'buffer tube' piece on that recoil reducing stock you pictured looks proprietary. It does not appear that stock would fit a standard size buffer tube.

I thought the same until I read the following;

"The GL-Shock’s unique patented design allows it to be mounted on any standard MIL-SPEC or commercial carbine receiver extension (buffer tube). It is a drop-in replacement for the standard M4-style stock. The GL-Shock auto-adjusts to fit both commercial and MIL-SPEC buffer tubes with a tight, rattle-free fit. Unlike other recoil management systems for AR-15 carbines, the GL-Shock does not use expensive non-standard buffers or buffer springs which often affect the function of the weapon. With the GL-Shock, all factory buffer parts are retained, since recoil-reduction takes place in the stock itself"

If the statement about simply coating a weapon with a new bonded coating makes it a US manufactured item, if a licensed armory/manufacturer were to have a Vepr coated with something interesting (that can't be done in the kitchen oven I suspect) it would sure make 922 compliance rather close to null changes. Perhaps someone with suitable knowledge could research this. There are a number of coatings that can be applied by specialty contractors that are way superior to paint. At least one of the processes I seem to remember can be done in a shop with relatively little investment. At least until our ever supportive government decides not to allow that.