Scope mount that holds the best zero?

I recently took out my Saiga M-Series 22" barrel to the range, and had a blast with it. We shot a few hundo rounds of cheap 20-year old chinese surplus. The accuracy was, ok. However, I wasnt to pleased with using the irons.

Now im looking at scope options, and there seem to be many. I want this to be a semi-DMR-ish, very accurate within 300 yards, maybe a little past that, though the round really peters out much farther. Ill probably be shooting Lapua when I wanna waste money, Golden Tiger FMJBT when I wanna waste slightly less.

At these ranges, I dont see the need for an amazingly powerfull scope. However, I am concerned with losing zero on the scope options I see available. Mainly these are:

- Texas Weapons Systems dogleg cover

- Ultimak Scout Mount

- Russian optics on side rail

- Scoutscope.com scout mount

Any other, please mention.

The TWS, I worry about the cover shifting around and causing inaccuracy at 300 yards. The Ultimak seems somewhat more secure, but when removing/replacing the gas tube for cleaning, will it really lock into EXACTLY the same place? If not, same problem, inaccuracy at 300 yards. Which leave the russian mount and scout mount, both seem very solid and more likely to hold zero when removed/replaced.

TWS and Ultimak owners, have you noticed any, even very slight, shifting of Zero when the mount is removed and replaced?

I would mention the Mid west industries MI AK Side Rail Scope Mount. Very low to the dust cover (may be the lowest, I think you have to remove it to field strip the rifle)which takes a second,and built like a tank. Google it. This thread has a nice pic of one on a S12 http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/80759-does-anyone-put-1-4x-scopes-on-thier-saiga-12/

Edited by rnemhrd
  • Like 1

I have cheap UTG side mounts on my S12 ans 7.62 but also use red dot sights on them and on the rifle only want 100yds out of it. If I was going to scope it with quality optics that mid west mount and good rings would be my choice to shoot some distance. I take my mounts off all the time and they hold zero fine. I will say 300yds is a whole different story. Good luck.

I have the cheap Chinese side mount, haven't taken it off as it has just enough clearance that I can remove the dust cover and bolt group without having to dismount it. Not sure which scope I ended up with on it for sure (old and forgetful and too many scopes) but it's held perfect zero in the six months that I've had it on there, my range trips are about 25 miles from home at my buddy's place and usually entail the two dogs knocking over the gun bags and stomping on them a few times while the wife and I are inside KFC at our usual stop along the way...that's good enough for me!

Edited by mogunner

I would mention the Mid west industries MI AK Side Rail Scope Mount. Very low to the dust cover (may be the lowest, I think you have to remove it to field strip the rifle)which takes a second,and built like a tank. Google it. This thread has a nice pic of one on a S12 http://forum.saiga-1...thier-saiga-12/

The Midwest Industries side mount is flawless, i have it on my .308 [check out my pics] and i have took it on and off many times and done lots of shooting i have never lost zero, it is really light really low and well made [quick detach] plus it looks awesome, in my opinion the best side mount available.

I have a Kalinka BP-02 mount with an NcStar 2-6x30mm on mine. Holds zero, even after I remove and reinstall it. It sits low, and has to come off to strip the rifle. With the scope mounted, I can see the top 1/8" of the irons if I need a quick close-range shot.

KISSAK.jpg

Not the best pic, but you see how low it sits.

DSCF0173.jpg

I have cheap UTG side mounts on my S12 ans 7.62 but also use red dot sights on them and on the rifle only want 100yds out of it. If I was going to scope it with quality optics that mid west mount and good rings would be my choice to shoot some distance. I take my mounts off all the time and they hold zero fine. I will say 300yds is a whole different story. Good luck.

I also use the cheap utg side mount. I am way more than impressed with it. I had to cut lines in the contacting sides of the tightening bolts with a razor knife to keep them from slipping. After that, the tightness has been perfect, on and off 100 or more times.

I currently use mine for a primary arms micro, but I did use it with a cheap 4x32. I have never had a problem with it holding zero after taking on and off. And when I say hold zero, I mean absolutely no deviation what so ever. Its great for chinese aluminum.

I have a Russian POSP 8x42vd scope with integral mount that fits on the side rail and it holds its zero perfectly ever time it is removed and refitted.Its nitrogen filled, has variable focus, a rubber eyepiece and an illuminated rangefinding reticule (same as Dragunov scope) and only cost £154 direct from Belarus!.....it came with a cleaning kit, adjusting tool,handbook and a padded camo pouch as well.The elevation turret is set up with numbers that equate to 100 metres with a detent between for each 50m position so aiming couldnt be easier, just work out your range turn the dial and aim.I would highly recommend these Russian scopes,they are rugged and built to last and have the advantage that the ironsights can still be used with it fitted.

I have the Kalinka POSP 4x scope (side mount) on my Saiga and has held zero just fine for over a year now! I install and remove it every time I shoot(scope on does not fit well in my safe)! I have been very happy with it!

Have you checked eastwave http://www.eastwave....cts/scopes.html

or kalinka http://kalinkaoptics.com/

They may have what you need.

Yep, I just havent seen the scope he described for $154.

Oh yea, richuk is actually from the UK and pays with british pounds, not dollars. I looked at the conversion and 250 us dollars equals about 156 british pounds or 195 euros. That may be the problem. Wasnt sure you knew this.

Have you checked eastwave http://www.eastwave....cts/scopes.html

or kalinka http://kalinkaoptics.com/

They may have what you need.

Yep, I just havent seen the scope he described for $154.

Oh yea, richuk is actually from the UK and pays with british pounds, not dollars. I looked at the conversion and 250 us dollars equals about 156 british pounds or 195 euros. That may be the problem. Wasnt sure you knew this.

Spot on, it was 154 british pounds not dollars.Actually got it off Ebay.Wish it was 154 dollars! :)

I haven't seen a test of the TWS @ 300yds. Since I installed one on my 16"er, I've stretched it out to 180 with good results useing the Hornady zombie. I have pretty much done the torture test and I run the rail without the circlip that never fit.

If you have the funds I am sure there is a more sexy apperatus. But for the money I would recommend it.