My adventure with the M4 stock tube.

So I decided to go with the M4 stock tube and magpul m4 stock. First off Id like to say I think Id love this stock IF I could get it to fit. I did go into this knowing it required "minor" modification.

Well know to the minor modification. Well lets just say its NOT minor at all. I would not have gone into this if I realized it was such a headache. I have been filing on this thing for 2 1/2 hour and it refuses to go in. Even took it to the belt sander. For the money you spend on this I think it would be way worth waiting for VEPR specific stocks to come out. I have removed material from both sides and the top and still It sticks about half way in. I have given up for the night because it is too much of a headache right now.

Ill update if I ever get this thing to work. But for this much trouble and the money spent it just doesnt seem worth it. I would much rather have chose one with much less modding required. But thats my fault, my gamble. I look forward to seeing what comes out for the VEPRs specifically though.

Just an FYI for anyone else.

Im looking to get an AR buffer tube and stock for mine. If you decide to go another route then let me know, i may be interested in purchasing them. What buffer tube did you buy?

This one. From CSS.

DSC03341_thumb.jpg

I may take you up on that but Im really trying to decide how to move forward right now. Ive ground on the mounting block pretty good so you could either continue to attempt its fit or well I dont know.

Ill let you know. Im eying the Bone steel stocks.

Edited by Chevyman097

I spent an hour milling on mine last night (I went very slow).... you need to take 0.015" off each side and if I remember correctly ~ 0.020 off the bottom.

But now it is as tight as can be :)

I think the CSS buffer tube is by far the best design. I had one of the first CAA adapters, but it would not allow the stock to collapse all the way down like the CSS does. Very nice feature!

I spent an hour milling on mine last night (I went very slow).... you need to take 0.015" off each side and if I remember correctly ~ 0.020 off the bottom.

But now it is as tight as can be smile.png

I think the CSS buffer tube is by far the best design. I had one of the first CAA adapters, but it would not allow the stock to collapse all the way down like the CSS does. Very nice feature!

man I have taken off the top and bottom. I just have terrible luck I guess. Im going to hit it again tomorrow with the belt sander and try one more time. but Ill give up after that.

This is sad to hear. That same stock is my #1 choice. Sure there are others, but it fully colapses, and sits higher than others, which is perfect for people who want to run eotech or optics that don't cowitness. = {

Maybe CSS or Tromix will start modifying these?

man I have taken off the top and bottom. I just have terrible luck I guess. Im going to hit it again tomorrow with the belt sander and try one more time. but Ill give up after that.

You are not allowed to give up... you're only allowed to come here complain, get support and ideas... and then try it again :)

Take your time, you want it to fit tight, so don't go taking too much off in one pass. Sand, fit test, sand, fit test, and repeat. Even in the end you should have to give it a good smack to fully seat if you don't want any wobble room.

• Like 2

Well I went back to sanding it down this morning with the belt sander and took some more off the top and bottom. After about an hour it fit within 1/4 of an inch and i tapped it on in. Then I discovered the screw provided for the hole in the tang(?under the dust cover screw) does not allow for the recoil spring to go back in. Its too big to seat down in the whole so i had to modify it too. All in all it was a lot of trouble and I look forward to seeing what comes out of the VEPR specific.

It was lots of headache and skinned knuckles. But no pain no gain.

Edited by Chevyman097

I was excited about the price and style of the BoneSteel stock - but too bad - its only Right folding.

Left folding stock means it folds to the side opposite of the ejection port and allows a right handed shooter to grip and fire while its folded.

The only issue I heard about left folding is it can bump into your scope mount on the left side of the receiver, if you use it.

Waiting on the ACE..

• Like 1

I was excited about the price and style of the BoneSteel stock - but too bad - its only Right folding.

Left folding stock means it folds to the side opposite of the ejection port and allows a right handed shooter to grip and fire while its folded.

The only issue I heard about left folding is it can bump into your scope mount on the left side of the receiver, if you use it.

Waiting on the ACE..

We will have left side folders available soon

Waiting on the ACE..

There is no scope mount on the VEPR-12. Also the folder shouldnt interfere with the operation of the rifle. The safety can be put into fire while folded and even put back into safe folded. Yes it would be better on the left side but is still functional as it.

Edited by Lord Ak-47

I ran into the same thing with mine. I worked on it for about an hour at my neighbors belt sander before i got it in. As far as the screw goes i went to Lowe's and got some stainless ones that had smaller heads and it went in without catching the spring. I bought the 10-24 x 1/2 .

• Like 1

Just installed the Bonesteel and it dropped right in. The biggest issue was getting the dang original stock off. I had to bang the hell out of it with a malot but it did come out. Also pulled the grip off to get ready for a Hogue and found the grip screw and bushing to be cross-threaded so ordered another set from Mississippi Arms. The Bonesteel unit is great.

Edited by dwoodul

Installed the Vltor tube. Had to file some material off the bottom corner and shim the rear screw (between the tang and stock) with a washer to make it stick out straight. Looks great now and works well. I must have gotten lucky on the wood stock removal because it literally fell out when I removed the screws. I can post pics if anyone is interested.