We are considering moving to Texas.... how is it?

It is apparent that I am surrounded by a population of about 50% uninformed idiots and I have had about all I can stand. My swimming pool companies have kept me here, but I am considering selling my interest in one of them and moving my family and the other company to Texas. How are things economically there and where in TX would I move to experience less of the criminal element that is related to mexican drug gangs, etc.? Any advice or suggestions appreciated. It appears that Texas is one of the few states with any balls left....

Any recommendations on other business ventures that I should pursue in Texas?

• Like 3

It is apparent that I am surrounded by a population of about 50% uninformed idiots and I have had about all I can stand.

I completly agree with that but, what do you expect??? afterall we are living in "GOD's Waiting Room"!!!! and at least half of the remainder of Florida's population are just under educated, Government leeching thugs!!!! The problem is that every area seems to be raising the same type of an idiottic society! so regardless of where you go, eventually you will be surrounded once again IMO!! Just get off the grid and live well!!!

Good Luck with your Move!!! 008.gif

• Like 2

San Antonio isnt for you with all the mandated water restrictions. The area relies soley on the Edwards Aquifer for their water souce,and is constantly regulated.

As for the grocery store myth, there is very little competition in the SA area compared to other major Texas cities.

Pay is crap also, that's why I live and work in Houston now.

Katrina fucked up parts of Texas, and the illegals have fucked up the rest.

Edited by Jetmech

From the sounds of things when I hear people discuss the economy the big Texas citys have done well. Places like Dallas/ft worth and houston etc... Have not been effected as badly as other places in the US. Places like Dallas/ft worth, houston, austin, san antonia and lots of other large cities have continued to grow and build.

I live NE closer to the Ark/La border. Texarkana is a large border city with Ark. It has continued to grow rapidly over the years and has appeared to weather then recession well.

North Texas is nice. There is still idiots though. You can never escape all of them. Some counties in Texas high highly populated democratic and some are not as with everywhere. The closer you get to the south border the more reports of illegals and crime of course. There is a hispanic population spanning across Texas but from my experience of the northern parts they are different than the ones you speak of in Florida. They work and contribute to society from my experiences.

Good thing about Texas is its huge. You can find your way out into the country within a short time no matter what large cities you live near. Lots of people commute from far out into town to work. So you can either choose to live in the big city, a smaller town, or out in the middle of no where.

I cant really speak on the pool business though. GL with that.

Ill add to anything I think up later.

I too have been contemplating the the Independent Republic of Texas. Heard some good things about Austin. Are they true?

From I hear Austin in pretty liberal. As every place, it depends on location. If it was me and I worked in the area, I would probably live on the outskirts. 6th street is crazy, you dont go there with the family after dark. It gets pretty wild. Not family oriented to say the least.

Hoping to get out their myself come late spring/summer permanently. My nearest neighbor is 4 miles up the road. and I'll be 22 miles from a 'town'..

The good news is my taxes are ultra-low for the 11 acres.. I'm going off grid with 8 solar panels and water from my stream.. (filtered of course)..

Plan on getting an FFL and double up income potential with an outdoor range (sheriff said ok by him)..

My starter 12x24 building/cabin cost me $5600 but was put up in a day even though Home Depot had to drive 140 miles to get to me from ELP..

Heres a picture before the paint from the road.. I sat it back 120 feet off the road..

roadshot.jpg

After paint.. a friend sends me pictures/updates..

61212.jpg

I put up a small 50 foot long fence before we left along the 'driveway'..

My friend put up a mailbox for me as well about 3 weeks back..

Mailbox.jpg

He also put a water tank with pan under it for smaller game.. and installed a game cam..

Apparently this big guy wanted some water.. LoL..

BullCow.jpg

I gave him written hunting rights in exchange for keeping an eye on the place for me.. I send him email and see if he can do small mods to keep it looking on-going and semi-occupied..

I am super-stoked to get out their.

• Like 5

I too have been contemplating the the Independent Republic of Texas. Heard some good things about Austin. Are they true?

Austin is a great city,but more exspensive then other big Texas cities. Great scenery, culture, and everything else.

Traffic is bad as the highway system was never designed to handle the population boom Austin has seen.

Nice city if you can afford it.

Scratch Texas. If amnesty is given, it will likely become a blue state if they are allowed to vote. Maybe Montana.... but I doubt I could make enough to survive in the pool business there.

It is apparent that I am surrounded by a population of about 50% uninformed idiots and I have had about all I can stand.

That's from all the elderly liberals from up here in MA moving down there. My grandparents moved down to FL years ago, as well as their brothers and sisters. They are all very liberal. I want to move to NH soon, I like the Northeast but hate the typical mindset of the area. Good luck wherever you choose. Seems no matter where you go the libs are spreading in

Depends on what you heard. It is a beautiful area close to the hill country. Problem with Austin proper is that it is a college town and very liberal. You could live in the hill country and go to Austin to work and have a pretty ideal situation. Live in the country around a group of like minded folks. I live in the N. Dallas area and cannot get my bride to move to the country. Guess I'm stuck after 31 years.

Actually this is more retirement thinking than relocating for work. Although the idea of doing it sooner is appealing. I'm a country boy so outside of the city proper is exactly what I am thinking. I'm seeing singles on 5 acres in the 175,000 range. That is very reasonable compared to Southeastern PA.

As for the liberals in the city. They are always good for a laugh every now and then. Philly has them too.

• Like 1

I completly agree with that but, what do you expect??? afterall we are living in "GOD's Waiting Room"!!!! and at least half of the remainder of Florida's population are just under educated, Government leeching thugs!!!! The problem is that every area seems to be raising the same type of an idiottic society! so regardless of where you go, eventually you will be surrounded once again IMO!! Just get off the grid and live well!!!

Good Luck with your Move!!! 008.gif

Amen brother. Here in N. Ga. it has become exactly the same. It started when the Katrina rats arrived in herds from a submerged New Orleans, and has continued with uncontrolled immigration and the suicidal chase of diversity being promoted by business, education, and government.

The area I live in holds absolutely no resemblance to what it was a mere 10 years ago, and things are getting worse by the day...

Edited by Jpanzer

I live in the Beaumont area. It's somewhat economically insulated because of all the refineries. There's a large gun and hunting culture here. People kinda stare down there nose at your ugly ass AK's, but screw 'em. lol. There isnt much in the way of "culture" in this area but you can always find work and the COL is cheap compared to the bigger cities. There's plenty of country type areas with land to purchase, if you don't mind skeeters and pine trees.

Edited by bigdust80

San Antonio isnt for you with all the mandated water restrictions. The area relies soley on the Edwards Aquifer for their water souce,and is constantly regulated.

As for the grocery store myth, there is very little competition in the SA area compared to other major Texas cities.

I agree with you on the water part. The rest has not been my expierence.

I have lived in SA and most of the family is still there. UTSA was nicknamed UT Boerne it was so far from town, Ingram park Mall before it was built is where friends used to set off explosive hooked to gasoline barrels, and no one ever blinked, 1604 was two lane country loop, and bobcats still roamed freely, and occasionally you could get high with a cop or two.

Today's San Antonio isn't what it used to be, petty crime is rampant, cops are pricks, city government sucks, taggers are out of control, and tourism is the number one industry which doesn't pay shit.

The city only has one major sports team, and a empty stadium that was supposed to land the NFL which the city cant support.

Unless you're in the military or have been transferred by a company, or know people , making a decent living in SA is difficult.

I feel safer in Houston then San Antonio, maybe its the way the cities newscasters sensationalize everything.

I have lived in SA and most of the family is still there. UTSA was nicknamed UT Boerne it was so far from town, Ingram park Mall before it was built is where friends used to set off explosive hooked to gasoline barrels, and no one ever blinked, 1604 was two lane country loop, and bobcats still roamed freely, and occasionally you could get high with a cop or two.

Today's San Antonio isn't what it used to be, petty crime is rampant, cops are pricks, city government sucks, taggers are out of control, and tourism is the number one industry which doesn't pay shit.

The city only has one major sports team, and a empty stadium that was supposed to land the NFL which the city cant support.

Unless you're in the military or have been transferred by a company, or know people , making a decent living in SA is difficult.

I feel safer in Houston then San Antonio, maybe its the way the cities newscasters sensationalize everything.

Well, I'm glad Houston is working out for you. I have a different opinion about SA. Alot has changed since some of the events you have mentioned. UTSA is 3 to 4 times as large as it use to be, and has a football program now. So, there has been a ton of growth else the school would not have expanded. In fact we have a housing shortage here. Boerne has another high school, and has had booming growth as well. Plus aviation and oil are huge industries in SA. Anyway, Houston traffic sucks balls. Other than that I like it. Have a ton of friends there.

I don't want to make this into a Houston verses, thread. Like I said, just my take on things.

Edited by redfish28

Well, I'm glad Houston is working out for you. I have a different opinion about SA. Alot has changed since some of the events you have mentioned. UTSA is 3 to 4 times as large as it use to be, and has a football program now. So, there has been a ton of growth else the school would not have expanded. In fact we have a housing shortage here. Boerne has another high school, and has had booming growth as well. Plus aviation and oil are huge industries in SA. Anyway, Houston traffic sucks balls. Other than that I like it. Have a ton of friends there.

I don't want to make this into a Houston verses, thread. Like I said, just my take on things.

SA's aviation jobs don't pay squat, and are normally contact jobs that don't last.We hire some of our new employees from SA aviation outfits. Used to work on Governor Briscoes King air, and help maintain Reds Mc's Lear.

I have relatives that live in Boene, nieces & nephews who go to UTSA, and Houstonias think SA's traffic sucks..

SA traffic lights are poorly timed, and at least in H town traffic moves, cops ignore you if pass them up 5-8 mph over the limit during peak times. H town also has HOV lanes and is a very easy city to get around.

BTW....I'm in San Antonio every 4-6 weeks for family events, read http://www.mysanantonio.com/ daily.

Houston area has it all over SA except for the hills.

Edited by Jetmech

Maybe Vegas? I hear summerlend..land is nice. Never been there. Lots of people. and its hot enough for pools. if thats what you're gonna stick with?

I asked a mod here about permission to start a thread to gauge interest in something quite a bit more interesting. He turned it over to Makc and I have not yet received a reply.

SA's aviation jobs don't pay squat, and are normally contact jobs that don't last.We hire some of our new employees from SA aviation outfits.

I have relatives that live in Boene, nieces & nephews who go to UTSA, and Houstonias think SA's traffic sucks..

SA traffic lights are poorly timed, and at least in H town traffic moves, cops ignore you if pass them up 5-8 mph over the limit during peak times. H town also has HOV lanes and is a very easy city to get around.

BTW....I'm in San Antonio every 4-6 weeks for family events, read http://www.mysanantonio.com/ daily.

OK, I think everyone gets, it you hate SA. In fact, no one should ever move there. Any other points you would like to make. If not move on, or start another thread. This is Evil's thread, and you have more than stated your opinion. No need to continue back and fourth. It's a waste of time and counter productive. Not trying to be a jerk about it, but I mean like, what's the point? Agree to disagree? I still have love for H-town, DFW, Austin, etc.

Edited by redfish28

SA's aviation jobs don't pay squat, and are normally contact jobs that don't last.We hire some of our new employees from SA aviation outfits.

OK, I think everyone gets, it you hate SA. In fact, no one should ever move there. Any other points you would like to make. If not move on, or start another thread. This is Evil's thread, and you have more than stated your opinion. No need to continue back and fourth. It's a waste of time and counter productive. Not trying to be a jerk about it, but I mean like, what's the point? Agree to disagree? I still have love for H-town, DFW, Austin, etc.

I don't hate SA....far from it.....there are far better cities in Texas for Evil to make money in that's all.

I don't hate SA....far from it.....there are far better cities in Texas for Evil to make money in that's all.

Thats cool. Fair enough.

Edited by redfish28

Maybe Vegas? I hear summerlend..land is nice. Never been there. Lots of people. and its hot enough for pools. if thats what you're gonna stick with?

I asked a mod here about permission to start a thread to gauge interest in something quite a bit more interesting. He turned it over to Makc and I have not yet received a reply.

keep us updated :up: