Sig mosquito versus Walther P22? Recommendations?

If I could go back in time, I would probably have just bought a P226 and grabbed a conversion kit later on. Or a CZ 75 with conversion. Hell, there is a .22LR conversion now for almost any popular auto design.

The only downside to that is that you are wearing out other parts of the pistol when you put multiple bricks of .22LR through it. It's nice to have a single plinker that you can just wear out. Still, I have too many bricks to count through my Mosquito, and no signs of any part giving out or wearing away.

Edited by mancat

i vote for the keltec pf9 and 22 conversion.... that way ya got a 9, but more importantly the 22....

ANYTHING but the walther or sig.... go with the ruger 22/45 lite!!

the mosquito i had was ammo sensitive with EVERYTHING....

the p22s are ok, but walther (s&w) warranty is only 1 year now... pretty lame for a pot metal gun...

I am taking her out tomorrow to look at several of the options above. As far as wearing out critical parts on a conversion, I am not too worried, just as there is a conversion kit for nearly every popular platform, there are aftermarket replacement parts for key wear items. I typically tend to pick those up and keep them on hand before I ever need them.

I am leaning towards a dedicated .22 as opposed to a conversion at the moment strictly for immediate financial purposes. I love the idea of her learning on a dedicated frame and then moving up in caliber. However the is no guarantee she will get into pistols the way she is into rifles. So we shall see. Thank you everyone for the valuable advice.

• Like 1

The Mark II is still on the table.

The Mark II is nice. I had one for a few years that I sold to a friend, because I wanted the Mark III Target Hunter. Very nice .22. Very accurate and mine eats any ammo I feed it since I de-lawyerized it ( removed the load chamber indicater and magazine disconnecter ). It was a real pain in the ass to assemble and disassemble before delawyerizing, but quite simple now. Its also much easier to clean, and the mags pop out nicely with the disconnector removed. I put on Volquartzen grips, a Volquartzen sear, a Volquartzen muzzle brake and mounted an Ultra Dot Match scope on it. Tons of fun to shoot!

Here's mine...

post-8269-0-40762800-1353980884_thumb.jpg

post-8269-0-10723200-1353980922_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

looks like you spent more on a .22 than i did on my .45--- i like it though, i was looking at the mark ll or buckmark myself, i carry a 10-22 for trapping and want somthing smaller, was reading somewhere that these little autos were more inherently accurate than the little wheel guns, i also shoot autos in all my full sized pistols so it would probably be better to stick with the functions i'm used to- glad this thread was started

The only downside to that is that you are wearing out other parts of the pistol when you put multiple bricks of .22LR through it. It's nice to have a single plinker that you can just wear out. Still, I have too many bricks to count through my Mosquito, and no signs of any part giving out or wearing away.

I'm with you. If I wear out my P22, I'm out $300 which is what I paid for it new and I'll get another one close to the same price as I can get it at dealer's cost. My P22 sees more rounds than you could imagine so I'm not going to put a kit on one of my Glocks or 1911s and wear them out for shits and giggles because I'd like to depend on them in their full size configuration.

the p22s are ok, but walther (s&w) warranty is only 1 year now... pretty lame for a pot metal gun...

I quit logging rounds in my little "pot metal gun" at 10k and it has had a shitload more put through it than that as it is one of my kids' favorites and I don't mind feeding that many rounds in it for the price of .22lr. If they wear it out or break it, I'll buy another. I do have a true "pot metal gun" which has had an equal amount if not more rounds through it and it is still ticking like a Timex. (GSG-5).

• Like 1

Check out keep shooting, they have p22 mags for just under $20.. My p22 ran great on all ammo (even subsonic), but I ended up selling it to buy an advantage arms conversion for my glock 34.

Good price on genuine Walther P22 mags.

Tried out several tonight. Looks like it's going to be a P22. It's the one she liked and fit her hand the best. After doing quite a bit of reading, I am not crazy about how the thing breaks down, but it will teach her the importance of knowing how to break down the firearm for cleaning, how it works, and get her comfortable with it. (At least until she buys her first AK)

We'll break it in properly with high velocity ammo. That seems to be the trick with the P22 to get it to cycle reliably with a variety of ammo. It's good to hear that many of you can cycle subsonics, as a .22 can is in my immediate future. I will also check out presto_z's recommendation on the mags. That is an excellent price.

• Like 1

Tried out several tonight. Looks like it's going to be a P22. It's the one she liked and fit her hand the best. After doing quite a bit of reading, I am not crazy about how the thing breaks down, but it will teach her the importance of knowing how to break down the firearm for cleaning, how it works, and get her comfortable with it. (At least until she buys her first AK)

We'll break it in properly with high velocity ammo. That seems to be the trick with the P22 to get it to cycle reliably with a variety of ammo. It's good to hear that many of you can cycle subsonics, as a .22 can is in my immediate future. I will also check out presto_z's recommendation on the mags. That is an excellent price.

Aye, both of mine cycle subsonics perfectly. The Aguila SSS (60-grain subsonic) stuff is great, but use through a can at your own risk - it won't always stabilize without the proper twist rate (1 in 9 or greater seems to be the consensus), and baffle strikes suck.

I've been lucky enough to never have a baffle strike using that stuff, but I've heard of it happening.

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I'd finish up this thread with a couple of pics of my purchase for my daughter. I was getting ready to do the paperwork on the P22 when I spotted a Ruger 22 45 Lite. I typically don't change my mind once I have done research, but I liked this little pistol. I ended up spending a little more, but after looking at the aftermarket for it and getting it out to the range, I am very pleased with the purchase and think she is going to love it.

The gun is extremely accurate. I am a much better rifle shooter than pistol shooter. I put a cheap micro reflex dot (Sphinx) and shot from a rest at 15 yards. The center is the final 5 shot group after sighting in the red dot. The gun's accuracy definitely far exceeds mine.

2245Rangetest.jpg

Here is the the "package" she will open up on Christmas morning.

2245giftpackage-1.jpg

Hopefully it will be something she can hone her skills with and be proud of for many years to come. Now I have to find some new grips for my 1911, since I stole the Hogue off of mine to go on hers. :) Thanks for the input all. It was greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

The Mark II is still on the table.

The Mark II is nice. I had one for a few years that I sold to a friend, because I wanted the Mark III Target Hunter. Very nice .22. Very accurate and mine eats any ammo I feed it since I de-lawyerized it ( removed the load chamber indicater and magazine disconnecter ). It was a real pain in the ass to assemble and disassemble before delawyerizing, but quite simple now. Its also much easier to clean, and the mags pop out nicely with the disconnector removed. I put on Volquartzen grips, a Volquartzen sear, a Volquartzen muzzle brake and mounted an Ultra Dot Match scope on it. Tons of fun to shoot!

Here's mine...

fffpatriot,

I may be shooting you a pm sometime as I already have the bushing on order for the mag disconnect. It is the most annoying thing about the gun, besides the breakdown and reassembly. I agree though. Although Ruger makes some fine firearms, IMHO their liability attorneys are getting a little too much say in the design department. I applaud adding safety features to a firearm as long as they don't interfere the expected operation and enjoyment of the firearm. Ruger's manual reads like a lawyer's briefing document. Before long they are going to be requiring a 6 digit pin code to be entered each time prior to pulling the trigger.

I noticed the flash hider in the case, what's it threaded. You know she's gonna need a can for that gun. smile.png

It's 1/2X28. Why do I need to buy a can when you are two counties away? :) Seriously though, a form 1 and form 4 are in my immediate future. I need to get off my "can" and get the paperwork submitted.