How Popular is the Saiga Now?

Its been about 2 years living as an expat since Ive returned to the US but I have been hearing from my friends about the rise in popularity of the Saiga. I would like to ask the members here- how popular is the Saiga? Is it the most popular semi-auto shotgun now or is it still a distant brand compared to the old reliables like Mossberg or Winchester?

I have found that maybe 1 in 10 shooters that come into the shop I 'smith at actually know what a Saiga 12 is. Most people still think their tube-fed shotgun is a badass machine. Ignorance is bliss.... and less expensive.

I can say for sure that the Saiga 12 that I use for 3 Gun is indeed the most hated shotgun on the premises when I compete. I never win my division, but wax their ass on the shotgun only stages.

• Like 6

Its still not that popular. A lot of people that herd of it, think its junk like the rest of the AK family and know nothing about it. They seem to think that the Benelli is still the greatest semi-auto shotty out there. Its pretty sad, but funny at the same time.

• Like 2

Its still not that popular. A lot of people that herd of it, think its junk like the rest of the AK family and know nothing about it. They seem to think that the Benelli is still the greatest semi-auto shotty out there. Its pretty sad, but funny at the same time.

I hear that shit all of the time. I just stare blankly and think about the fact that they have not eaten the fruit of knowledge when it comes to shoguns, until they get done ratling on about that 1800's tech, then I show them a video and point out the fact that a Bennelli can't do that no matter what is done to it.... even if it has the stupid looking X-Mag.

• Like 2

My s12, is for HD. U don't care what any opinions are it's a highly reliable tool, and is used a such. When it comes to selfdefense, I'm not concerned with media, but survival. The media would only have a "field day"of you used it in obviously criminal manner, using it in legal self defence wouldn't suit their agenda. So it wouldn't be mentioned.just a shotgun.

• Like 6

Eh. B-M4 can't do more than 9 rounds, but 9 rounds is alot on board for a HD shotgun. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Even 9 rounds weighs the weapon down, as we all know 20+ is even heavier. Not sure I want to wield 21 rounds of buck lugging that weight when i have to be nimble. It's fun at the range sure...

Unfortunately these type of guns have a bad image in the media and general population , I'm not saying that's right because it isn't . Do I trust my saiga for HD ? He'll yeah but the cops or media could put their anti gun spin on it if something were to happen.It's only my preference not to use an "assault " looking rifle for HD . No point in saving my life to be locked up for the rest of it. Unfortuniaty image is would play a big part.

I think the details will matter much more than which legal to own weapon you use if something "happens". If you shoot someone in the back while crawling out a window (which can be done with any firearm), shoot them in your yard (which can be done with any firearm), empty a higher capacity magazine into the perp after he's down (which can be done with almost any firearm) etc. it won't matter whether you're using a pistol, a rifle or a pump shotgun. I think it's safe to say that most here who use a S-12 as their go to gun for HD don't have a 20 round drum or even a 12 round stick attached, most likely a 10 or 8 rounder about the same as many pumps. And where you are located geographically will have a lot to do with the aftermath also. In some areas if your response results in the death of the perp you'll be proclaimed an "executioner" whether it's by gun, knife or baseball bat.

But IMO it's ludicrous to think you'd get locked up at all much less for life for using a legal self defense tool unless you do something ill advised which could have been avoided with adequate forethought and training.

In the end though it's a personal choice.

• Like 2

I think the details will matter much more than which legal to own weapon you use if something "happens". If you shoot someone in the back while crawling out a window (which can be done with any firearm), shoot them in your yard (which can be done with any firearm), empty a higher capacity magazine into the perp after he's down (which can be done with almost any firearm) etc. it won't matter whether you're using a pistol, a rifle or a pump shotgun. I think it's safe to say that most here who use a S-12 as their go to gun for HD don't have a 20 round drum or even a 12 round stick attached, most likely a 10 or 8 rounder about the same as many pumps. And where you are located geographically will have a lot to do with the aftermath also. In some areas if your response results in the death of the perp you'll be proclaimed an "executioner" whether it's by gun, knife or baseball bat.

But IMO it's ludicrous to think you'd get locked up at all much less for life for using a legal self defense tool unless you do something ill advised which could have been avoided with adequate forethought and training.

Exactly. If the firearm is legal for you to own then you can defend yourself with it.

As to the OP: I would say they're probably *more* popular than when you left, but only in name and I'd attribute that to vidya games (Arma 2, BF3, CoD). I haven't found anyone locally, even amongst my shooter friends that have any real knowledge of them outside of, "Oh, the AK shotgun?".

In the past three years I have met one person outside of a gun shop that knows what the Saiga 12 is. That doesn't tell us much of course (maybe I don't get out often). I have never heard people casually discussing Izhmash, Saiga, RAA, or Arsenal, etc. I'm probably just not in the right crowd.

its catching on the 3 gun range here - but it is most expensive about $700 to $800 for a shotgun. It is also still hard to find - gun shops tell us - "better order it or it goes fast".

Price was $600 to $700 about a year ago, now I see $700 to $800 for same.

I built my SBS for HD duty. I have spoken to many LE about using NFA items for HD. The weapon is of no relevance as long as it isn't a DD (grenade, grenade launcher, etc.). Overkill or obvious intent to kill is of more concern than which weapon is used. For instance, shooting someone in the face with 8 shots of buckshot might be viewed as "mean" by a jury. Their general consensus seems to be that anything over 3 shots at close range could create problems. The goal is to stop the immediate threat, not turn it into hamburger.

• Like 2

I have a benelli m4 and a saiga 12, I wouldn't part with either gun but not only is the benelli better out of the box it's my go to HD gun as well and never had issues with light loads .

+1.

Of the ten or so S12 in the house, the only shotgun that rests next to he bed is a Benelli M4.

As to the popularity, we are still a sub-culture. But, with time, this forum, and more aftermarket support they are gaining a bit of ground.

As to the popularity, we are still a sub-culture. But, with time, this forum, and more aftermarket support they are gaining a bit of ground.

I have no problem with not being part of "the crowd" or doing things differently as long as it's viable and effective. While I wish those who make their livings with these shotguns well, how popular they are among the general population makes no difference to me...in fact, I'd just as soon stay under the radar...but that's just me. More and more, not being a part of popular culture is a good thing.