Penetration test 5.45 7.62x39 308 5.56

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Penetration doesn't equate to cavitation/wound channel damage. 5.45 x 39 mm didn't fare too well in Afghanistan for the Soviets who had to revert back to 7.62 x 39mm for a primary small arms caliber.

Here you go. First, how to interpret test shots in gelatin.  

For me, depends. I know I dont want to get shot by any of them, but I found the test pretty interesting. I thought the 5.56 would have done just as good as the 5.45, and expected the .308 to own them all. In the end it did. He should have thrown a Mosin in for good measure.

It makes me wonder about a bullets frontal mass vs. velocity vs. density of the wood.

Ive always been a fan of the 5.45, but feel that a persons preferences on caliber selection will vary as wide as ones' taste in music. I like the .308 a lot too, but dont currently have any rifles that shoot it.

• Like 1

Penetration doesn't equate to cavitation/wound channel damage. 5.45 x 39 mm didn't fare too well in Afghanistan for the Soviets who had to revert back to 7.62 x 39mm for a primary small arms caliber. With all of the hardware and ammo left upon their withdrawl, even the Dirkas aren't using the 5.45.

• Like 4
For me, depends. I know I dont want to get shot by any of them, but I found the test pretty interesting. I thought the 5.56 would have done just as good as the 5.45, and expected the .308 to own them all. In the end it did. He should have thrown a Mosin in for good measure.

It makes me wonder about a bullets frontal mass vs. velocity vs. density of the wood.

Ive always been a fan of the 5.45, but feel that a persons preferences on caliber selection will vary as wide as ones' taste in music. I like the .308 a lot too, but dont currently have any rifles that shoot it.

I agree. From what I've seen and heard though, the 5.56 has a real problem with penetration as compared to the 5.45. I haven't looked at loading charts for the two but I thought the 5.56 would have to have more powder pushing it. Guess I should check chamber pressure for the two. Other than that, it pretty much has to be bullet design.

Now the 7.62x39 and 308 should be a more direct comparison with bullet diameter being almost identical. I still suspect it's the bullet itself rather than the push behind it. Also as was stated, this is not a scientific test. Too many variables involved.

I will say this though. While I haven't shot a 5.45 and thus can't comment on it, I have shot the other three. In my observations, the 308 puts up a far more massive dirt explosion behind the target than the other two. Comparable to the 7.62x54r.

Screw it... I'm selling my guns and buying trees! COME GET ME!

Coolish! I was gonna throw my Christmas tree out but maybe you want it instead.

Wonder how the green tip .223 'penetrator' rounds would do...

Got some but have never shot them, so again, I dunno.

• Like 1
5.45 x 39 mm didn't fare too well in Afghanistan for the Soviets who had to revert back to 7.62 x 39mm for a primary small arms caliber. With all of the hardware and ammo left upon their withdrawl, even the Dirkas aren't using the 5.45.

I dont know MT. I cant say what they did over there. Ive looked all over trying to find info in the past on this issue, but never came up with shit. I was under the impression that the 5.45 did fairly well in terms of performance.. Very comparable to the 5.56. Got a link to any info that can shine some light on it?

• Like 1

Screw it... I'm selling my guns and buying trees! COME GET ME!

Coolish! I was gonna throw my Christmas tree out but maybe you want it instead.

Sounds good. Guns are for sale at current market prices... I think that makes my s-12 around a bazillion dollars! :)

Penetration doesn't equate to cavitation/wound channel damage. 5.45 x 39 mm didn't fare too well in Afghanistan for the Soviets who had to revert back to 7.62 x 39mm for a primary small arms caliber. With all of the hardware and ammo left upon their withdrawl, even the Dirkas aren't using the 5.45.

Source(s)?

I will say this though. While I haven't shot a 5.45 and thus can't comment on it, I have shot the other three. In my observations, the 308 puts up a far more massive dirt explosion behind the target than the other two. Comparable to the 7.62x54r.

You're really missing out. I've not yet had a single person - including .223/5.56 guys - fire my 5.45 without immediately falling in love with the round.

Edited by W8lifter
  • Like 2

You're really missing out. I've not yet had a single person - including .223/5.56 guys - fire my 5.45 without immediately falling in love with the round.

Ive had this happen a few times.

Ive had this happen a few times.

Oh yeah? Just wait til I get my 338 Lapua! That's right, that's right, we bad!

• Like 2

As a AK74 owner I like the result, but meh, it doesn't really prove much. Too many variables. Tree sugars and water content inside the trunk were most likely frozen due to being exposed to freezing temps for a considerable time period. This would naturally inhibit penetration by any round. He should have at least made this a two parter by doing the same experiment during summer temperatures and comparing penetration from both tests...

Edited by Jpanzer
  • Like 1

I really just can't figure out why the x39 did better than the .308 considering the similarities of the bullets themselves. Only thing I can think is that somehow the higher velocity of the .308 was causing more deformation of the bullet against the frozen tree, similar to how 5.56 only reliably fragments above a certain speed.

• Like 1
5.45 x 39 mm didn't fare too well in Afghanistan for the Soviets who had to revert back to 7.62 x 39mm for a primary small arms caliber. With all of the hardware and ammo left upon their withdrawl, even the Dirkas aren't using the 5.45.

I dont know MT. I cant say what they did over there. Ive looked all over trying to find info in the past on this issue, but never came up with shit. I was under the impression that the 5.45 did fairly well in terms of performance.. Very comparable to the 5.56. Got a link to any info that can shine some light on it?

I've seen numerous tests in gel and animal carcasses where the round did not produce a significant wound channel or tissue damage. The Afghanis called it the Poison Bullet because it didn't necessarily kill immediately. First hand experience from being over there, the weapons being recovered are 7.62 x 39/54 mm, not 5.45. It is an interesting video showing penetration in cover versus wound characteristics. Ballistics gel behind the tree would have been a good test.

• Like 2

I've seen numerous tests in gel and animal carcasses where the round did not produce a significant wound channel or tissue damage. The Afghanis called it the Poison Bullet because it didn't necessarily kill immediately. First hand experience from being over there, the weapons being recovered are 7.62 x 39/54 mm, not 5.45. It is an interesting video showing penetration in cover versus wound characteristics. Ballistics gel behind the tree would have been a good test.

From what Ive seen, I cant say that it is any less effective than 5.56. I feel that the round had to have performed satisfactory for the Russians, or they wouldnt still be using it if it indeed was a shit round, or ineffective. But for it not being used in wide service today by the middle east, meh. It dont bother me, but shows me what they already have an abundance of, and better access to. And I dont think the Taliban and Mujh are being supplied top of the line equipment and munitions from Russia, especially 7N24 rounds. Most likely whatever they can get their hands on. I do agree though, ballistics gel would have been a nice test on the other side.

Heres an interesting vid on the 5.45 in gel.

• Like 2
I agree. From what I've seen and heard though, the 5.56 has a real problem with penetration as compared to the 5.45.

That's exactly why 5.56 is the perfect round for HD or CQB in urban/suburban environments, assuming you don't want to kill dozens of bystanders. Worked like crap in the jungles of 'nam though, compared to the x39.

Bring the right tool for the job wink.png

Most of the gel tests I've seen about the 5.45x39 including the one posted by Captain Hero DO indicate a pretty nasty wound channel and decent penetration.

BTW, I believe the reason you saw 7.62 x 39/54 mm weaponry being recovered is that's still primarily the most common small arm available to the Jihadi. When you have a beat up AK that's over 50 years old along with every other opium farmer on the block why would you want 5.45? Hell, you can probably find loose rounds of 7.62x39 in just about every hovel in Iraq and Afghanistan...

• Like 1