2 questions--best ammo for long ranges and best scope

Hi there im new here and had some questions regarding the saiga 308 in regards to the best ammo to use for long range shooting (500m- whenever it groups so badly not to try it). Ive looked around and seen answers ranging from 155g-175g and at best its a 500yard weapon to 800 etc. I just recently acquired it for a great price and am planning on making it a Saigunov (ati ff stock and dinzags fcg ordered). As far as the scope is concerned id like something to use within those perspective ranges. From what ive seen my options are rangefinder reticle (nifty but havent seen any for those ranges), mildot (does ranging with a lil math and can use dots for holdover), and bdc reticle (pretty neat but no way to range inclusively). I know thats alot to chew on but i have literally been banging my head on a wall and scouring the internet for answers for dayyys with no discernable answers to my questions.

Thanks again in advance for all your help

-L-

Plan on spending serious $$ on glass. How much, you ask? At least as much as you spent on the rifle in the first place! The cheapest I would go is a Vortex. Leupold is also good, but a bit more expensive than a Vortex. (I have a Vortex 6.5-20x44mm scope on my PSL, and like it a whole lot). There's nothing wrong with a lower-power scope like a PSO 4x fixed, but I find that a bit low for shots over 400m (my PSL came with a TIP2 scope, which is almost identical to a PSO). I'd consider an 8x or 10x fixed scope over a 3-9x, to be honest, since I usually leave the big Vortex at 14x where the mildots are accurate. Fixed-power scopes are cheaper, and have less to go wrong.

Which reticule? I like both the PSO reticule and the mildot.

I would plan on the military-spec 168gr Sierra MatchKing bullet for being the most readily available and consistent. Other bullets are likely more consistent, but less readily available. If you're really going to snob it up, you want to have all your ammunition from the same LOT# for greatest consistency (or roll your own).

If you have a smartphone, I'd also look up the Strelok ballistic calculator. The cool thing about Strelok is that it gives you a reticule view, so that you can see where to aim.

• Like 1

The 168 OTM from Federal worked well in my Saiga with 21" barrel..

The Hornady SST 150 gr and Hornady TAP 110 gr was good as well.. thought at longer range go with the higher 'grain'..

I got good groups with all 3 of them out to 200 yards.. never was able to get to testing further..

Plan on spending serious $$ on glass. How much, you ask? At least as much as you spent on the rifle in the first place! The cheapest I would go is a Vortex. Leupold is also good, but a bit more expensive than a Vortex. (I have a Vortex 6.5-20x44mm scope on my PSL, and like it a whole lot). There's nothing wrong with a lower-power scope like a PSO 4x fixed, but I find that a bit low for shots over 400m (my PSL came with a TIP2 scope, which is almost identical to a PSO). I'd consider an 8x or 10x fixed scope over a 3-9x, to be honest, since I usually leave the big Vortex at 14x where the mildots are accurate. Fixed-power scopes are cheaper, and have less to go wrong.

Which reticule? I like both the PSO reticule and the mildot.

I would plan on the military-spec 168gr Sierra MatchKing bullet for being the most readily available and consistent. Other bullets are likely more consistent, but less readily available. If you're really going to snob it up, you want to have all your ammunition from the same LOT# for greatest consistency (or roll your own).

If you have a smartphone, I'd also look up the Strelok ballistic calculator. The cool thing about Strelok is that it gives you a reticule view, so that you can see where to aim.

+1

Mine likes 168 gn Sierra Matchkings at around 2600fps

I also prefer the fixed 6x on the Springfield 6x44 Government.

I dont mind spending a good deal of money on a scope that will function reliably. I made the mistake once of getting a uag scope for my 7.62x39 (dont laugh i was/am still new at this lol) and it honestly seemed like just trying to zero it broke it. That being said, obviously the cheaper end of better quality is appealing...the scope on the ebay post looks neat but in my digging on the net i can honestly say i.havent heard of them...and that sucker weighs a ton lol! But its still a consideration.

Thanks again on bullet weight choice that seems like a pretty solid bet. I had just read the 168g starts hitting its limit at 700 or so meters...but then again thats plenty of distance for me. I know its not an m1a or anything but im aware the cartridge itself is capable of reaching out to 1000m..out of curiosity with a good scope and good ammo what kind of grouping could i expect at say 600-700m? I have the 22in barrel version.

Thanks, ill have to look more into atn...night vision would Rawwwk! I was wondering though if there were any 'hunting style' 168g bullets that would perform to the same extended range as the SMK. Id really like this rifle to pull double duty as a hunter and long range shooter and im not entirely sure the SMK is legal as hunting ammo where im at. Id also like to feed this thing one source of ammo so i wont have to continually adjust for POI. Trust me i wouldnt take a shot on game past 300m but am setting this up for much longer ranges.

Do you guys think this will do the trick in regards to my intentions with this rifle?

http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-2-5-10x44-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle

If so should i get it in mils or moa? Any place where i might pick up a used one? Sorry to be a chatterbox on my own topic but as you all can tell im pretty excited about converting this thing and getting some good glass.

Well the s-308 came with a belarus mount included so i was going to try that out and if that didnt pan out due to being too high over bore i was thinking a midwest lo pro mount. I dont know if rs regulates ak-300 mount would be too low for it(probably is and im looking at that mount for putting a red dot on my 7.62 anyhow) and if the belarus didnt give enough clearance i would attempt the qd utg mount seen in the profile pic (that i dont use now lol). Short of that i dont know, what do you suggest?

I dont think the BP-02 is suited for the recoil of the 308 or any side rail mounting for that matter. I had one first and with everyting tight it would still flex side to side in the rivets. the reciever thickness isnt enough to hold a big scope still with the recoil of the 308. I would check into a beryl style mount or the krebs rail. or the texas wepons dog leg rail. I have this one dph beryl qd. I like it so farpost-9518-0-56333900-1359012220_thumb.jpg

Ill have to look into that style mount too...but im confused. I thought that type of mount required removal of the iron sight leaf and thats something i dont wanna give up...ill check out that exact brand you mentioned, thanks!

While those are very nice Scopes i think i would never be forgiven if i spent that much on a scope lol...and its too cold to have to sleep outside! Ill send dph an email and see but if it is discontinued ill probably attempt a qd side rail mount so i can get to the irons quick if need be. I really like the scope i posted earlier i hope its enough for what i want to get out of the 308.

I said best scope for the ranges i can expect to get out of a s-308 which hasnt really been addressed yet so the maximum range in all reality will define how much i am willing to spend on glass. Will this thing with proper glass and ammo hit a man sized target at 800m/yds? I do like the black diamond but i see that product line has been discontinued. Looking around for info tho i cant tell if its mildot or moa or bdc or regular crosshairs, or if its illuminated or not. Im also coupling this purchase with a good 1-4x illuminated for my x39 so itd be nice not to break over 1500$ for the two. I appreciate your help in this endeavor of mine!

Hello

Don't overlook the IOR scopes if you're looking for quality. The newer ones aren't nearly the vallue the older ones used to be, but you can still occasionally run across a 2.5-9 x42mm illuminated reticle first focal on e-bay for an attractive price. That's a great scope for the S-308's. They are Eastern Bloc (Romania) and are genuine mil-spec items (read: bulletproof). Not featherweights, but magnificent glass and incredibly durable.

They were the supplier of long-range shooters and snipers before the wall came down, now we can get 'em, too.

JMHO....

-guido in Houston

"God Loves Liberty"

• 3 weeks later...

My 308 22 inch barrel likes Remington 168 gran core lok ammo. As for a scope I went with a mueller scope. The tubes are from China but the optics are made in Japan . As for a scope mount I went with burris steel rings with a quick release UTG side scope mount. I clean my rifle after every trip to the range and have never lost zero. The one problem I see people have is getting the tention right on the quick release lever. It don't help that the screw that sets the tention is left handed threads. I just made sure it was loose to start. Close the lever tighen the screw with a screw driver open it back up and turn the screw a little tighter. Now check that it still will fully release and your done. I would up grade to midwest's scope mount but it is hard to justify when something is working so well. The new Pro UTG mount is made in the USA and has a channel cut out so you can use your iron sights.

Haha! Thats the mount i used to use for my x39 and have transferred it to the 308 since i snagged a midwest mount for the x39! I have to admit it works pretty good, if you tighten that bolt and really really force that sucker on there. Thanks for the answer to the grain question ill try to pick some up here soon! Now to address issues with my x39 and then save up for good scopes for the both of em!