I'm curious to know how you guys are insuring your weapons. My home owner's policy sucks and scheduling guns costs a fortune with them. I've been doing the NRA insurance for the past couple of years. The policy is about to come due so if there is something better or cheaper out there I would like to hear about it.

We were going to have USAA write a new policy for all our firearms and accessories, but they would not insure for replacement value, only for original price and with receipts of purchase.

I tried to inquire about having them insure at declared value with original receipts, pictures and current market values... Write me a policy and give me a quote, they wouldn't do it.

After being told that we were pretty put off, we'll look elsewhere.

First time I've been disappointed by USAA.

ETA: We have rider on our Homeowners Insurance covering our firearms & accessories for original cost.

Edited by ChileRelleno

That's pretty much what I ran into with all of the major insurance companies. My insurance co wants like $.25/$1 of declared value coverage.

The NRA insurance for $10k (not including your $2500 of insurance for being a member) is $140/yr. Sounds like the deal is going to get hard to beat. When I researched this before I found some people saying that they made claims against it and didn't have any problems.

It states that it includes firearms and firearms accessories at replacement cost. I'm not sure if that means magazines or not... I should send them an email asking that.

edit: Just read through my policy. It looks like the mags are covered if they steal the gun too. It also appears that the actual underwriting is done through Lloyd's of London. I wonder if maybe it would be cheaper to just call them directly?

Edited by Maxwelhse

I have been recently reconsidering this issue. I looked into my safe and realized that I have a TON of value now, much more than I thought I would ever have.

Up until now, I have only had NRA insurance, and spent my money on good safes.

All this said, I really don't trust insurance companies of any sort: they make their money by NOT paying out, so your real best investment is a good safe! If I was going to spend 5K in 10 years, I'd think it woudl be better to spend that 5K on a safe first, and if you had more money, then go buy insurance.

• Like 1

A better safe is definitely on my agenda, but I'm not canceling my insurance to do it. My cheap safe will keep most petty thieves out. Fire and water damage are what I'm really worried about.

I agree that insurance companies are in business to fuck people. The good news is that another group of people who like to fuck people, lawyers, are happy to sue them when they breech their contracts.

My insurance is a very good safe plus the room it's in has bars on the inside of the windows (with curtains in front of the bars so there not visible) a very heavy solid wood door with dead bolt that uses a combination, then a steel security door with a dead bolt and the door has a steel screen instead of glass. I use this room for guns, guitars and other various musical instruments. Its definitely a secure room.

Edited by Ethan M

If the information is in the private sector, they will have to up against the company. If I remember right, with the security companies shooting people in Iraq, the companies just flat out refused to provide the info to congress, and they paid no penalty. I don't think it would be that easy for them to get that info, short of going right in, and taking it by force.

My insurance is a very good safe plus the room it's in has bars on the inside of the windows (with curtains in front of the bars so there not visible) a very heavy solid wood door with dead bolt that uses a combination, then a steel security door with a dead bolt and the door has a steel screen instead of glass. I use this room for guns, guitars and other various musical instruments. Its definitely a secure room.

That all sounds great! I'm planning a junior version of that idea. However, one electrical fire and it's all ashes. :(

You know I had been thinking about this and if you had any guns, and if there was a forced registration and or gun grab. Would the Anti-Constitutionalist be able to get access to who's insuring guns and use that against that individual?

Not with the NRA insurance... No serial numbers ever... Itemized scheduling is only for guns valued at $2500+/ea.

So, sure, they could say I have gun insurance so I must have guns. They have no idea what guns. They also wouldn't know that I cashed out the night before to a guy named "Barack" and haven't canceled my policy yet.

I use NRA insurance, and pay X for Y dollars. No numbers. USAA tried to sell me some. They wanted numbers.

I told them they'd give them up. They said they wouldn't. I said they would if a court ordered them to, and you can't

give up what you don't have.

My provider State Farm told me about a policy they had for $50 a year that covered what I had but I was turned off by the idea of listing everything I have and giving it to someone and trusting them not to disclose it. I think like the idea listed above is best to buy a good fire proof safe and call it a day.

This reminds me that I need to get off my lazy ass and get some good insurance and probably a good safe too.

I live in a pretty rural area, police response would be slow, volunteer fire department has good response time provided they aren't already out on another call then limited equipment would slow them down.

So I would need to look at a really good safe I suppose. The thing I have noticed with the higher end safes are they weight several hundred up to a couple thousand pounds depending on size and manufacture. Add a few cases of ammo and a gun collection and mags and stuff and you could probably double that weight. I'm not sure my floor is up to the task of supporting that kind of weight without doing some serious reinforcement. That pretty much leaves placing it in the garage then building some kinda faux cabinet around it to hide the obvious gun safe.

Edited by jojo200517
This reminds me that I need to get off my lazy ass and get some good insurance and probably a good safe too.

I live in a pretty rural area, police response would be slow, volunteer fire department has good response time provided they aren't already out on another call then limited equipment would slow them down.

So I would need to look at a really good safe I suppose. The thing I have noticed with the higher end safes are they weight several hundred up to a couple thousand pounds depending on size and manufacture. Add a few cases of ammo and a gun collection and mags and stuff and you could probably double that weight. I'm not sure my floor is up to the task of supporting that kind of weight without doing some serious reinforcement. That pretty much leaves placing it in the garage then building some kinda faux cabinet around it to hide the obvious gun safe.

I had to reinforce the floor where my safe is. When they took the safe through the house to the room it's in, the floor started giving and you could here it cracking. One of the fluorescent lights in the basement even fell off and broke. Lol weight is definitely something to consider when getting a safe.

www.collectinsure.com 888-837-9537 They have an electronical thingie download to save time. They SEEM to also insure cans, Class 3 stuff, etc.. HB of CJ (old coot) $10,000 coverage for guns and stuff is quoted at $56 bucks yearly with NO safeguards like safes, landmines, killer attack dogs, etc.. I don't know how legit they are...yet.

www.collectinsure.com 888-837-9537 They have an electronical thingie download to save time. They SEEM to also insure cans, Class 3 stuff, etc.. HB of CJ (old coot) $10,000 coverage for guns and stuff is quoted at $56 bucks yearly with NO safeguards like safes, landmines, killer attack dogs, etc.. I don't know how legit they are...yet.

Thanks for the feedback... I'll have to dig a little to see who is actually underwriting their policies.

Why not just save up and buy a badass safe? That way NO ONE knows how many firearms you have, and you can sleep easy at night. Like mentioned before, if Big Brother wants to get info from the insurance company, they will (especially with our dear Führer in charge)

Alright, for the last time, my security conscious brothers... NRA insurance does not require you to declare what arms you possess (unless a specific firearm is over $2500 in value, and then they don't ask for a serial number).

My primary concern is FIRE AND WATER damage. Your totally badass safe is probably only good for 1hr @ 350F inside temp... 350F will melt every single nugget of plastic anything on my guns and the FD around here is going to take at least 20 minutes to respond (kind of in the sticks... not blaming them). Sooooo... Awesome safe or not, my significant investment in weaponry isn't going uninsured.... You guys betting the farm on your safes have bigger balls than I do, which I applaud in some regards.

Back to the topic... It sounds like there are 3 options for gun insurance and one of them sucks... :( Any other companies out there?