S-12 witness mags

I was going to wait to post these when I finally finished my AKS-12 project but I'm still waiting on my custom front sight to match the AK rear leaf sight I just put on her. But with the sweet new mag pics posted by Z1500 and badz2801 and all the talk about wanting to see how many rds you have left I thought I would put this up now. I can do these for people if they send me their mags and pay for shipping. I've tested them and their strength has not been compromised. I can do 5 rdrs as well.

I'm also doing AK mags. :smoke:

post-1293-1132329403_thumb.jpg

post-1293-1132329458_thumb.jpg

I can do these for people if they send me their mags and pay for shipping. I've tested them and their strength has not been compromised.

That'd be neat if you sealed a piece of Lexan or something clear over the opening; otherwise it looks like a crap magnet waiting to happen. AK actions are very tolerant of dirt and fouling, but I'm not sure that the mags and cartridges themselves would be. I can see it as a "cutaway" demo for training purposes or as a conversation piece at the range, but question its utility in actual use. Last time a combat long gun had a cutaway magazine was, what, the French Chauchat? THAT went over well... :rolleyes:

OTOH, the cuts themselves look well done, and you've got some balls to go hacking on a $$$ 8-rounder like that. Innovation in and of itself is a good thing, even if not every idea pans out.

Edited by shooter2

There's room for a thin piece of plastic to be glued inside if you wanted to. I could do that. I have other mags if I want to throw em down in the dirt. These I was figuring would just be something cool and different for those times when you're just shooting leisurely and don't have a dude running around behind ya with a timer.

Anyway if you do get a little crap in there it's not like it's hard to take apart and clean out.

Pretty high on the cool factor. I don't know if it even matters for comp shooting. All I ever hear is that you can take an AK, throw it in mud, snow, sand, spit on it and still shoot it. Most high end Paintball markers are cut and carved to hell and get thrown around with no problems. As long as you take care of your shit between rounds, just another cool option. As a side note-even under pressure all you guys should be able to count to 8, soon 10 :lolol: Don't forget to post pics of your new s12 when your ready.

OTOH, the cuts themselves look well done, and you've got some balls to go hacking on a $$$ 8-rounder like that.

Cobra has a tree on his property that grows 8-rounders. I've seen it.

Nice work Cobra, but I think if you glued a piece of plastic inside, the follower would either jam up on it, or knock it out of place.

Sorry..... :osama:

OTOH, the cuts themselves look well done, and you've got some balls to go hacking on a $$$ 8-rounder like that.

Cobra has a tree on his property that grows 8-rounders. I've seen it.

Nice work Cobra, but I think if you glued a piece of plastic inside, the follower would either jam up on it, or knock it out of place.

Sorry..... :osama:

If you can get the clear plastic the same (or thinner) thickness of the material that was milled out just glue it in the slot, no material will intrude inside where the follower and spring ride.

COBRA,

Pretty cool. Most guys are too busy worshipping their 8 rounders to think about modifying them. Your cut out is much neater than the counter mags I have in .410. You're a creative and gutsy guy. I'm sure you will find a good method for enclosing the hole while retaining round count visability.

Wolverine

As a side note-even under pressure all you guys should be able to count to 8, soon 10 :lolol:

Heh, You'd think so, but I have video evidence to the contrary ..... :)

I'm convinced that the timers are set at a frequency that erases materials from the "plans" section of your brain ....

Mag looks real cool. Any chance of attaching the clear stuff to the outside of the mag?

I'd not stop in the middle of a string to check rounds, but it could help in competitions at a other points. RonSwin mentioned that he picked up an empty mag once (was shooting out of a moving van). Checking capacity while on the move could help at times. Checking the load (buckshot, slugs, bird) would often help. Even checking to see if there's lose bb's or dirt inside might help.

Bottom line, Love your innovation! Cobra, you da man.

Sounds like a challenge. Hmm. :angel:

Take the mag apart and file down a rim around the window to the thickness of the material being used, 1/4" border, then when you glue it it should be flush. :wacko:

Damn, that's so hard to explain, I'm confused myself. Did that make any sense? You know what I mean?

Or you could cut a slot in the side of the follower so that it doesn't make contact with the window.

Actually, you would have to do that regardless, because if you don't, the follower will rub the window and mar it up all to hell.

Damn, I'm dizzy.

Edited by shaneman153a

Sounds like a challenge. Hmm. :angel:

Take the mag apart and file down a rim around the window to the thickness of the material being used, 1/4" border, then when you glue it it should be flush. :wacko:

Damn, that's so hard to explain, I'm confused myself. Did that make any sense? You know what I mean?

Or you could cut a slot in the side of the follower so that it doesn't make contact with the window.

Actually, you would have to do that regardless, because if you don't, the follower will rub the window and mar it up all to hell.

Damn, I'm dizzy.

You mean he should countersink the lexan plastic so that the mag window is flush on the inside and the shells don't get hung up?

That's what I was thinking but there's only so much room to play with before weakening the mag. I don't really need a window for my uses but if someone wanted one that would hold up to the abuse of competition I would rather inlet from the outside and put a piece of lexan, plexi, or hard plastic in from that direction. If the edges were sanded round it would not hang up on pouches and stuff. I'll mess with it and see what I come up with.

That's what I was thinking but there's only so much room to play with before weakening the mag. I don't really need a window for my uses but if someone wanted one that would hold up to the abuse of competition I would rather inlet from the outside and put a piece of lexan, plexi, or hard plastic in from that direction. If the edges were sanded round it would not hang up on pouches and stuff. I'll mess with it and see what I come up with.

very cool!! what about drilling a few holes coresponding to location of each round kind of like an uzi mag, just a thought.nice work by the way

Cobra,

Not sure how you're machining this, but one solution would be to machine a bevel into the mag wall as well as one on the clear material that you would put into the opening. (See pic) Then, all you have to do glue and set. Use some of that epoxy for plastics and it wouldn't go anywhere, ever. I'm sure there's more than a few ways to accomplish this, but it all depends on how you're doing it now, and how many you think you'll need to do...

post-1827-1132627370.jpg

It's just that there isn't much material there to begin with, so rabbeting a border around the hole is maybe asking for trouble.

Cobra,

Not sure how you're machining this, but one solution would be to machine a bevel into the mag wall as well as one on the clear material that you would put into the opening. (See pic) Then, all you have to do glue and set. Use some of that epoxy for plastics and it wouldn't go anywhere, ever. I'm sure there's more than a few ways to accomplish this, but it all depends on how you're doing it now, and how many you think you'll need to do...

post-1827-1132627370.jpg

It's just that there isn't much material there to begin with, so rabbeting a border around the hole is maybe asking for trouble.

Man, that's a pain in the ass, but it's prolly the best way to do it, I just don't know if it's worth the work. In my last suggestion, I was thinking of a thin, flexible material, that wouldn't require that wouldn't require a deep rim. But I think Jeric's idea is prolly the only way to go if using a thick piece of lexan.

Guys, I agree that this mag is very cool, and that there should be some kind of cover over the opening. No offense, though, but you're all making it way harder than it needs to be. Just glue a piece of clear plastic on the surface and butt it up against the rib and take it out to the edge of the mag. Round off any exposed edges, and you're set!

uhh...? Yeah I could just slop something like a clear plastic jug cutout on the side and duct tape it but that's not really what I had in mind. Kinda fugly you know? :angel: I have the situation under control. Thanks though.

Thanks Cobra!!! Well worth the price.

The window on these mags are cut so straight and even, I would swear that you had a CNC machine perched on top of your pool table. You have alot of talent, an uncanny attention for detail and brilliant modification ideas!

For some reason, I absolutely can not count to 30 when I'm shooting. I dont know why, I just cant. This window solves the problem. The follower glides smoothly over the area just like normal. I woulden't change a thing. I think that you would have to go out of your way to get dirt in there. I may (gently) stamp a few numbers along the mag body and mark an indicator on the follower, but other than that, I don't need to change a thing! Nice design man!

They look bad ass too!

post-1374-1132749243_thumb.jpg

post-1374-1132749282_thumb.jpg

post-1374-1132749303_thumb.jpg

post-1374-1132749337_thumb.jpg

uhh...? Yeah I could just slop something like a clear plastic jug cutout on the side and duct tape it but that's not really what I had in mind. Kinda fugly you know? :angel: I have the situation under control. Thanks though.

Not exactly what I had in mind, maybe I didn't describe it very well. :bag: Oh well, I look forward to seeing what you come up with (no sarcasm intended).

• 4 weeks later...

Actually yes. I made a window on the outside of the mag since there is just no room on the inside. It is now completely sealed against debris from outside the mag body. I will post a pic tomorrow.

Actually yes. I made a window on the outside of the mag since there is just no room on the inside. It is now completely sealed against debris from outside the mag body. I will post a pic tomorrow.
Can't wait. Looks like a neat mod. Is there any reason that you do it on the right side of the mag instead of the left?

Not really. I just think of the right side of the weapon as the most worthy of display. Also being a right handed shooter I can see the mag better on that side while firing. I could do either side just the same. I thought about doing one on both sides but I'm not sure if that would compromise strength. Probably not though. I'm sure I will find out soon enough.