Some reports of injuries and damage on the ground, but don't know yet if it was caused by the impact or just the super-sonic shockwave. The sonic boom did break a lot of windows. Really wild shit! Considering the predicted 'fly-by' of the known asteroid today, I wonder if this was a smaller piece tagging along that went undetected.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=152_1360906606

• Like 1

I wonder how real this realy is? No warning spacially when they are looking to the skys for the other meteor that is suppoed to pass by today. According to the news or reports they estamated it to be a 10 TON meteor. I am by no means a scientist or astro physicist but woudn't a 10 ton meteor cause at leat an atomic blast? There would be no survivors where that thing feal let alone video of it...

Any thoughts? Hoax?

I wonder how real this realy is? No warning spacially when they are looking to the skys for the other meteor that is suppoed to pass by today. According to the news or reports they estamated it to be a 10 TON meteor. I am by no means a scientist or astro physicist but woudn't a 10 ton meteor cause at leat an atomic blast? There would be no survivors where that thing feal let alone video of it...

Any thoughts? Hoax?

A 10 ton meteor is smaller than a car. And they tend to be rather dark in color. Something that small would be nearly impossible to spot thousands of miles away unless you knew exactly where to look.

As far as the damage it did, alot depends on the composition and angle. A dense iron meteor coming down at a steep angle will likely hit the ground. A chondrite meteor (which is not very dense) at a shallow angle will always explode in the air.

From watching the videos this one entered the atmosphere at a fairly shallow angle. The explosion was likely the size of a small nuke but high enough in the air that the shock wave only did reasonably minor damage on the ground.

• Like 4

Any thoughts? Hoax?

A 10 ton meteor is smaller than a car. And they tend to be rather dark in color. Something that small would be nearly impossible to spot thousands of miles away unless you knew exactly where to look.

As far as the damage it did, alot depends on the composition and angle. A dense iron meteor coming down at a steep angle will likely hit the ground. A chondrite meteor (which is not very dense) at a shallow angle will always explode in the air.

From watching the videos this one entered the atmosphere at a fairly shallow angle. The explosion was likely the size of a small nuke but high enough in the air that the shock wave only did reasonably minor damage on the ground.

Bad ass.......and if anyone finds ANY remains of it money.gifmoney.gifmoney.gif

Just watching the videos. Holy shit. It took minutes for the blast wave to reach these people and it still blew windows out of buildings. That means that at a range of over 20 miles (horizontal) it was still that strong.

They are now estimating 300-500 kilotons. That's about 5 times the force of "normal" nuclear bomb.

I'm anxious to see the final numbers on size, speed, altitude, etc.

Living on the Earth is like living in Chicago. Sooner or later you're going to get hit by a bullet.

It's time for reasonable restrictions on meteors.

• Like 2

Wow... I'm always amazed with the power of nature. I'm very sorry that people were injured, but that is truly a sight to behold!

I was BSing with a gent at work today about the "big one" we both agreed that there isn't shit we could do about it, don't want to know about it, and that someone is watching over us! :)

Wasn't there something about asteroids and "passing through the plane of the ecliptic" part of the whole December 2012 scare?

As in there could be a shit-storm of space debris as we are passing through the plane of the ecliptic?

"Unlike comets, asteroids are found relatively close to the ecliptic plane and their orbits are not as stretched out as comets' but are more circular."

http://www.uni.edu/morgans/astro/course/Notes/section4/new22.html

Somebody get Bruce Willis on the phone please!

So let me get this straight....

A 50 yard wide rock from space that was spotted 4 or 5 months ago was supposed to do a close fly by today... And roughly the same size rock (that partially burt up entering )around 20 to 30 feet at time of explosion just happed to fly in today? And they say its unrealted?

BULLSHIT. Its the same fucking one, they just miscalculated the hit/miss probability and are trying to play it off. The odds of that got to be in the trillions.

• Like 1
So let me get this straight.... A 50 yard wide rock from space that was spotted 4 or 5 months ago was supposed to do a close fly by today... And roughly the same size rock (that partially burt up entering )around 20 to 30 feet at time of explosion just happed to fly in today? And they say its unrealted? BULLSHIT. Its the same fucking one, they just miscalculated the hit/miss probability and are trying to play it off. The odds of that got to be in the trillions.

No, this one was only approx 10 tons, think very dense and heavy iron, not too big really, full size passenger van maybe?

The big one which missed us was the size of half a football field.

I too call bullshit that they're unrelated, I think it was a piece of it or smaller asteroid traveling along with it.

Unrelated, yeah like Benghazi was unrelated to the 911 anniversary.

Anyone see the news that Russian missiles may have been fired on it to try and break it up?