Great Find! Old age and forgetfulness...

I have been trying for a while to round up a decent amunt of 9mm ammo for a few months now, to no avail and had just about given up BUT... as I was finishing up my paperwork for getting the taxes done yesterday, I ran across a receipt for 1000 rounds of 9mm that I had supposedly received back in November! I KNEW that I hadn't ran through that much since then, so I set out to find said missing ammo. I turned the place upside down and was just about to give up when my ever so smart wifey said "did ya look under the bed?" Sheepishly, I had to admit that I had not. So off to the bedroom I go, and when I got down and looked, guess what I saw? Not only a 1000 rounds of 9mm, but 500 rounds of .308 ! Now I can ease up on the hunt for ammo..my stores are in good supply, but I DID feel like a fool! LOL

Nice to "find" 1500 rounds of what is now, expensive ammo laying in the last place I looked!

I'm sure that no one here has ever done such a thing! ;)

• Like 3

You'd be surprised at the time I have spent looking for a mis-placed pistol (18 months) and sundry things. I had put the pistol in a gallon baggie and was using it to stretch a new holster to shape. Put it back in the box in the bottom of closet and promptly forgot both. Came across it 18 months later when looking for reloading supplies I had misplaced. LOL No telling what all I have around here, I obviously don't. :)

One of the young men at work the other day asked me how many guns I had. I had to think for a bit then tell him that I really didn't know! He said "How can you not know how many you own?, to which I promptly replied, Son, when you get my age you'll understand! ;) I would have to look through drawers, closets, through vehicles, in the shop before I could get a count. Is anyone else this way? I don't have dementia yet, just have a few firearms.

haha.gif

You are not alone sir......I went to a gun show about 6 months ago to stock up on 9mm target loads.

While there, I wasn't sure how much 5.56 x 45 or 7.62 x 39 I had left, so I got 1000 rds of each.

When I get home and go to put it away, well.....let's just say that the wife thinks I'm crazy and told

me to get the rest of it off the closet floor upstairs and out of the spare room down stairs and try to

stack it in one place with the rest of it....oops.....

I really need to get more 22lr.......big_smile.gif

great post.

Speaking of .22, I found a few thousand rounds out in my shop that are at least 30 years old! Tried them out and they run great in my Rugers, good enuff for me!

The price stickers on the CCI mini mags just about made me cry though!

A few months ago I found a new Taurus .45acp, still in the factory case stuffed way back in the safe, a few weeks ago I go to the LGS to see about .22lr shells, thinking I'm down to about 300 or so, I get home, put them up and was down stairs reloading some 9mm, when I go to get a box of bullets from the bottom shelf, and I find 3000 rounds of 22lr in the back. Hell, I found 1500 .223 fmjbt that I forgot I had, last week. My wife said that God only knows what all I have around here, and she may be right, but it'd be great if he'd let me know. :)

• Like 1

I haven't had this problem, yet. I have always kept mine in a locked storage cabinet. However, with my recent squirreling, I can see it coming down the pike. I just realized as I read your words, I have a 1000 rounds sitting at my feet under my office desk. Its been there for weeks now.

That said, as per dementia, after my first was born, I quietly went to my Doctors office. This was about 5 years ago. I didnt tell anyone, but I was sure I suffering from early onset alzheimers. I suddenly could not remember anything. I had problems with words on the tip of my tongue and no ability to find the right word. I was scared. I had my kid with me, because the sitter was off that day. The doctor laughed her butt off. She told me I do not have Alzheimer's, I have a kid. I learned quickly the lack of sleep would be a cause for memory lapse for the next 20 years.

Glad I am OK, but I'd sure like to get more sleep and have my memory again!

• Like 2
A few months ago I found a new Taurus .45acp, still in the factory case stuffed way back in the safe, a few weeks ago I go to the LGS to see about .22lr shells, thinking I'm down to about 300 or so, I get home, put them up and was down stairs reloading some 9mm, when I go to get a box of bullets from the bottom shelf, and I find 3000 rounds of 22lr in the back. Hell, I found 1500 .223 fmjbt that I forgot I had, last week. My wife said that God only knows what all I have around here, and she may be right, but it'd be great if he'd let me know. smile.png

Yeah, a heads up on what we actually had and where it was located would be nice! I always heard that you never knew what you had till you moved, but I've got too much to move..guess I'll stay here and be surprised every once in awhile. ;)

I haven't had this problem, yet. I have always kept mine in a locked storage cabinet. However, with my recent squirreling, I can see it coming down the pike. I just realized as I read your words, I have a 1000 rounds sitting at my feet under my office desk. Its been there for weeks now.

That said, as per dementia, after my first was born, I quietly went to my Doctors office. This was about 5 years ago. I didnt tell anyone, but I was sure I suffering from early onset alzheimers. I suddenly could not remember anything. I had problems with words on the tip of my tongue and no ability to find the right word. I was scared. I had my kid with me, because the sitter was off that day. The doctor laughed her butt off. She told me I do not have Alzheimer's, I have a kid. I learned quickly the lack of sleep would be a cause for memory lapse for the next 20 years.

Glad I am OK, but I'd sure like to get more sleep and have my memory again!

Yes, kids will do that to ya! Been awhile since I have been around little ones, but have a grandson on the way!! Good thing about grandkids...you can visit, spoil, and let the parents take care of them!!

You lucky old forgetful SOBs!

You're finding guns and ammo around your house and under your bed.....

I'm finding big balls of dust and women's shoes under my bed.

Ahhh!

What size shoes? Someone might be trying to scam you.

• Like 1

I used to have a habit of a lot of "Thinking while Drinking" and would hid guns in different hard to find places. Well, like 1911, I lost a Sig p220 that I found a few weeks ago that I hid about a year ago. I turned my home upside down a bunch of times looking for the sucker. I just found it in a little compartment in the innerside of the futon couch in the livingroom. I've had a couple of different guests sleep on it during that time period, and even rearranged the livingroom and got rid of the loveseat that i was gonna keep and get rid of the futon that my gun was in!! That would have really sucked, but not for some guy that would've got the couch at the thrift store I donated the loveseat at. My Coldsteel Trailmaster Bowie was recovered at the same time, as it was next to the pistol. Yep, I was drinking that night of the "Hide" and was doing some imaginary shooting and knife weilding kung-fu.

Hey, Jake.

I hate to have to remind you again, but could you please send me that 1000 bucks I loaned you last year?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim, I'm really worried about you!! If you'll remember, it was 5,000 and I paid yu back last month!! LOL

• Like 1

I am glad I am not the only one. I got up yesterday morning with intentions of working in my shop. Well to make a long story short I after the day was over I had found over 5K rounds of miscelaneous ammo I had stored in this can and that from the 90s after I got back from Balkan war plus several handguns I had forgotten that I had purchased during AWB part 1 era. Getting old does suck.

Hey, Jake.

I hate to have to remind you again, but could you please send me that 1000 bucks I loaned you last year?

Thanks,

Tim

Tim, I'm really worried about you!! If you'll remember, it was 5,000 and I paid yu back last month!! LOL

Come to think of it, you're right. Sorry. Problem is, I'm pretty sure I didn't get it.

I believe I do know how the wife got a new 5000 dollar living room set now though.

• Like 1

Ha! I can recall many times, in my misspent youth, of hiding that bag of weed, where my parents couldn't possibly find it, and the next day, neither could I.

Now it's gun stuff I'm losing.

A little off-topic...

I once had a buddy tell me, "if you don't want to get in trouble with your wife, for buying new guns, just make sure that they are all the same color."

Edited by Sim_Player

I actually reported a USP stolen once (I couldn't find the gun, and my car had been broken into - I figured I'd left it in the car)... Then found it, and sheepishly called the local PD to let them know it turned out I still had it.

• Like 1

LOL! Great post! So I'm not quite as insane/stupid as I thought. I look at car parts online, and see something I think I need, and go out to the garage and find I already bought one years ago. I've "lost" a few pistols. The other day a coworker asked me how many guns I had. I bet it was 30 minutes to 45 minutes before I could give him an accurate number. I just kept remembering and counting. And it's really not all that many! lol. I forgot the one I carry with me everyday! lol. Read The Wall, you are a lucky man indeed that has a wife that remembers such things. I've often thought that if I die of a heart attack tomorrow, whoever cleans this mess up is either going to have one hell of a time, or they are going to just toss it all out. I'm trying to at least group stuff related together. lol. Thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars worth of stuff are going to be tossed, because they won't be able to figure it all out. or it will go for pennies on the dollar.

I actually reported a USP stolen once (I couldn't find the gun, and my car had been broken into - I figured I'd left it in the car)... Then found it, and sheepishly called the local PD to let them know it turned out I still had it.

I could see that for a Lincoln or Kearney boy, but you Omahans are supposed to be smarter than that! You can't spell drunk without UNK! lol. (NO, I'm not a college boy- just a saying I heard)

Edited by coronet

My son came into the house and said is this what you where bitching about .It was a complete colt AR-15 lower from a old style AR-15 or M16 mid 60,s tri angle forearm rifle pre ban no mag wall fence boy was I happy that makes 6 ar ar 15,s now and 25 plus AK-47 and AK-74 parts kits with a slew of other type parts . I will trade AK-47 & 74 kits for Saiga rifles or shot guns may trade off fancy spikes Tactical semi hand gun for right 12 GA or Saiga rifles or Veps. PM me with wants.