Latest version of Russia's Kalashnikov assault rifle, the AK-12

That 95rd drum for the 5.45 looks very cool. Hope those make it over this way.

I'm very curious to know how it works and runs based on the first picture. Do the rounds actually change orientation in the feed tower?

Despite their problems, I'm a sucker for a drum mag.

• Like 1

The pan drum is real, its just photoshopped onto the gun.. The ammo does not change orientation in the tower, ammo sits in the drum tips pointing toward the center with the bases of the case sitting in a track that travels around the outside of the drum. Just like those old pan drum mags.

• Like 2

Well, a pan drum would certainly be cool. Photos are a bit misleading, in the last two pics showing the drum it looks like the feed tower is on top like one of these:

post-6253-0-21732400-1361987536.jpg

I wonder why someone felt the need to 'shop up something that already has existing photos?

This isn't the first time these images have circulated... Badly photochopped, every one is of the same receiver, with different magazines photochopped in, and in the case of the .308, a little stretching done. As far as I know, the only model that has seen the light of day thus far is the 5.45x39.

The Russians are copying American ergonomic features and finally accepting that some people are left handed. A friend from Russia (Viataly) told me that when he was in the Russian army you only shot right handed. They changed the safety for easier use and eliminated the AK clack when the safety is applies and added a Mil Std rail to the top. They learned from the American aftermarket and added a folding retractable stock. While we probably won't be able to get these rifles, we may see the AK aftermarket come up with some features here in the US to modify existing AKs.