What do you intend to do with this? You have many more options of cool things you can do with them if they are not live.

I have a 338 Lapua that is on the pull chain for the light over my work bech. Not a live round. Got the spent shell and new bullet from a friend.

I've done this a few times with different rounds. Yank the bullet, make a bunch of noise with the primer, then knock it out, polish and make into whatever I want it for. I've got a .223 and 45 waiting to be made into pull chains for a couple other lights in my garage.

Why I intend to shoot them silly bird smile.png What a difference a little polish can do. all of my rounds are a bit tarnished like the one on the left, a little brasso and we have a beautiful clean shinny round like on the right. Today I polish my friends wink.png BLING BLING

bulletshine-1_zpsaa559fcd.jpg

Edited by SHOTGUN MESIAH
maybe I'm missing something here: but if they chamber and eject fine... who cares?

Well granted I wouldn't polish every caliber I own but the .50 BMG deserves a little extra attention.

and seeing how it is snowing outside and I have the day off, a case of cold beer in the fridge, a full bottle of brasso, and 80 rounds

of tarnished BMG. smile.png yeah, I'm bored today.

Edited by SHOTGUN MESIAH
  • Like 1

Well, heck, if you're bored go for it! :)

If you're in to photography, you could try different arrangements of the nice, shiny rounds and see what kinds of pictures you can get. ;)

As far as live rounds in the brass tumbler, I've heard some say they do it and don't have problems, and I've heard others say you should NEVER do this.

Not worth the risk to me. ohmy.png

As far as live rounds in the brass tumbler, I've heard some say they do it and don't have problems, and I've heard others say you should NEVER do this.

Not worth the risk to me. ohmy.png

Same here, one horror story I've heard was that the tumbler also tumbles the gun powder and breaks it down, which I think jacks the burn rate up, resulted in a blown up gun.

^^Yet it is totally safe to have thousands of rounds, all across the world, packed loose in a metal box, bouncing around in a truck, getting "Tumbled around".....I call BS on severe tumbler danger. My tumbler is pretty mellow on how the cases roll around in there. Alot gentler than having the box of hundreds of x39 ammo that has been bouncing around the back of my truck for over a YEAR!!!! Shoots just fine and never ignited ammo in the box.

edit: but on a boring beer drinking day, nothing wrong with the 1 at a time thing either.

Edited by RobRez

No brasso, or anything else containing ammonia. It attacks the brass and makes it brittle.

A little Flitz or Nevr-R-Dull would work.

NEVER tumble live brass. You'll abrade the shit out of the deterrent coating on th powder granules, changing the burn rate, and increasing the pressure of the round when it's fired, possibly catastrophically. Besides, that's a great way to start a fire.

• Like 2
^^Yet it is totally safe to have thousands of rounds, all across the world, packed loose in a metal box, bouncing around in a truck, getting "Tumbled around".....I call BS on severe tumbler danger. My tumbler is pretty mellow on how the cases roll around in there. Alot gentler than having the box of hundreds of x39 ammo that has been bouncing around the back of my truck for over a YEAR!!!! Shoots just fine and never ignited ammo in the box.

edit: but on a boring beer drinking day, nothing wrong with the 1 at a time thing either.

This has been an ongoing subject of fokelore and debate. It seems plausible to me depending on the type of powder used. Maybe different grain shapes are more vulnerable. I would also think that much more vibration happens in a tumbler than on a truck.

But ultimately, I don't know. If It is a doubt for safety, shoot em' first tumble them shiny and put a new pill in em.

• Like 2
No brasso, or anything else containing ammonia. It attacks the brass and makes it brittle.

NEVER tumble live brass. You'll abrade the shit out of the deterrent coating on th powder granules, changing the burn rate, and increasing the pressure of the round when it's fired, possibly catastrophically. Besides, that's a great way to start a fire.

The ammonia is exactly why it works...

What you don't want to do is leave and brasso on it. Something like Nevr-Dull will take FOREVER.

Have I polished ammo with brasso? Nope... Have I polished about 100 classic video games with it, an emphatic "oh fuck YES!" :)

It works famously well... I hit it will brasso (by hand, especially important for ammo), soap and water in the sink, and then douse with isopropyl alcohol to displace the water. I have gone from brasso to playing the game in under 5 minutes with that technique without a hitch.

Who be needing some Legend of Zelda or original Mortal Combat? I'm game!

• Like 1
It's snowing here too. I'mma go polish a thousand rounds or so of 22LR. I will look cool as hell at the range.grimace.gif

Just think of how sweet your rapid fire rain of brass will look from you bump-fire .22...

I admit it's a silly concept, but that actually does sound pretty cool!

I have odd tastes too, so whatever makes the OP happy.

Does the projectile go faster and straighter polished?haha.gif

He would still look like a huge pimp with his high polished brass glistening in the sun on the way to the Earth.

As much of a time waster as it sounds like, the idea is gaining appeal in my mind! It would just be "cool"... Isn't that 50% of the reason we are into guns in the first place?

I don't know YET. still waiting for my glass to arrive. but I do intend to put this theory to the test.

But I do notice that most .50 BMG "Match rounds" are usually polished to a tee. So there must

be something to it. 032.gif

+1

Since I prefer the multicolor look that annealing cases gives over boring polished brass, I like to load em up and then put a propane torch to them. Admittedly, results so far have been less than satisfactory, but I am stubborn. At least I can skip steps that way, if nothing else.

No. But it is much faster and easier to tumble the lube off than to wipe down each round by hand. But maybe you're into hand jobs..........

Nothing wrong with hand jobs. Depending on whether you're the provider or recipient, of course.

No. But it is much faster and easier to tumble the lube off than to wipe down each round by hand. But maybe you're into hand jobs..........

Nothing wrong with hand jobs. Depending on whether you're the provider or recipient, of course.

I can see this thread has went exactly where I intended it too!!!!

Handjobs are like Pepsi. Never your first choice but you'll take it anyway

• Like 1
Why I intend to shoot them silly bird smile.png What a difference a little polish can do. all of my rounds are a bit tarnished like the one on the left, a little brasso and we have a beautiful clean shinny round like on the right. Today I polish my friends wink.png BLING BLING

bulletshine-1_zpsaa559fcd.jpg

Oh look honey ! Twins! aren't they cuuuuute

Dump them in a laundry bag or pillow case and you can wipe down the whole lot in seconds. I'm glad you've been lucky. I got my info on tumbling live ammo from Sierra Bullets. I'd guess they know what they're talking about.