good flashlight/ mount

I added a small Magpul rail directly under the gas block on my S12 and plan on getting a decent light and mount for HD. I have a Trijicon RMR that'll be here tomorrow via brown truck and think adding a light will make a great home gun. I really don't know much about all the new lights out there other than Surefire seems to be top notch and they're expensive. I want to go with something small and light yet strong enough to light someone up at 25 feet or so. Can you guys suggest a mount and light that work for you purdy please? I really don't want to spend over $100 but will if I have to. The rail is 1.75" long if that helps.

Thanks for suggestions!post-46357-0-88217700-1365561180_thumb.jpg

I thought about something like that before, it was actually the CT vertical grip/light/laser combo but I'm not really into V grips. I have a few Magpul V grips I use once in awhile but find they get in the way more than anything. I actually really don't even want a light hanging on my gun (I like em clean) but a light is almost necessary for a HD gun...

Grip would be pretty far forward at that mounting point.

I tried it on earlier just to see how it was and it was actually really comfortable. I mounted a rail to the stock HG and had a Chaos Titan on at one point and always mounted the V grip in about the same spot as the new rail. V grips are just too damn ugly for the little bit of control they add!post-46357-0-92123500-1365566848_thumb.jpg Edited by dubya

I just looked at their site and the TLR 1-HL looks like a great option. It's about 2x more than I want to spend, but you get what you pay for. I am waiting for a email back from them with measurements on the one you suggested. I have just under .5" to play with.

DUBYA,

GO TO BATTERYJUNCTION AND LOOK UP THE OLIGHT: COMBO-OLIGHT-M20S-X-KIT, 500 LUMEN LIGHT, $89.95, AND IT COMES WITH 12 PRIMARY 123 CELLS, PRESSURE PAD TAILCAP IS ANOTHER $15.00.

SALE OFFER WITH THE 12 BATTS IS ONLY GOOD TILL 4/11.

GO TO KREBS CUSTOM AND LOOK UP THEIR # 12 VLTOR SCOUT FLASHLIGHT MOUNT $39.95

A BIT OVER YOUR BUDGET, BUT IF YOU ALSO USE THE RECHARGABLE 18650 BATTS, IT WILL PAY FOR ITSELF WITHIN ABOUT 6 MONTHS, WITH BATTERY MONEY SAVED.

I GET 3400mAh AW BRAND LI-ION BATTS, $21.50 ea. AND THE WF-139 CHARGER, $17.99 ea. FROM LIGHTHOUND. GET THE CAR CHARGER CORD FOR THE CHARGER.

THE 18650's ARE FAR PREFERRED OVER THE 123's, AS THEY LAST A LOT LONGER AND BURN BRIGHTER.

JESS1344

Hey dubya.

I was just in your situation a month ago. It took weeks of research on lights before I decided on my new klarus xt11.

i got it for a little over 70$ after using the 10% discount code. (goinggear.com) also picked up a sweet blue filter for it. I was tight on cash too so I went with a VTAC light mount. 23$

This light was well worth every penny and im glad i did my research before buying an over expensive light lol. I learned a ton about flashlights in the process.

The xt11 can take 3 different batteries but, I went with tne orbtronic 18650 lithium ion recharable protected battery. 14$ Imho only beat by AW. Basically same specs. both are protected unlike chinese crap. but less money. I also bought a soshine battery charger 18$ very good reviews on the xt11, battery, and charger. from those guys on the candlelight forum as well.

Hope this helps man. I'm just finishing my build and this really was a great addition to my 12.

[img=http://forum.saiga-12.com//public/style_images/master/attachicon.gif] 0128031903.jpgProtec HP 190, by Nebo. 40$ at walmart. Mine has 500 rounds on it and no problems.

Shoot for $40 that might not be bad just to pick up anyway for a pistol or backup. If its good after 500 rounds on the S12 it sounds durable enough. Thanks for the picture.

Glad I could help. Looks like we both have the same rail setup. That light is the smallest I could find. Fits around the handguard bracket good.

While we're on the subject of flashlights, does anyone know why some of them cost so much?

40$ - Push the button - Light goes on.

150$ - Push the button - Light goes on.

WTF ?

Different lights different powers. modes. quality parts. whether or not the light was built to sustain light or heavy recoil a number of reasons. I guess whatever you trust on your 12 when it counts.

Cant Beat the Klarus XT11 for the 12 in my opinion.

Glad I could help. Looks like we both have the same rail setup. That light is the smallest I could find. Fits around the handguard bracket good.

While we're on the subject of flashlights, does anyone know why some of them cost so much?

40$ - Push the button - Light goes on.

150$ - Push the button - Light goes on.

WTF ?

I used the little rail that comes with the Magpul RVG. Fit perfect after taking 2-3 Mm off one end.

I was looking on ebay and ran across a universal tri rail barrel mount. Has anyone tried these? Looks like it would clamp to the barrel then u can mount a flashlight and then a laser to one of the rails... I figured if u clamp it dwn right in front the gasblock it might not look to bad. Im still trying to picture it though, not sure.

Edited by Bigchris

I've tried a few different lights, and settled on the Powertac Warrior after seeing their abuse video (this was hashed out in a previous thread). I've killed 2 other lights, and while they did fine with random range time and target shooting with the S12, I went balls out and did 100 rounds as fast as I could (5 20rd drums). Strangely enough the 2 lights both died at about 70 rounds - one was a Primary Arms light, but the other was a Streamlight I think... kinda surprised it died to be honest. But so far the Warrior is holding up fine... 100 round dumps, and other abuse including accidentally being dropped from the roof onto concrete.

Go with the Olight Warrior M21x. Excellent light, under $100 from batteryjunction, and TOUGH. There are youtube vids where they punish this light. It's bright as hell (600 lumens), strobe, et cetera.

I have one on my S12, AK, and AR. Can't be beat for the price and what it comes with. It comes with a lot of extras.

BOOMER12,

FROM THE M21-X AD ON BATTERY JUNCTION.

"PLEASE NOTE: The M21-X will only run on high for the first five minutes, it will then drop to 60% to prevent overheating."

I'VE BEEN USING THE M20-X WARRIOR FOR ALMOST TWO YEARS USING THE AW 18650 2900mAh LI-ION BATTS., WITH 500 LUMENS OUTPUT, WITH NO PROBLEMS.

A FRIEND MISTAKENLY BOUGHT THE M21-X INSTEAD, WE TRIED IT, AND IT DOES DROP IN OUTPUT IN APPX. 5MIN.

THE KLARUS LIGHT MENTIONED ABOVE, THE XT11, MAY HAVE A SLIGHT EDGE ON THE M20-X.

I DO HAVE ONE OF THE 1200 LUMEN KLARUS DOUBLE-DONG XT20's, AND THAT IS ONE SUPER-BRIGHT M-F!

USING THE TWINNED-HEAD, WITH ONE REFLECTOR SMOOTH, THE OTHER ORANGE PEELED, IT ALMOST RATES AN EYE-SAFE WARNING STICKER.

IT TAKES 2 18650's, AND IF YOUR GUN CAN HANDLE THE SIZE OF IT, IT'D HAVE BAD GUYS RETINAS SIZZLIN' LIKE TWO FRIED EGGS.

JESS1344

After a little jimmy rigging I found the solution. A couple zip ties and a $5 stocking stuffer LED light and we're GTG!post-46357-0-78203100-1365747702_thumb.jpg

....yes it's a joke.

Well.. it'll work for now, for one shot :super_man:

until I can afford a REAL light!! Lol

Edited by dubya