Very good basics. I go over these with my son and his BB gun. Hes still a little young for the .22 yet. My father did the same thing with me, actually it was the same BB gun. Once I had it mastered, and was comfortable with safe shooting, I moved on to the .22 as will my son.

After all of these years, I found that I can still lob a copper BB with damn fine percission! This old Daisy pump action air rifle is still one of my absolute favorite firearms!

If you have never had an incident/accident, then you are going to have an incident/accident. The best way to keep the odds on your side is to PRACTICE safety. When we go through our drills, wether handling, shooting,cleaning or transporting-we need to force awareness on ourselves that it is a weapon, and as such needs to be respected. The most dangerous weapon to a cop of security officer is the one they carry. The day to day familiarity is of it's self a danger. I find myself thinking "this is a gun respect it". It's my way of protecting me from myself.

G O B

I think we are all missing the point. dude said he pulled the TRIGGER. wait a second. shit is fucked up. mag drops, fine. pull again. WHY THE FUCK DO YOU PULL THE TRIGGER OR JUST FLIP THAT OLE SAFTEY ON AND FORCE IT?

if its not a faulty gun (possible), then dude did something hellaciously wrong. he pulled the trigger without respecting the gun and the rules.

im not saying he DESERVED it, but I am saying he broke a cardinal rule.

I agree with mr range safety officer, up there. and I add that I have many 8 year olds and younger shoot around me. and I have a few stories of my own to boot.

but still, why pull the trigger? did he forget that he was carrying and was hot or something? thats how "suspects" get shot in the back of the head or body down on the ground in cuffs.

but still, why pull the trigger? did he forget that he was carrying and was hot or something?

I am guessing it was force of habit. I own that same pistol. In order to remove the slide you have to pull the trigger, then pull the slide back 1/8th inch, and then press the slide release button. Once you have done that you can just push the slide forward and it comes off. The second step is always pulling the trigger. The first step of course is to EMPTY THE GUN! I don't know how someone forgets the one in the whole though. :ded:

Years ago when I was on the sub, the sub tied up next to us had an incident where a torpedoman chief (on boats the torpedoman chief is the smallarms expert also) discharged a round from the 1911 he was putting away. The drill is to drop the clip, cycle the slide 3 times,check chamber is empty, point muzzle up and lower the hammer. They were in a hurry to get underway, and in the rush, he didn't make SHURE the chamber was empty.It looked empty a a glance however the round in the chamber was dark from several weeks of topside watches in the salt spray, and He dropped the hammer instead of lowering it. There was not SUPPOSED to be a round chambered. The ejector claw was broken. About 15 men shit their pants.

This was a carefull man doing a job that he had done thousands of times. He was in a hurry. The ejector claw was broken. the round was dark, and the controll room was rigged for red so the lighting was poor.

One of the seamen that had stood a boring night watch had chambered a round,playing with the pistol.

SHIT HAPPENS

G O B