What did you do during the Ammo Panic Daddy?

Some things need experience to be done right.

Never said otherwise, and I don't know of many smiths that want someone looking over their shoulder, in fact I hate it when people do that to me, so I tend not to do that to others. I've got enough mechanical experience to get it done, just had that trepidation about working on guns, parts are harder to get and more expensive than what I usually tinker with. Just had to get over it and get it done.

The only way one gains experience is by doing, and by doing their best to find out what is ahead of them.

• Like 2

same as some of the others... old enough to keep plenty of ammo on hand..(saw it coming plus believe in keeping as much on hand as one can afford), Still shooting, just working on basic drills and accuracy drills.

Never said otherwise, and I don't know of many smiths that want someone looking over their shoulder, in fact I hate it when people do that to me, so I tend not to do that to others. I've got enough mechanical experience to get it done, just had that trepidation about working on guns, parts are harder to get and more expensive than what I usually tinker with. Just had to get over it and get it done.

The only way one gains experience is by doing, and by doing their best to find out what is ahead of them.

Ah Im good company :)

Besides Ive known this guy for years and always pay my way.

Due to my background I guess I always wanted to know what I was doing before I do it, just the way I am.

Doesnt get me a spare S308 bolt though.

Reloaded, reloaded, reloaded.secret_smile.gif It's getting hard to find anything except lead pistol bullets now, but they're out there. I even started reloading 00Buck since that dried up.

BIG DITTO!

• 3 weeks later...

Good Judgment comes from Experience.

Experience comes from Poor Judgment.

Macbeau....

Edited by macbeau
  • Like 3

Mac, my calc professor used to say that. Good expression.

Well, I bought guns and ammo since the panic of 08. Actually bought multiple in November,

and would stop by Whittaker's (biggest gun store in Kentucky) on the way home from Mississippi

each week last fall. Got a lot of ammo and mags. I'm a little light on 22, didn't see that one coming.

Right now, I buy accessories. Scopes, holsters, slings, mounts. Going to change some optics around,

move a laser to a different gun, etc. etc.

• Like 1

I wrote slanderous, but true, statements about many of our elected officials on a web forum.

Purchased one gun post-shortage, a .22. Searched and found a good deal on a small supply of .22lr.

Paid a little too much for 9mm and x39.

Waited for the promised flood coming in autumn, and went back to shooting more regularly.

• Like 1

I started reloading for 9mm around new years, and sat on the rest of my ammo. Needless to say, Ive shot a couple thousand 9mm, and only a hundred or two from my rifles. I needed the handgun practice anyway.

I've been discovering how terrible I am at keeping track of my stuff. I found a sizeable box of .308 and .223 ammo and a big box of shotshells that I'd forgotten about in my garage. I also forgot that I didn't have a set of 9mm dies until they were already sold out or overpriced even though I had the foresight to get .223 and 7.62x39mm dies.

I wish I had the foresight to have bought more primers though. At the begining of the panic, they were still available, but now they too are as the wind blows. I thought $50 for 1000 was overpriced when I saw them a few weeks ago, but my local store is now charging $60. Fortunately, I've got a pretty good supply of bullets, brass, and powder, but they aren't worth a tin shilling without primers.

I also got a Savage Axis in .308, and, despite wondering if another caliber would have been a better choice for ammo supply reasons, I really enjoy it. Lower volume but more accurate firing combined with the ability to tinker in such a way as to improve more than how it looks or feels is deeply gratifying.

Bought .308 surplus and commercial everytime I went into a store before the panic. I have a rule, atleast buy 1 box of x39, .223, x54r or .308 everytime I go into a place that sells it. Works pretty good.

Bought .308 surplus and commercial everytime I went into a store before the panic. I have a rule, atleast buy 1 box of x39, .223, x54r or .308 everytime I go into a place that sells it. Works pretty good.

Yea, alot of folks are hung up on buying in bulk, all at once. Any time I see a box of x39, x54r or 22lr, I buy a box. And ive done so for a long time. Im glad to reload for my handgun at the moment, as I can focus on my rifles.

I had zero hangups during the ammo crisis. However, had I bought an AR with my tax return, instead of a reloading set up, it would have been another story.

I too have been doing things to my guns.

Also, been working on the house (which the wife appreciates, hope she doesn't get used to it). haha.gif

Been looking into a blow back airsoft M&P to set up a kill room in my garage.