Cleaning My Saiga 12

Was wanting to find out what everyone uses to clean there internals such as barrel, gas plug, punk, housing, ect. Whats the best practices and how often do ya'll clean? Do ya'll use a little oil? Any certain type of rags, oils, cleaning kits? Any insight will be help I just want to keep my S12 clean and pretty!! Peace!!

Basic is hoppes number nine. shotgun brush. and clean rag pieces.

What I love is foaming bore cleaner and a bore snakes with Hoppes on it. Then I field strip it, spray out the receiver with brake cleaner, (it will destroy shitty paint jobs) then pulll the plug and piston, I scrub the piston and wire brush (on a drill) and scrub out the gas chamber. Do not lube the puck when you reinstall it. maybe a touch of anti seize on the threads. A good gun grease on the rails, oil on the trigger assembly, hammer and oil the lugs on the bolt/bolt assembly rotating bits. Oil any thing that moves except the puck/Piston!

Ak systems will run with oil or no oil, dirt or no dirt. they are designed that way. The saiga shotgun mainly needs the gas chamber kept clean of the plastic fouling that comes up through the gas ports. The puck should slide freely after cleaning

Basic is hoppes number nine. shotgun brush. and clean rag pieces.

What I love is foaming bore cleaner and a bore snakes with Hoppes on it. Then I field strip it, spray out the receiver with brake cleaner, (it will destroy shitty paint jobs) then pulll the plug and piston, I scrub the piston and wire brush (on a drill) and scrub out the gas chamber. Do not lube the puck when you reinstall it. maybe a touch of anti seize on the threads. A good gun grease on the rails, oil on the trigger assembly, hammer and oil the lugs on the bolt/bolt assembly rotating bits. Oil any thing that moves except the puck/Piston!

Ak systems will run with oil or no oil, dirt or no dirt. they are designed that way. The saiga shotgun mainly needs the gas chamber kept clean of the plastic fouling that comes up through the gas ports. The puck should slide freely after cleaning

I looked on Hoppes wed site which cleaning kit would you recommend for the s12 and a AR 15?

It's an AK type. Don't you just hose it off in the yard and pitch it back in the truck bed???

Always give the gun a quick wipe down with oily rag after every outing. At least swab the barrel with a little bit of oil.

About every three hundred rounds, I use cheap break cleaner (NOT CARB CLEANER) and a brass brush and a paperclip for grooves. Swab out the barrel with brake cleaner. Swab/wipe all dry with a paper towel and leave the gas system bone dry. Then, put a thin dab of oil (Mobil 1 10W30 or 10W20 motor oil - sooo much better than most gun oils and costs a third as much) on the gas regulator threads, bolt stem (NOT STRIKER at bolt tail end), bottom of carrier, and rails. Lightly wipe fire control group parts and recoil assembly with an oiled rag. Do same for any exposed steel anywhere else. Lightly swab an oil rag down the barrel. Reassemble, and rack slide violently 5 times. Dry fire. Done.

I plan on coating mine with Eezox as well. Inhibits rust better than any other product I have seen. It completely seals metal from water and is dry after application. Also makes cleanup much easier, since the grime never touches the metal surface. Google "6mmbr eezox" and see the test. It's amazing stuff! Be sure and use only synthetic oil with it though. I have used it for years, and cannot tell you how pleased I am with it.

Edited by Nephilim7

i just use the remington 3 pack. use remington action cleaner to clean out where the puck and plug go. use bore brite and a 12 gauge bore snake down the barrel. and put some rem oil on moving parts..

other than that its just an AK-47 chamberd in 12 gauge throw it in the mud get a rag wipe it. dip a sock in some grease run it threw the barrel and call it good!!!

I have found on both my .410 and 12, that after shooting a lot, when I remove the plug and force out the puck, that inside there, is a "ring" of plastic crud or a mixture of things. I had tried to scrape it out and clean inside up, but would only get 25-40 shots before I started having problems with the gun. I got one of my S/S brushes from the shop that I use on 3/4" copper pipe to clean it before sweating the connections, knocked off the plastic handle, flattened the wire to fit in my drill and stuck it inside with the drill running wide open. HOT DAMN Gomer, off came all the crud and I'm getting over 150-200 rounds before I see a bad crud ring building up, interfering with the puck, that is, on the .410, the 12, I have not run more than 25 rounds thru it in 6 months. The wire brush will take out all the crud, and also clean the threads inside, which makes it easier to put the plug back in.

Simple:

Brake cleaner for removing all gunk in any gunky area.

Scotchbrite or wire brush on gas puck with brake cleaner.

White lithium grease on the rails & contact points on BCG.

THIN THIN layer of white lithium on the edges of the puck.

Thin wrap of thread tape on your plug threads then shoot the hell out ta it!

#9 on everything. Now have a tornado brush, which takes the plastic/lead fowling out quickly. 10 ga bronze brush for the gas block. Military toothbrush everything. Q-tip and pipe cleaner out the tight spots.

Trying CLP this time around though. I may try the Froglube.

Thanks for all the tips guys I with and got some Hoppes #9 oil and cleaner and a Hoppes bore snake. Also went ahead and got some CLP and Break Cleaner.. Going to give the S12 a good cleaning and go have some fun. After I get back from shooting I might have some questions for you guys but I will make a new post. Again thanks for the info... PEACE!!!

Edited by dmoss8928

doesn't matter what product you use, they all do the same thing, same with brushes, you don't have to get all fancy with that or spend more then what a standard bronze brush goes for. gas block is easy, as well as the rest of the gun to clean, a little cleaner in the gas block then use the bore brush to get the carbon out of the block then run the bore brush from the other end to clean the gas tube. then wipe it dry

don't put any oil in the gas block, gas tube or puck, leave it dry.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins