I have sent this to my reps, just cut and pasted it yesterday, also added a lot of my own thoughts. Have been sending emails about it for the last week, about 10 so far, and continuing to call and bother the hell out of them.

http://www.theblaze.com/contributions/top-10-bogus-arguments-for-the-marketplace-fairness-act/

Edited by Syndicate

I get all that, but here's the counter points I'm struggling with:

1) If I go to the store I pay sales tax. Is it an unfair advantage over my local gun store (which has never price gouged, when they have pmags they are $15 and 5.56 for $10-$12 a box) for an online retailer to not have to collect sales tax

2) States are losing out on revenue because I'm no buying stuff online and not in the stores.

If you read the entire article, it states that only businesses with OVER $1m in sales would have to collect taxes.

Small mom&pop places would still be ok to not pay taxes. I do agree with Ebay that maybe it should be higher ($5-$10m) Considering that even if you sell $1m and make 10% profit, you're only making $100k. And I doubt people are making 10% off Pmags when they were 10/$100.

I would like to see the bill simplify the sales tax to say a flat 5% online tax that gets paid to the state where the product was shipped. That way it evens out the playing field but you don't have Mom/pop stores worrying about county to county sales tax differences.

In FL the State tax is 6%, but some counties are as high as 7%. It's like having Concealed carry regulated at the county level. It's just asking for trouble.

• Like 1

1) If I go to the store I pay sales tax. Is it an unfair advantage over my local gun store (which has never price gouged, when they have pmags they are $15 and 5.56 for $10-$12 a box) for an online retailer to not have to collect sales tax

2) States are losing out on revenue because I'm no buying stuff online and not in the stores.

Not to mention businesses that could/can not compete with online sales due to their overhead and going under. No matter how you look at this, our cost of living will go up.

• Like 1

Either way its still bullshit. Another way for the faggot thugs in our system to get a finger in the pie, when they already have too much of our fucking pie to begin with.

• Like 1

Online retailers have to pay for shipping, so there isn't really an advantage, and besides governments steal enough money from people, they need to stop the waste and cut services.

ETA - Are you trying to imply that the State of Michigan doesn't have enough revenue? We have plenty of revenue, the problem is we have the liberal shithole called Detroit and it is really expensive!

Edited by HOG76

Yeah, that's right. The shipping costs erase any advantage from lack of sales tax for on-line vendors. It's 100% about raising tax money.

The big farce is that the buyer's state gets the sales tax revenue. Why should they? The tax, if any, should go to the state where the business resides, just as if you drove across state line and picked it up yourself. So a crappy state with bad business laws drives their businesses to a neighboring state, and then they get the sales tax revenue? Nonsense!