well, this is pretty disturbing, but doesnt surprise me in the least:

Are your police protecting you? They don't have to! Date: Monday 28 November, 2005

News Content:

Protect yourself. The police certainly won't do it. In fact, the police don't HAVE to do it. In the case of Castle Rock v. Gonzales, the Supreme Court stated that we do not have a constitutional right to police protection. Although most police departments have the motto of "protect and serve," they don't have to do either. They can choose to do nothing.

Jessica Gonzales found that out the hard way. She was separated from her husband, Simon, and had custody of their three minor children. After she obtained a restraining order against him, he came to her house and kidnapped their children. Jessica called the police, who came to her house - and did NOTHING!

By court order, Simon was allowed only limited access to his children. Taking them away from Jessica's house was not among the privileges he enjoyed. That's why Jessica called the police in the first place. The officers took no action against Simon because they felt he had a legal right to take the children. Furthermore, they stated that going to Jessica's house and abducting the children was still in compliance with the restraining order against him!

The next morning, Simon drove to a police station and started shooting at the building. The cops shot back and took him out. The corpses of his daughters were found in his pickup truck.

Jessica sued the police department for $30 million, claiming they had violated her 14th Amendment right to due process. She won at the Appeals level, but the Supreme Court reversed the lower court, basing their decision on 150 years of judicial precedence.

In 1856, the Supremes declared that "law enforcement officers had no affirmative duty to provide such protection." The same issue came up again in 1982, when the Court of Appeals Seventh Circuit stated "there is no constitutional right to be protected by the state against being murdered by criminals or madmen."

Where does that leave us? To our own devices. Specifically, guns. Guns don't decide for themselves if a person has criminal intent. Guns don't take 20 minutes to respond to my emergency. Guns don't stop at doughnut shops when they should be protecting me. Guns don't try to protect a criminal's rights. In fact, the entire purpose of my gun is to "protect and serve" ME.

Guns have a rich history of defending and preserving the lives of ordinary citizens. It's too late for Jessica's girls, but it's not too late for you. Get a gun. Learn to shoot. Protect yourself. No one else will step up to the plate.

Another thing little known is the duty of the police is to "serve and protect the public" if I remember correctly. I do believe police can be held negligent in civil suits, however the word "public" has helped protect them from this kind of suit. "Public" can mean many different things, however if there's a maniac coming after you and your family with a knife when you live way out in the woods, is a police officer doing his duty coming way out there to protect you? Are you the public? Or is the "public" better suited by having the police officer nearer to the urban city where the police presence will be felt more and act as a better deterant for the public? I would assume that a crime on private property affecting only a few people and not the rest of the public is not considered the duty of police to handle. They probably do handle it, thankfully, but that is each officer's personal choice. Some departments probably don't explain this well, but legally I believe the officer only is obligated to respond on public property or if public welfare is endangered, which is another can of worms that I'll avoid here. Bottom line, get a gun, train with a gun: don't be dependant on others.

The key words here are that it is the policemans/womans duty to "protect the *PUBLIC* at large." It does not really apply to the individual citizen. :cryss:

That's how come the police can not be held responsible if someone has a restraining order out against someone else, and that person chooses to ignore it (after all, they have to first show hostile intent). And that's why in some housing areas (Chicago's Cabrini-Green comes to mind here), you'd be hard pressed to see a police patrol car or ambulance patrolling the streets after the sun sets. :eek:

so, what you mean, is that the constitution does not say that police dont have to protect joe schome, because they arent part of the public at large and it doesnt SAY that that is a right in the constitution, but yet in the constitution, our right to bear arms says we HAVE that right, and yet it is limited for the greater good of the public at large?

anybody else see something wrong with that? I hope I worded that right. how the fuck does that work is what I want to know?

Certain places in Wash.D.C. are 6 man calls for D.C.PD. The old Arthur Kappa housing project (since torn down-THANK GOD) was one. I used to run night calls there on occasion. D.C. has a 100% gun ban. However, I always brought along my little Italian friend.

G O B

Um, Bvamp, where are you making the connection between the police and what the Constitution says? :huh:

I just know (confirmed by a pro-2nd Amendment Cop over on REC.GUNS and a court case where two women tried sueing their local police force after being attacked at home and being almost killed in the process and also having a restraining order in place at the time of the attack) is that the police are under no obligation to protect an individual (or two, in the case of the two women), but to protect the public citizenry at large.

And after seeing them pull out during the L.A. riots leaving citizens to fend for themselves, even that claim is under scrutiny. :lol:

Things to have on hand. My opinion, and in order.

1. 22rifle and 500 rounds (AR-7 is perfect)

2. 3days minimum of non perishable food, 3gals. min. of water for everyone you are going to be responsible for.

3. Military poncho and liner for everyone you are responsible for.

4.Reliable transportation-preferably 4 wheel drive.

5. Pistol and 100rds. min.

6. Chainsaw and gasoline.

7. Tent and sleepingbags

8. AK, Saiga,or SKS in x39. 200 rounds min.

9. Saiga shotgun and 200 rounds.

G O B

Edited by G O B

OK guys, just for arguements sake, what do you have or think is important for your OMG! the SHTF! supplies. One thing I forgot to add to the list is a couple grand cash. So - what do you think is important and WHY!

G O B

Well, I will start with the general list and not mention it... cause everyone has a slightly different list of "gotta haves"...

BUT...

There is one thing that EVERYONE should have that ISNT on the list...

KNOWLEDGE...

In the case of natural disasters, can you survive? If a huge tsunami wipes out an entire coast, and you are inland... not really anything to worry about directly... but if you are close... and are alive... CAN YOU SURVIVE? can you aquire fresh POTABLE water without needing to find a stash of bottles? can you aquire enough food for you and your family to eat to survive?? Will you be able to build rudimentary shelter to protect yourself from the elements???

DO you know which plants are edible? Do you know how to butcher a critter, so that you CAN eat it? How to start a fire when you're out of matches, or lighters? Are you knowledgeable in first aid if you or a loved one is seriously injured, and what to do to stave off potentially fatal infections, when medical treatment is going to be nearly impossible to aquire...

CAN YOU LIVE OFF THE LAND if you need to???

It seems a shame, that most of us in todays society have become overly dependant on the ability to just go out and buy whatever we need... when it comes down to the fact of pure survival, will you have the knowledge to stay ahead of the rest of the masses? ( thats when your LIST comes back into play... weapons, ammo to protect yourself... and to aquire game to eat...)

THAT, I think, is the MOST IMPORTANT aspect of being prepared for a SHTF scenario.

:smoke:

Don't forget beer. Gotta have beer!

A good knife

a good woman

bow saw

axe

guns

ammo

extra mags

good flashlight and backup batteries

radio with disc or cassette player(gotta have tunes with your news)

plenty of water or at least tabs

warm and dry clothing

a shitload of butane lighters

plenty of gasoline

There is one thing that EVERYONE should have that ISNT on the list...

KNOWLEDGE...

In the case of natural disasters, can you survive? If a huge tsunami wipes out an entire coast, and you are inland... not really anything to worry about directly... but if you are close... and are alive... CAN YOU SURVIVE? can you aquire fresh POTABLE water without needing to find a stash of bottles? can you aquire enough food for you and your family to eat to survive??

Hell yeah, this is easy. Use the Saiga-12 (aka "Looter shooter") on the thug coming out of WalMart with 24 pack of Beer, 12 DVD's and a Ham and I'm set till low tide.

Edited by M15A4spr
The .22 turns small animals into dinner,and does what needs to be done to dogs.

Redundancy???

When you and your children are starving...

Some oriental culinary delicacies might sound pretty tasty. :lol:

yeh well when you are talking something happening that you would have a need to have an outlook like that, remember, that 22lr is a PRIME round to wound the enemy (or shoot em in the eye), and noone will know where the shot came from.

YUMMY YUM YUM!!

This thread brings new meaning to "HowTo Serve Your Fellow Man."

In regards to Survival kits- My furnace uses heating oil. Heating Oil is Diesel Fuel

I own a Diesel Generator.

In regards to weapons I have enough and have broken them into two categories Defense and Working [hunting]

We have a half acre of property on which we plant vegies and fruits.

But the most powerful defense is that in my neighborhood most of us [12 houses] are second generations living in our parents house. The newest addition moved in 10 years ago and she's a County Sheriff!