MD Arms 20rnd Drum Will Not Fit in Mag Well

Has anyone else had this problem? I got two of them when they started to sell them during the "ban scare" and started to engrave the covers and never fit them by filing the tab so it will lock into place. I never even tried to put them in until a couple weekends ago. It wont even fit in the magazine well. It will fit my friends saiga-12 but you have to shove it in the well. With my saiga-12 you cant even shove it in place. Im at school right now and will upload pictures of it when I get home.....

Thanks, Fitty%

Read about fitting MD drums. MD Arms sight has a video I think. Go slow and follow Mike's advice to a "T". Mine were very tight at first and wore in. Are they tight on the sides of the feed tower?

Read about fitting MD drums. MD Arms sight has a video I think. Go slow and follow Mike's advice to a "T". Mine were very tight at first and wore in. Are they tight on the sides of the feed tower?

Yes...the drum will NOT fit into the mag well at all. I didnt think you had to remove material from the sides of the feed tower, just the tab that locks it into the well.

Mine was a very snug fit. I worked it in and out firmly about thirty times, and pieces of plastic shaved off the sides because of the mag well rubbing. Finally, it locked up solidly. It required no other fitting for my gun. I have another MD-20 I need to check. I bet it is the same.

I would pop off the metal feed lips and take some sand paper on a foam block to it. I'd swipe from the top of the tower to the base, swapping sides and checking fit often. I would only shape where it is needed and only just enough to pivot the drum in snugly. It will probably wear itself in from there. Be sure to follow Mike D's instructions exactly and in order. Shouldn't take much.

***I know YOU can figure this stuff out, but others may not. Let us know how it goes!

I've never heard of anyone needing to remove material from the sides of the magwell before. If I remember right, you're not running any aftermarket magwells or have anything funky going on there. Odd.

If you've got the tools, maybe measure the width of your magwell opening and others here might be able to tell you if it's too tight or the drums are just too thick (never heard of that though).

Edited by Corbin

Mine was a very snug fit. I worked it in and out firmly about thirty times, and pieces of plastic shaved off the sides because of the mag well rubbing. Finally, it locked up solidly. It required no other fitting for my gun. I have another MD-20 I need to check. I bet it is the same.

I would pop off the metal feed lips and take some sand paper on a foam block to it. I'd swipe from the top of the tower to the base, swapping sides and checking fit often. I would only shape where it is needed and only just enough to pivot the drum in snugly. It will probably wear itself in from there. Be sure to follow Mike D's instructions exactly and in order. Shouldn't take much.

***I know YOU can figure this stuff out, but others may not. Let us know how it goes!

I used a dremmel and a file. Got A. Profiled to fit as video said then worked on part B. And lightly took it til it fit. Hardly makes a noise when inserted into the receiver/magwell. Its so snug with no wobble works great. Ill trade mine for a magwell

Its not "A" or "B"......the drum will NOT fit in the mag well. My buddies saiga-12 it will fit like yours Nephilim7 where it "shaves" some material off the sides. It WONT fit in AT ALL. Like I said Im at school now and will post pictures when I get home.

Oh so your have problems ecen getting it to just slip in at all like sides are to thick on the drum or your magwells dimensions are a little tighter?

Hmm.. if I remember correctly mine was REALLY tight on the sides but slowly the magwell shaved enough plastic to slide in smoothly.

Edited by travistp

factory mags at metal feed lips........1.025

agp mags " " " " 1.025

1st run md arms drums " " " 1.045

4 drums fit 6 s12's with regards to the width. Never did anything except the A B fitting.

You may want to check the width of the drums and tell us what you get.

• Like 1

Some of the new shotguns will/have required removal of some of the materiel around the existing magazine well/opening as they are undersized. Generally about .010 off of both sides will be all you need.

Jack

blackhawk

i've been having the same problem. its not an A or B problem for me either. i've been meaning to post about it, but just haven't had the chance. hope you find an answer, because i can't get 2 different drums to fit in several different s-12's either

Some of the new shotguns will/have required removal of some of the materiel around the existing magazine well/opening as they are undersized. Generally about .010 off of both sides will be all you need.

Jack

Precisely..

Sorry I didnt get a chance to get the pictures up, Two kids under the age of 2 lol. I have one drum that will fit but it scrapes on the sides but the other one wont fit in at all lol. Mike Rogers told me to call him about the fix for it and I will when I have the time to lol.

Thanks guys!

I think, Jack Travers gave you all the info you need. 10 minutes with a file, should finish her up.

What else would Mike have to say beyond that? Either you shave the tower, or you shave the receiver, or a little of both.

Yeah, I seem to remember some early imports had this problem. My 07 S12 would not accept an AGP mag when I first got it (Factory mags were fine.), had to open up the magwell a hair and square the corners off. Took about 10 minutes with a file, no need to send it out for just a little filing.

Yeah, I seem to remember some early imports had this problem. My 07 S12 would not accept an AGP mag when I first got it (Factory mags were fine.), had to open up the magwell a hair and square the corners off. Took about 10 minutes with a file, no need to send it out for just a little filing.

Yeah seeing as I'm in school for machining I think I should be able to do it myself lol.

Wish I could go to school for machining. Im cnc lathe guy for 5 yeara. Ran everything from little 3/8 pins to running 50" parts on a vtl. Running some 20" collet flanges now. I hate working for the oilfield. Wish I work for a gunshop.