it was an auction, starting price was 620 buying price was 625 and hes installing a bullet button im sending him for free. gunbroker isnt bad to deal with just need to look harder since im from cali and a lot of people don't want to have to deal with calis antiquated gun laws.

this will be more of a fun shotgun to take out plinking. This will be my 4th 12ga shotgun, i have an ithica o/u, remington 870, and an old sears and roebuck break action.

as for the stock im still undecided.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Welcome. Enjoy your saiga, and bring a small piece of freedom to your corner of the world.     +1 They need to drop that witch hunt. There have been idiots before that came and went and pulled she

You've been needlessly accusing a lot of people. Stop.

Got any abrasive asshole balm? Or ran out a long time ago?

Now in stock... Skin thickening Gel. Guaranteed to help thicken up any thin patches. Also helps testicles to drop should they be hung up. Im here for you bro. I also have a few cans of EMO B-Gone as well. It keeps those emotional types from getting under ones skin.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

well my ffl got my shotgun on the 28th now im just waiting the 10 days before i can go back and pick it up. got most all the stuff i need for the conversion, just need some small wants to make it more comfortable to shoot.

hogue pistol grip

carolina SS trigger guard

kvar polymer stock warsaw

tapco g2 (im going to grind it down to make it work)

trigger retainter plate

10 round sgm mag

sgm modified threaded choke

tac47 autoplug

and a tromix side charging handel

i still need to pick up a mercury tube for the stock and a limbsaver pad to add length

• Like 1

its not gonna be hard converting it, its ust gonna be a walk in the park lol. its far less involved than building an ak receiver from a flat into a working rifle which ive done three times already lol.

still trying to decide if i want to take it to the shooting range first before i convert it or now.

who makes a good recoil pad for an ak stock?

• Like 1

picked my saiga 12 up today as well has finished my ar15 build so all in all it was a good day. ive already installed the knurled charging handle, my sgm tactical modified choke and the tac47 autoplug. the auto plug was the hardest to install, ended up using a punch to help turn the plug asa it was extremely hard to turn it by hnd but i managed to get it installed i think tomorrow ill start converting it.

there are 4 gas ports on my saiga, did any one have problems with 4 gas ports ever not feeding win bulk pack from wally world?

The answer to your question is "yes".

Plenty of people have. It isn't just number of ports, it is size of ports and whether they are blocked. Most guns will run well with 3 dram ammo and up provided they have 4 unobstructed ports at least .078" to a max of 4 @ .093. I suggest you test it for function with the stock plug and Walmart federal 1200 FPS 1 1/8 oz of shot before attempting to tune the autoplug.

Please see the 'reliability' link in my signature for an explanation of procedure.

This is perhaps the most common question and it has been answered many times before.

i ended up converting it last night, biggest pita was sanding down the kvar stock to fit the shotgun with out needing to force it in as well as removing a chunk of plastic from the bottom front in the middle to allow for the rear screw on the carolina SS triggerguard.

still have acouple small things to do, modify the bho to allow easier dissassimbly . also going to sand the finish off around the left over holes and weld close the holes and paint them over with alumahyde 2 from brownells.

gunfun ill do your recommendations before i start with the auto plug. hopefully everything goes well and my saiga likes win bulk as i just bought 300+ rounds of it.

heres a pic of the saiga so far and my ar15 i just finished.

1039969_10200792448244885_631331035_o.jp

03r8.jpg

Edited by generalpetres

saiga 12, this isn't my first firearm based on the ak platform. i have built an romy g ak47, bulgy ak74, and an psl. just glad i was able to get it for 655 shipped considering every where i looked people were trying to sell used ones for over 1k.

655?

Thought you said 625....

got the stock drilled and mounted and test fit everything to make sure its working good. might need to remove a little more metal on the bho but i got everything in and working, trigger and safety are working perfectly. going to take it apart and weld up the 5 holes that i dont need and then paint it with some alumahyde.

Slick up the rails with some fine sandpaper and don't paint them.

Make sure to tape off everything before you weld. You don't want to be picking dingle berries out from under the rails and trying to get that smooth. Or inside the barrel.

Slick up the rails with some fine sandpaper and don't paint them.

Make sure to tape off everything before you weld. You don't want to be picking dingle berries out from under the rails and trying to get that smooth. Or inside the barrel.

wont be any slag, going to be using some pennies as backing plates so the inside is nice and smooth then going to sand the outside down flush then paint it. still trying to decide how im going to install a recoil pad to that plastic stock since the innards are mostly hollow.

you sent me one with the wood and the mercury tube.

I am pretty sure I at least put a link to AZG's thread at the end of that. His starts with wood, but a couple guys do some plastic stuff there too.

ill check it out, i think im going to go with the dual action purpose pad DA-302-10-M: 1-7/8" x 5-1/4" x 1-1/8" - DA layer 1/4". the measurements for the back of the kvar stock are 1-3/8" wide*4"tall. so that pad should fit it ok, it will just need a bit trimmed down. its also not to far off on the screw holes the pad is 3.125" spacing while center to center on the buttstock is 3.25" so it only needs to get moved outward 1/4" and the stock i will trim down 1/4 of an inch to make it flush. hopefully it goes well and i dont f it up.

Course belt sander or a metal cutting grinding wheel seemed to be the smoothest way to remove material. Make sure to use the freezer trick often. It makes a huge difference.

holes are welded closed anad ground smooth now just waiting for my brownells order to get here on thursday. might take it to the range to test it with my win bulk to make sure it cycles. the gas plug should be set at 2 for low power loads correct?

so say it doesnt cycle what drill size interval i should go with till i get it to work right? i would prefer it to work with the win bulk as i cant find federal bulk to often.

welded up the extra holes in the receiver from the conversion and painted the receiver with alumahyde 2 flat black.

lk8a.jpg

sanded the stock flat in the back and drilled the area where the cleaning kit would go larger to fit the 7/8x5" mercury tube. didnt have a 7/8 drill bit but did have an 29/32 drill bit which is only 1/32 larger. also used the top hole for the recoil pad and drilled a new hole for the lower hole for the recoil pad. epoxied the old screw hole and added some epoxy to the bottom to help strengthen the stock as i removed some plastic ribs that gave the stock strength. all in all you dont really need any epoxy to add a recoil pad to a polymer kvar stock.

3acg.jpg

wrapped some electrical tape around the mercury tube so it would be a tight fit in the stock which is is now. then i epoxyed a 3/4" nylon spacer on the back of the tube and sanded it flush with the back of the stock so when the recoil pad is installed it will not move anywhere.

i6o6.jpg

heres what the stock looks like with the recoil pad attached. the recoil pad is a Kick-EEZ Dual Action Medium Pad DA-302-10-M. I still have to sand the pad down to match the dimensions of the stock but all in all this was a very easy mod to do. the longest process on this will be sanding down the recoil pad.

d7c7.jpg

43gy.jpg

only other mod i needed to do to the stock was notch out the center part of the stock that sits in the saiga 12 to allow for the carolina shooter supply trigger guard.

k136.jpg

Edited by generalpetres
  • Like 1