Well, the oldest officially pissed off momma, and she told me to sell the AR I had been building for him. Long story short, he's thinking with the wrong head, and thinks he owns the place. I have a gun show next Saturday, and have looked at a few AK's locally. We figured it up, and I have about $1700 tied up in the AR(counting all the mags and upgrades), but it's fodder right now. I know I'd never get that much out of a frankenrifle. I'm hoping for a good AK and hopefully some ammo in trade for it.

Anyways, wife shot my Saiga finally, and likes it. The Warsaw stock was perfect for her height. I want to try to find another Saiga, but in a 20-24" barrel to make a baby Drag out of, or a PAP M92 pistol. I've been able to handle a Vepr, a M70, a M92(wife likes that little fireball), a M10, and an Inter-Ordnance. I know WASR-10's are bottom of the barrel, and would pass on that unless it came with mucho ammo.

So, what would you recommend? I had a poll going in the "other AK" section, but opening all my options right now.

ETA: Must be an x39 chamber. I have plenty of that fodder around, and we want to be able to mag share.

Edited by Lone Eagle

I was gonna suggest a AK 74, but since you wanna stay x39, I vote for a Yugo underfolder, Centerfire Systems has them for $749 right now....i would post you a link, but that's taboo here....

• Like 1

I was gonna suggest a AK 74, but since you wanna stay x39, I vote for a Yugo underfolder, Centerfire Systems has them for $749 right now....i would post you a link, but that's taboo here....

Taxes and FFL ..... add $100 = ouch.

I'm glad that I got mine when I did. I have $1300 into two functional rifles and a kit (in progress). I had just started my rifle collection the year before the Obama 2A scare.

Edited by Sim_Player

Taxes and FFL ..... add $100 = ouch.

I'm glad that I got mine when I did. I have $1300 into two functional rifles and a kit (in progress). I had just started my rifle collection the year before the Obama 2A scare.

I hear you. I started this thing in Summer 2011, picking up parts here and there until I had it finished. I didn't realize how much I had invested until I figured it up the totals.

I'm trying to stay x39 because I have plenty of that lying around right now, and can find more locally if needed.

Edited by Lone Eagle

My AES10B RPK is the most accurate 7.62x39 AK I've shot - 3-5" groups at 200 yd with usual steel case ammo, and I bet it would stay about the same out to 300 or more. The 23.5" VEPR is about the same thing. If you want to let 7.62x39 stretch its legs for a Dragunov/PSL clone, I would go that route. The long/heavy barrel DOES help.

• Like 2

My vote is with W8lifter, you have enough to afford the M92 pistol, tax stamp, and stock(also a red dot lol). Id love to have one sbr'ed but my cash flow has been limited for projects. Also a plus that your wife digs it, she'll really get a kick out of it with a stock added!

I agree with Captain Hero, and I'd go with a Vepr. I like my Saiga, but I luv red_heart.gif my Vepr. Saiga would be my second choice. I just prefer Russian over every other country of build origin.

I agree Liberty. I know there are lots of quality AK's out there, but theres something about the Russian guns that give me a tingly feeling inside.

• Like 1