***Massive solar flare narrowly misses Earth, EMP disaster barely avoi

GUYS,

WOW, DODGED A BIG BULLET HERE; NOTHING LIKE BEING REDUCED TO LIVING AN 1840'S LIFESTYLE IN AN EYEBLINK.

THE CIVILIAN POWER GRID, IN SPITE OF REPEATED WARNINGS OF EMP, EITHER FROM NUCLEAR STRIKE, OR MASSIVE SOLAR FLARE, HAS DONE EXACTLY ZERO TO HARDEN THEIR SYSTEMS TO RESIST EMP.

THE STATE OF MAINE IS THE SOLE EXCEPTION, AND THEY ARE BARELY INTO THE PLANNING STAGES.

JESS1344

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WOLVERINES!!!!!!!

Not 100% sure I agree with this. I remember a world without computers and in many ways it was better. Slower pace and more of an opportunity for true craftsmanship and talent to shine.   I also thi

It is in the flawed nature of man to be foolish.   Education and intelligence are the tools of wisdom, they are of no value when misused.

Posted Images

MSNBC could have been knocked off the air?

Getting back to "basics" sounds pretty good right now. Us "preppers" will be "sitting pretty". If you don't prepare for emergencies, you deserve to walk the Darwinian Path.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 2

Heh... Think of all the data that isn't stored in hardened shelters that would be last. Think of all the irreplaceable research that would be destroyed.

Things would suck, people would die, sure - but when all was said and done, I bet we'd have lost an incalculable amount of precious research and set ourselves back decades in some fields.

Then there's the production hit - CNC machines? Command computers pretty much all bricked. CAD design files gone.

Computers are everywhere... This would be a Very Bad Thing.

Not 100% sure I agree with this.

I remember a world without computers and in many ways it was better. Slower pace and more of an opportunity for true craftsmanship and talent to shine.

I also think that an event like this would "thin the herd" in a way that could be beneficial in the long run.

Yes it would be horrific for a short time but in the long run maybe a blessing.

• Like 4

Not 100% sure I agree with this.

I remember a world without computers and in many ways it was better. Slower pace and more of an opportunity for true craftsmanship and talent to shine.

I also think that an event like this would "thin the herd" in a way that could be beneficial in the long run.

Yes it would be horrific for a short time but in the long run maybe a blessing.

It wouldn't simply be a return to olden times - it would be a shitty time, during which computers would be manufactured to replace what was lost.

The power grid would be restored, and within ten years we would have recovered from the brunt of the economical and infrastructure damage.

Meanwhile, access to clean water would be a huge problem for a while, and that lack would lead to a shitload of deaths.

I wouldn't worry about the computers on the CNC machines, I'd be more concerned about the motors that make them turn! On the lathe I'm looking at, The CNC is an add-on, but all the manual controls are still avalible, so for it, only motive power is a concern. As long as I can make it turn, I can still build things!

• Like 1

If it comes fine we will deal with it but I wont wish for it.

Imagine losing your entire family to cholera. No thanks.

On a more positive note "Lights Out" is being made into a movie;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cWnbrwjnbZA

Edited by Rhodes1968

What if... only one hemisphere was affected? Half the world would still be in "today" while the other half would be knocked-back to "yesterday."

If only the side facing the sun was affected, how about just the Atlantic Ocean? A "glancing blow" to the Eastern US, Iceland, Greenland, Ireland, Portugal?

I'd have to give it some serious thought to try to figure out what would happen at that point... :unsure:

Hoarders if they live will rule. He who has the most guns and ammo wins.

22LR the will be the new dollar. Cats (which tastes like chicken) will be the new small game.

JERRY,

^^10 ON .22LR!

SO MANY CATS; SO FEW RECIPES.................

JESS1344

What if... only one hemisphere was affected? Half the world would still be in "today" while the other half would be knocked-back to "yesterday."

If only the side facing the sun was affected, how about just the Atlantic Ocean? A "glancing blow" to the Eastern US, Iceland, Greenland, Ireland, Portugal?

I'd have to give it some serious thought to try to figure out what would happen at that point... unsure.png

It wouldn't be just one blast as from a bomb, but a continuous event for some length of time possibly covering the entire globe. A "hit" on the Atlantic side would take out the entire civilization right up front. The Pacific would be a bad day for at least West Coast of Americas, Asia, Russia and prob Europe on the tail end. Cant see any favorable outcome here.

GUYS,
HERE'S THE BAD NEWS, BEEN WAITING FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO SAY IT; DARTH GETS THE GOLD STAR FOR THE WEEK.

Large scale long term power failure =YEARS IF NOT DECADES economic collapse =ABSOLUTE social collapse.ABSOLUTE Millions will die.90% IN FIRST YEAR.

AT THAT POINT, THIS COUNTRY WILL BE FLAT ON ITS BACK, LEGS SPREAD.

WHO WILL BE THE FIRST TO STEP IN, TO "HELP" OUT; YOU KNOW, FOR "HUMANITARIAN" REASONS, RUSSIA OR CHINA?

BETTER DEVELOP A TASTE FOR RICE, IMHO, ONLY THE CHINESE HAVE THE POPULATION TO PULL IT OFF.

JESS1344

Click here: http://www.empcommission.org/docs/A2473-EMP_Commission-7MB.pdf

Unless it is from a directed attack instead of a flare then nobody is coming to "help" via sea or air unless they row or flap their arms real fuckin fast.

Everyone would be pretty damned near neck deep in their own problems to go looking for trouble.

However, walking north across a southern border would be possible but they would not be in better shape.

A directed strike on the other hand would result in a massive retaliation and again pointless discounting insanity. These weapon systems along with command and control are hardened.

I just dont see an invasion scenario being more than a localized problem on the Southwestern border, bad enough I guess. The real problems would come from other "citizens".

GUYS,

IT WOULD DEPEND ON A VARIETY OF FACTORS.

IF IT'S FROM THE SUN, IT WOULD DEPEND UPON THE STRENGTH OF THE PULSE, AND WHETHER IT'S A DIRECT , FULL-ON HIT OR A GLANCING BLOW.

IF IT'S A DIRECT HIT, THEN EVERYONE IS GOING TO HAVE TO TAKE A BITE OF THE SHIT SANDWICH, AGAIN, DEPENDING ON STRENGTH, WITH THOSE ON THE SIDE FACING AWAY TAKING A COMMENSURATELY SMALLER BITE.

A GLANCING BLOW, LESS SO, AGAIN, IT'S ALL DEPENDENT ON STRENGTH.

IF IT'S A NUCLEAR EMP STRIKE, THEN I WOULD EXPECT THAT THE GUILTY PARTY(S) WILL WAIT OUT A FEW MONTHS UNTIL THE MAJORITY OF THE POPULATION HAD DIED OF ALL CAUSES AND/OR KILLED EACH OTHER OFF, AND WALTZ RIGHT IN.

THINGS WOULD BE SO DESPERATE BY THAT POINT, THAT MOST WOULD WELCOME A "STABILIZING" PRESENCE, WITH SUFFICIENT FOOD, CLEAN WATER, MEDICINE, REPLACEMENT TRANSFORMERS, AND MOST OF ALL ORDER.

THOSE OF US THAT HAVE SURVIVED IN POCKETS, HERE AND THERE, WILL BECOME THE VIET-CONG, AGAINST THE OCCUPIERS.

READ THE REPORT, OR AT LEAST SKIM IT, BEFORE SOUNDING OFF.

AND THIS REPORT IS FROM 2008, FURTHER RESEARCH SINCE THEN HAS SHOWN THAT THINGS WILL BE EVEN WORST THAN WHATS IN THE '08 REPORT.

READ THE BOOK "ONE SECOND AFTER", ALSO AVAILABLE ON CD, IT WILL GIVE YOU AN INKLING OF WHAT IT CAN BE, THOUGH I PERSONALLY THINK IT PAINTS A BIT TOO ROSY OF A PICTURE.

JESS1344

Worry about your neighbors, not the chinese.

When the power fails the gas pumps stop. The first killings will be over fuel. Never let your vehicle get below half a tank. Always have enough fuel to get home. Have as much fuel on hand as you can. Remember that gasoline goes bad so use a fuel stabilizer and rotate your stock. If you’re bugging out, have enough fuel to get to your other location even if you have to take detours.

The faucets will run dry a couple of hours after the power fails. Most houses will have less than a week of water on hand, including the hot water tank. The second round of killings will be over water.

Depending on climate/season, people will start dying of thirst within a week. Thirst will drive people to do crazy things, so people will drink any water they find, and dysentery will be widespread. Without clean water and the ability to defend it, you die. Have a water supply and filters/stills to make more clean water. A rainwater collection system is good to have. The first thing you should do when the power goes out is fill your bathtubs. You can never have too much water.

The grocery stores have less than 3 days of food, and they will be looted clean in hours. There will be killing there also, so steer clear. Have as much food stored as you can. “Survival” food isn’t necessary. Regular canned goods are great. Be sure to have high protein/calorie/fat foods. “Healthy” foods tend to have less calories and fat. Get the “unhealthy” stuff. Have a way to cook. I suggest a rocket stove.

Long term the cities will be death zones. If you live in the city, have a plan to get out. No matter how great your stockpile is, you’re going to run out. If you don’t have sustainable options Survive in Place becomes Die in Place.

Don't tell your neighbors you're prepping. Don't make your home a target.

Read about survival. Watch videos about survival. Learn. Prepare. Stockpile. Educate your family. Survive.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 3

"Lights Out" is another book on conditions after an EMP.

Again an EMP burst would have to occur at least apox 50k feet to get the effect and would be detected as to source. Just doesnt make any sense unless dear leader has gone over the edge.

Of course there is nothing that says those bastids in DC wouldn't just nuke everyone to put things on even ground. Trust me those evil sobs in game theory have this one played through.

Darth: I agree with most everything you posted above. Cities vary a lot, some like New York yes but others more spread out may not be as terrible as we might imagine IF you can survive the first two die offs. The guy over at SHTF has a lot of good insight having survived a localized event.

Crap load of variables we cannot predict, and a lot we can. Suggest a heap of prep and prayer.

Edited by Rhodes1968

GUYS,
HERE'S THE BAD NEWS, BEEN WAITING FOR SOMEONE ELSE TO SAY IT; DARTH GETS THE GOLD STAR FOR THE WEEK.

Large scale long term power failure =YEARS IF NOT DECADES economic collapse =ABSOLUTE social collapse.ABSOLUTE Millions will die.90% IN FIRST YEAR.

WHO WILL BE THE FIRST TO STEP IN, TO "HELP" OUT; YOU KNOW, FOR "HUMANITARIAN" REASONS, RUSSIA OR CHINA?

BETTER DEVELOP A TASTE FOR RICE, IMHO, ONLY THE CHINESE HAVE THE POPULATION TO PULL IT OFF.

JESS1344

Nah, 90% in the first year is just insanely pessimistic.

Cities would rapidly empty, without the communications infrastructure to manage logistics. There would not be enough food and water for survival. People would be flooding out into the countryside, ravaging crops and pillaging whatever they could get their hands on.

Plenty of people would die, sure - but not 90%. People will do their damnedest to find resources, and take them by whatever means necessary. Others, who have those resources, will seek to keep them by whatever means necessary.

GUYS,

JESS1344

Nah, 90% in the first year is just insanely pessimistic.

Cities would rapidly empty, without the communications infrastructure to manage logistics. There would not be enough food and water for survival. People would be flooding out into the countryside, ravaging crops and pillaging whatever they could get their hands on.

Plenty of people would die, sure - but not 90%. People will do their damnedest to find resources, and take them by whatever means necessary. Others, who have those resources, will seek to keep them by whatever means necessary.

I agree, the die offs would come in stages and after each there are fewer people chasing resources and each subsequent die off less than the one preceding it. The first two are the real bitches to get through then things begin to stabilize at least somewhat.

This of course assumes global thermonuclear war does not break out as a consequence.

Interesting subject though.

I think global thermonuclear war would suddenly become much more difficult - no satellites.

Therefore no GPS.

Unless we have missiles that can manage with dead reckoning, that might be a moot point.

I'd be a little more worried about nuclear facilities being raided by opportunists who knew it would be next to impossible to bring in backup - especially in places like Pakistan, India and France.

Unless we have missiles that can manage with dead reckoning, that might be a moot point.

Actually, All of our nuclear missiles can navigate by dead reckoning. It's called Inertial Guidance.

Accuracy is classified but it's within a city block at any distance.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 2

Actually, All of our nuclear missiles can navigate by dead reckoning. It's called Inertial Guidance.

Accuracy is classified but it's within a city block at any distance.

It was within 100 yds back in 70s, that was at least what the Russians claimed during Salt talks.

Ive a feeling it was much less.

Edit my bad confused feet with yards. IIRC the only reason for such accuracy was to take out hardened silos and command sites. I do know the yield on the US ICBMs were much reduced in comparison of the Soviets due to being able to put them right on top of their door.

Edited by Rhodes1968

Worry about your neighbors, not the chinese.

When the power fails the gas pumps stop. The first killings will be over fuel. Never let your vehicle get below half a tank. Always have enough fuel to get home. Have as much fuel on hand as you can. Remember that gasoline goes bad so use a fuel stabilizer and rotate your stock. If you’re bugging out, have enough fuel to get to your other location even if you have to take detours.

The faucets will run dry a couple of hours after the power fails. Most houses will have less than a week of water on hand, including the hot water tank. The second round of killings will be over water.

Depending on climate/season, people will start dying of thirst within a week. Thirst will drive people to do crazy things, so people will drink any water they find, and dysentery will be widespread. Without clean water and the ability to defend it, you die. Have a water supply and filters/stills to make more clean water. A rainwater collection system is good to have. The first thing you should do when the power goes out is fill your bathtubs. You can never have too much water.

The grocery stores have less than 3 days of food, and they will be looted clean in hours. There will be killing there also, so steer clear. Have as much food stored as you can. “Survival” food isn’t necessary. Regular canned goods are great. Be sure to have high protein/calorie/fat foods. “Healthy” foods tend to have less calories and fat. Get the “unhealthy” stuff. Have a way to cook. I suggest a rocket stove.

Long term the cities will be death zones. If you live in the city, have a plan to get out. No matter how great your stockpile is, you’re going to run out. If you don’t have sustainable options Survive in Place becomes Die in Place.

Don't tell your neighbors you're prepping. Don't make your home a target.

Read about survival. Watch videos about survival. Learn. Prepare. Stockpile. Educate your family. Survive.

I think this about sums it up.

Its good to have a few days supplies ahead of time rather than to be with all the other fuckwads fighting over shit at stores and gas stations. While others are raiding groceries and fuel, I'll be trying to barter my ass some smokes and liquor. Im glad I started buying and holding on to ammo for guns I dont even have. I dont have far to go from my apartment to my rally point, but I still have a few different routes planned in case some shit like this goes down and I do have to leave.

Bugging out is fine, what if you cant?

Need a Bug-In plan as well and that means six months supplies at a minimum. Damn this is hard with limited resources.

If you have 6 months supplies you can survive 6 months (assuming you can defend your position for 6 months). Same for a year or 2 years. If you want to survive indefinitely you have to have a plan to get someplace where you can sustain. Urban areas won't be sustainable for years.

• Like 2