***Massive solar flare narrowly misses Earth, EMP disaster barely avoi

Bugging out is fine, what if you cant?

Need a Bug-In plan as well and that means six months supplies at a minimum. Damn this is hard with limited resources.

Me personally, I feel there is always a plan for bugging out, as a last resort. I tend to lean towards the aspect of keeping on the move and traveling relatively light. But this is where having knowledge of survival skills will come into play. For many, bugging out may not be a good choice for whatever reason, but eventually will have to be done when supplies are depleted.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WOLVERINES!!!!!!!

Not 100% sure I agree with this. I remember a world without computers and in many ways it was better. Slower pace and more of an opportunity for true craftsmanship and talent to shine.   I also thi

It is in the flawed nature of man to be foolish.   Education and intelligence are the tools of wisdom, they are of no value when misused.

Posted Images

Seen a lot of theory some good, most horrid.

Depends on how the herd reacts, how much grace time pre-event, which city, etc etc etc

Lot of scenarios place those in rural areas with 300 miles of a large city as most exposed of all. Remember the helpful hand of FEMA would be attracted there and all that implies. Who knows?

Plan A

Plan B

Plan C

ARRRG

so big that it could have knocked out power, cars and iPhones throughout the United States.

haha.gifhaha.gif Oh no peoples iPhones won't work! haha.gifhaha.gif

Bring it, the herd has become unmanageable.

Yeah too many people now days have become dependent on tech, and have no means of self sustainability.

Depends on how the herd reacts, how much grace time pre-event, which city, etc etc etc

Lot of scenarios place those in rural areas with 300 miles of a large city as most exposed of all. Remember the helpful hand of FEMA would be attracted there and all that implies. Who knows?

Plan A

Plan B

Plan C

ARRRG

Probably end up being plan 256 Bravo Zulu, as the previous plans had to change for some unforeseen reason. I am out, but still inside that zone to a couple of large cities. Have to make do with what ya got, at least I am not near Chitown or NYC.

All this talk about plans makes me think of a line from the movie Serenity.

"Yeah well what you plan and what takes place ain't ever actually been similar." - Jayne Cobb

Just something to keep in mind when "planning" things. ;)

Edited by Ronin38
  • Like 1

Plan A

Plan B

Plan C

ARRRG

Probably end up being plan 256 Bravo Zulu, as the previous plans had to change for some unforeseen reason. I am out, but still inside that zone to a couple of large cities. Have to make do with what ya got, at least I am not near Chitown or NYC.

No shite, cant imagine what those places would be like.

I dont ever recommend anyone go into details but at least if you plan and prepare switching gears is easier.

No golden ticket but beats having to mug the old lady next door for that can of cat food.

• Like 1

"Yeah well what you plan and what takes place ain't ever actually been similar." - Jayne Cobb

Just something to keep in mind when "planning" things. wink.png

This is where the term Adapt and Overcome will likely apply. cool.png

I'll still take my chances having made plans vs. not having any.

• Like 1

Certain things are constants. No matter what shit hits what fan, you have to drink, eat, sleep, and protect yourself. Focus your planning on those.

I also add move a reasonable distance and communicate to my list.

I divide disasters into 3 phases. Immediate, Transitional, and Sustaining.

The Immediate phase is the hours following the event when chaos rules. My main concern during this phase is to get home, hunker down, and try to figure out what's going on. I need enough fuel to get home, weapons for defense, and a decent comm system to figure out what's going on.

The Transitional phase is the time when people are trying to figure out what to do. There will still be much chaos. During this time I need water, food, transportation, and fuel to reach whatever destination I decide I need to reach. I expect there will be a lull when the immediate panic subsides but the true reality hasn't sunk in yet. That will be when I want to move. Wait too long and factions will form and territories will be staked out and travel will become more dangerous.

The sustaining phase is after things have settled down and the new way of life begins. I don't pretend to know what that will be like but I know I'll still need to drink, eat, sleep, and defend myself and mine. If I can do those things I can adjust to other variables.

• Like 2

I take that quote as a good example to have more than just one plan. :up:

• Like 2

I take that quote as a good example to have more than just one plan. 032.gif

Absolutely. beer.gif

The problem I have with the bug-out is that once on the road you become very vulnerable.

Cant count on .gov remaining inactive or sane. Road blocks make a mess of travel routes.

The larger the area you are leaving the more likely the problems.

But then many of these also apply to the bug-in so .... ARRRG

I kid, no one lives forever do what ya can with what ya gots.

• Like 1

Absolutely. beer.gif

I keep a 10-meter mobile radio in my safe, and I have two more (CBs) in a safe at a friend's house. I have multiple antennas stashed, and could always revert to hanging a wire in a tree if I need to. Communications will be vital to long term survival. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/83261-any-hamcb-operators-here/

• Like 2

GUYS,

AIN'T THIS SOME SHIT..............I WAS MILDLY CURIOUS AS TO WHY I HADN'T GOTTEN SOME KIND OF BUMP FROM SPACEWEATHER.COM ON THIS, AS I'M SIGNED UP TO RECEIVE EMAIL NOTICES ON APPROACHING, SIGNIFICANT, SOLAR EVENTS.

THEY WOULD HAVE SENT OUT SOMETHING ON THIS ALLEGED EVENT, EVEN THOUGH IT WAS TWO WEEKS PAST.

THE EMAIL ALERTS ARE FREE,THERE IS A NOMINAL CHARGE FOR TEXT/VOICE MESSAGES.

SPACE WEATHER FACT CHECK: Many readers are asking about a report in the Washington Examiner, which states that a Carrington-class solar storm narrowly missed Earth two weeks ago. There was no Carrington-class solar storm two weeks ago. On the contrary, solar activity was low throughout the month of July. The report is erroneous. The possibility of such a storm is, however, worth thinking about: A modern Carrington event would cause significant damage to our high-tech society. Solar flare alerts: text, voice.

CLICKING ON THE ABOVE "SIGNIFICANT DAMAGE" LINK WILL PROVIDE A LOT MORE USEFUL INFORMATION.

SO................EVEN THOUGH THIS SOLAR STORM ALLEGEDLY DID NOT HAPPEN, AND SOMEONE(S) AT THE EXAMINER NEEDS A GOOD SPANKING FOR PUTTING THIS ERRONEOUS INFO OUT, IT HAS STIMULATED A GOOD EXCHANGE OF INFO AND IDEAS.

A FEW ADDITIONAL OBSERVATIONS:

PULL UP FLIGHTRADAR24.COM, AND LET THE SCREEN POPULATE; ON THE AVERAGE WEEKDAY, THERE ARE 7500+ TRANSPONDING AIRCRAFT UP OVER THE U.S., FROM A 152 CESSNA TO HEAVY HEAVIES.

BE IT FROM SPACEWEATHER OR A NUKE, WHEN THE PULSE COMES, ALL OF THOSE FOLKS ARE DEAD, EVERYONE ON THE GROUND WHERE THEY CRASH ARE DEAD.

FLY-BY-WIRE IS A BITCH.

EVERYBODY IN EVERY HOSPITAL OPERATING ROOM IS DEAD.

EVERYBODY IN A HOSPITAL ICU, AND ON LIFE SUPPORT IS DEAD.

BETWEEN THE HOP-HEADS TRYING TO GET NARCOTICS FROM THE VAULT, TO AMBULATORY PATIENTS TRYING TO GET THE FUCK OUT, TO THEIR RELATIVES ON FOOT TRYING TO GET THEIR RELATIVES OUT, ALL HOSPITALS WILL BECOME VAST CHARNEL HOUSES.

REMEMBER THE HOSPITALS IN KATRINA?

SAME WITH NURSING/ASSISTED LIVING CENTERS.

THIS WILL BE ALL IT TAKES TO SPARK-OFF THE SIMMERING CITIES, OF ANY SIZE.

THE CITIES, OF ANY SIZE, EXCEPT THE SMALLEST AND MOST CLOSE-KNIT, THEY WILL MAKE STALINGRAD, ON ITS WORST DAY, LACKING THE ARTILLERY AND AIRSTRIKES, LOOK LIKE YOUR GRANDDAUGHTERS PIANO RECITAL.

PEOPLE WHO ARE DEPENDENT ON MEDS TO LIVE, WILL START FLAKING OFF, DIABETICS, VERY HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, AND A JILLION OTHER CONDITIONS, GONE.

PEOPLE ON PSYCHOACTIVE MEDS WILL SPIRAL OUT OF CONTROL.

A WHOLE BUNCH OF PEOPLE, WHEN THEY FINALLY, FULLY, COME TO GRIPS WITH THE ENORMITY OF THEIR SITUATION, WILL SIMPLY CHOOSE SUICIDE, BY WHATEVER MEANS.

FUCK-THEM, MORE FOOD/WATER FOR ME.............

HAVE MOUNTAIN BIKES FOR EVERYONE, WITH THE TOUGHEST TIRES, AND TUBES FILLED WITH THE SELF-SEALING "GREEN SLIME".

"IN THE LAND OF THE BLIND, THE ONE EYED MAN IS KING", AND THAT'S WHAT YOU WILL BE WITH A FUNCTIONING BIKE.

IT WILL ALSO PAINT A GREAT BIG BULLSEYE ON YOUR ASS, AS EVERYONE WILL WANT TO JACK YOUR ASS FOR YOUR RIDE.

IF YOU AND YOURS ARE TRYING TO DI-DI MAU AWAY FROM A BIG CITY, NIGHT TRAVEL, CROSS-COUNTRY MAY BE A USEFUL TACTIC, HENCE THE MOUNTAIN BIKES, WITH TOUGH TIRES.......

IDEALLY, YOU SHOULD BE, AT A MINIMUM, ONE TANK OF GAS AWAY FROM ANY CITY OF SIGNIFICANT SIZE.

IN ALMOST ALL CASES, THAT AIN'T HAPPENING.

USING HOUSTON AS AN EXAMPLE; POPULATION 4.5 MILLION ALLEGEDLY, BUT PROBABLY MUCH LARGER DUE TO THE UNDOCUMENTED POPULATION.

IF E-DAY SHOULD EVER COME, THOSE 4.5 MILLION WILL COME BOILING OUT OF HOUSTON LIKE 4.5 MILLION RABID FUCKING RATS, ON EVERYTHING FROM A 6-LANE FREEWAY TO A FRIGGIN' COW PATH.

THEY WILL BE TAKING WHATEVER THEY PERCEIVE THEY NEED OR WANT, FROM FOOD, WATER AND GAS, TO YOUR 10 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER.............OR SON...........

I'M TO THE SOUTH A WAYS, AND I CAN TELL YOU, PEARLAND, ALVIN, ANGLETON, FREEPORT, PALACIOS, OLD OCEAN, ETC., WON'T EVEN BE SPEEDBUMPS.

THEY WON'T STOP FOR BREATH, TILL THEY'RE HALF-WAY TO CORPUS CHRISTI (WHERE THEY'LL MEET THE FOLKS HEADED UP THE COAST FROM CORPUS).

SAME WAY TO THE WEST TO SAN ANTONE, AND NORTH TO DALLAS/FORT WORTH.

FOOD: VERY QUICKLY, EVERYTHING ON 4 LEGS IS ON THE MENU, FROM GARFEILD, TO LASSIE, TO TRIGGER, HERDS OF CATTLE WILL VANISH INTO COOK POTS, GAME ANIMALS WILL BECOME VIRTUALLY EXTINCT.

YOU'LL NEED A MARINE INFANTRY SQUAD TO WATCH YOUR BACK, WHILE YOU PACK BAMBI'S MOM OR DAD OUT.....

WANT A TRUE STORY MOVIE THAT WILL GIVE YOU A LIGHT TASTE OF WHAT LIFE WILL BECOME, WATCH "DEFIANCE" STARRING DANIEL CRAIG (JAMES BOND).

THESE PEOPLE WERE THE JEWS THAT FLED THE GERMAN FINAL SOLUTION IN BYELORUSSIA, GROUPED TOGETHER TO LIVE ROUGH IN THE FORESTS, FIGHT THE NAZI'S AS PARTISANS, OCCASIONALLY ALLIED WITH USSR FORCES, AND LIVED AND SURVIVED THROUGH FOUR RUSSIAN WINTERS, SPENT IN THE FORESTS, WHILE DOING SO, EVER HOUNDED BY THE NAZI'S.

REPLACEMENT TRANSFORMERS SITTING IN WAREHOUSES DON'T EXIST, AND WE HAVE EXPORTED THE JOBS TO MAKE THEM OVERSEAS.

THESE COUNTRIES WHERE THEY'RE NOW MADE, COULD CONCEIVABLY BE BULLIED INTO NOT PROVIDING THEM.

OOOOPSIE!

AS I'VE BEEN GIVEN TO UNDERSTAND, BY AN ELECTRICAL ENGINEER, TRANSFORMERS ARE BUILT SPECIFICALLY FOR THE SPOT THEY'RE TO OCCUPY, AT THE EXPECTED LOAD, THERE AIN'T NO SUCH THING AS A GENERIC TRANSFORMER; NO PLUG-AND-PLAY.

THESE THINGS TAKE MONTHS TO BUILD, HOW MANY OF THESE HUGE TRANSFORMERS WOULD WE NEED, WORST CASE, FROM BEST FIGURES I'VE BEEN TOLD, 30,000.........

THAT DOESN'T COUNT MILLIONS OF MILES OF POSSIBLY DAMAGED WIRING, AND SCADA BOXES.

HOW LONG TO GET BACK TO WHERE WE ARE TODAY?

IF EVER...........POSSIBLY NOT WITHIN THE LIFESPAN OF ANYONE NOW LIVING (GIVEN THAT THE AVERAGE LIFESPAN WILL PROBABLY BE REDUCED BY 40 YEARS, POST E-DAY).

IF YOU THINK I'M KIDDIN' OR WRONG ON ANY OF THIS, YOU NEED TO DO SOME GOOGLING AROUND ON THE SUBJECT.

OH, ONE LAST THING, YEAH A LOT OF OUR MOST CRITICAL MILITARY GEAR IS "HARDENED", BUT HARDENED TO WHAT LEVEL OF PULSE, IF IT'S A NUKE.

SINCE THE CHI-COMS SEEM TO HAVE HACKED/STOLEN EVERY OTHER CRITICAL PIECE OF INFORMATION, RE: NUKES, ONE HAS TO PRESUME THAT THEY ALSO KNOW TO WHAT DEGREE OUR GEAR IS HARDENED, AND HOW STRONG A PULSE WILL BE REQUIRED TO OVERCOME IT.

SUN TZU LIVES..........

I'LL SHUT-THE-FUCK-UP NOW.

FOR A WHILE ANYWAY.

JESS1344

WOW, I CAN'T UNDERSTAND WHY EVERYONE WOULD NOT BE TOTALLY STOKED TO READ A REDICULOUSLY LONG POST WRITTEN IN ALL CAPS, I MEAN HEY, IT'S NOT LIKE THE GUY CAN JUST PUSH A BUTTON AND MAKE IT STOP YA KNOW. GIVE HIM A BREAK, MAYBE HE WAS JUST BORN DOUCHEY OR SOMETHING.....AFTER ALL, HE'S SPENT TIME LOOKING DOWN A GUNSIGHT AND I AM VERY IMPRESSED BY THAT.

• Like 2

Absolutely. beer.gif

I keep a 10-meter mobile radio in my safe, and I have two more (CBs) in a safe at a friend's house. I have multiple antennas stashed, and could always revert to hanging a wire in a tree if I need to. Communications will be vital to long term survival. http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/83261-any-hamcb-operators-here/

I suddenly remembered that I bought a 300 ft antenna for the trees just before I got my first computer. Back then that was the only way of communicating afar. Now, I have got to get the time to hook up with yall hammers and get my feet wet! Always have wanted to get into it.

I recently picked up a dual band ht. I'm studying for the technician's license. Nothing hard but have to know the regs.

Some say why bother getting the license. I say you're a fool not to. Get the license. Get to know your radio and get to know the hams in your area. When the excrement impacts the ventilator is not the time to be sorting it out. Besides, after teotwawki the hams won't give you the time of day if they don't know you.

SHANDLANOS,

I GUESS ALL THOSE YEARS OF LOOKING AT THE WORLD THROUGH A SET OF GUNSIGHTS MUST HAVE TOUGHENED MY EYES UP.

MMMMMMWWWWHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAA, ETC.

JESS1344;~))

GUYS,

I ONCE SAID THAT TO A YOUNG, WET-BEHIND-THE-YEARS NAVAL EYE DOC, AS HE WAS BENT OVER ME DOING A GLAUCOMA TEST, WHERE THEY PUSH THAT LITTLE THINGIE AGAINST YOUR EYEBALL TO MEASURE THE INTEROCULAR PRESSURE.

HE'D COMMENTED THAT I HAD NEVER BLINKED ONCE, THROUGHOUT THE ENTIRE TEST.

BY WAY OF CONVERSATION, AS HE PREPARED TO DO THE PROCEDURE, HE'D ASKED ME WHAT I DID, AND I TOLD HIM THAT I WAS WITH THE 2ND MAR DIV MARKSMANSHIP TRAINING UNIT, OR MTU FOR SHORT (NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH MOTOR TRANSPORT UNIT!).

I EXPLAINED THAT WE HAD A THREE-FOLD MISSION, FIRST WE CONDUCTED MARKSMANSHIP CLASSES FOR EVERYONE DOING THEIR ANNUAL REQUAL, SECOND, WE WERE COMPETITIVE SHOOTERS IN THE COMPETITION-IN-ARMS PROGRAM, AND THIRD, WE RAN SCOUT SNIPER SCHOOL FOR THE DIVISION.

I NOTED THAT AT THE MENTION OF SNIPERS, HIS EYES BUGGED OUT A LITTLE, AS THOUGH HE'D JUST UNEXPECTEDLY WALKED UP ON SOME EXOTIC LETHAL BEAST.

HE WAS PRETTY QUIET AFTER THAT, UNTIL HE MADE THE COMMENT ABOUT MY NOT BLINKING, AND I GAVE HIM THE LINE ABOUT LOOKING AT THE WORLD THROUGH A SET OF GUNSIGHTS.

I'M PRETTY SURE I HEARD HIM PEE-PEE DOWN HIS LEG A LITTLE BIT, AT THAT POINT.

IT WAS GREAT, I LAUGHED ABOUT IT ALL THE WAY OUT THE SNEADS FERRY GATE, AND BACK TO THE RANGE.

WHEN I GOT BACK TO THE TEAM ROOM, I HAD THE DIVISION AND FORCE TROOPS MTU'S IN STITCHES AT THE TELLING.

JESS1344

Nothing wrong with 0311's. I was a primary 0351 who just happened to have a knack for teaching people to shoot, and being a fair shot myself. Sadly I was never a sniper or had the patience required to do it. Or hell, even the affinity for the ballistics required. My hats off to true snipers everywhere.

• Like 1