***Massive solar flare narrowly misses Earth, EMP disaster barely avoi

Nothing wrong with 0311's. I was a primary 0351 who just happened to have a knack for teaching people to shoot, and being a fair shot myself. Sadly I was never a sniper or had the patience required to do it. Or hell, even the affinity for the ballistics required. My hats off to true snipers everywhere.

I agree. Its all good brother. beer.gif Everyone has a job to do in the Military. I give props to our Snipers. I wanted to do that, or Recon, but would have had to re-enlist to further meet the requirments of either. I opted otherwise. No biggie. It does take skill, and I respect them highly for what they do.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

WOLVERINES!!!!!!!

Not 100% sure I agree with this. I remember a world without computers and in many ways it was better. Slower pace and more of an opportunity for true craftsmanship and talent to shine.   I also thi

It is in the flawed nature of man to be foolish.   Education and intelligence are the tools of wisdom, they are of no value when misused.

Posted Images

post-46614-0-91142900-1375494181_thumb.jpgMy boy is a 0311. That boy loves his 249. He just picked up corporal so he will be trading it in for an A2 or M4 with a 203. He will miss his saw something fierce. My favorite weapon I ever used was the SMAW. When I knocked on your door, it always opened.

Edited by breid
  • Like 2

Hell yeah. Looking back now, I sometimes wish I could commandeer a GE M134 on an AH-6. lol. But I have no regrets of going to SOI or being a boot on the ground. Im glad your boy is carrying on the tradition. beer.gif

Well my first MOS was 2531 (grunt with a radio) but I lateraled to 2841 when I re-upped. I figured it was better to fix radios than hump them.

The Corps taught me to shoot. As they say, every Marine is a rifleman. Plain and simple. Sight alignment, sight picture, breath control, trigger control. No optics back then. But a peep sight is damn accurate if used properly.

Shot well enough to teach others to shoot.

My eyesight was good back then. 20/15. Eyes are crap now. But with optics I don't do too bad.

Edited by Darth Saigus
  • Like 3

TO MY MARINE BROTHERS,

I WAS IN THE LAST TIME FROM 1975-1979, WITH C 1/6. MADE THE '76-'77 MED CRUISE ON THE USS GUAM, LPH-9 (AKA: ENGINE-ENGINE NUMBER 9, AND THE USS GRIM AFTER WE HAD 49 MARINES AND SAILORS KILLED IN BARCELONA HARBOR IN JANUARY '77).

REST HER STEEL SOUL, SHE RESIDES ON THE BOTTOM OF THE ATLANTIC, AFTER BEING USED AS A TARGET SHIP, AND IT TOOK A SURPRISING AMOUNT OF SHELL FIRE TO PUT HER DOWN TOO.

R.I.P. OLD GIRL, AND THE GHOSTS THAT RESIDE IN YOU..........

SPENT A WEEK ON THE USS TRENTON UNDER THE 1/6 S-2 OFFICER, 1ST. LT. HERNANDEZ, WORKING UP A PRESENTATION FOR THE SPANISH MARINES ON THE M-40 SNIPER RIFLE, WHICH WE DID ON THE BEACH AT CARBONERAS SPAIN.

FRANCISCO FRANCO HAD RECENTLY DIED, AND KING JUAN CARLOS WAS TRYING TO GET SPAIN TURNED AROUND FROM FRANCO'S DICTATORSHIP, TO A DEMOCRACY, AND WE WERE TRYING TO ENTICE THE KING INTO JOINING NATO, HENCE THE DOG AND PONY SHOW ON THE BEACH, WITH SOME OF OUR NEATEST TOYS.

MADE AN INTERESTING LITTLE SIDE TRIP TO MOMBASA, KENYA TO KICK THE MED FLOAT OFF; 30 DAYS, NON-STOP FROM NORFOLK TO MOMBASA, KENYA, EXCEPT FOR AN OVERNIGHT IN PORT SAID (NO TRAFFIC IN THE SUEZ AFTER DARK).

WIDE OPEN THROTTLE, AT JUST UNDER 19KTS.

RAN OVER A WHALE ONE NIGHT, HALF-WAY ACROSS THE ATLANTIC.

SHOT IN COMPETITION IN '76, PRE MED FLOAT, SPRING INTERMURALS (WINNING TEAM), EASTERN DIVISION MATCH, MARINE CORPS MATCH, THEN FALL INTERMURALS, FOUL-WEATHER MATCH, THEN SNIPER SCHOOL (2ND OVERALL, FIRST ON MOVING TARGETS).

USED THE ORIGINAL WOODEN STOCKED M-40 REMINGTON 700'S WITH THE GREEN ACCU-RANGE REDFIELDS (JUNK, BY THAT TIME, A YARD OF SLACK FROM CONSTANT W&E ADJUSTMENTS. ZERO 'EM POA-POI AT 600YDS; ANY CLOSER, HOLD LOW, ANY FURTHER, HOLD HIGH).

I WAS THE LAST ONE TO CARRY AN M-40 TO THE MED, ALL AFTER ME HAD THE M-40A1'S, STILL WITH THE GREEN REDFIELDS; THE 10X UNERTLS WERE A WAYS OFF YET.

NO "HOGS-TOOTH" STUFF BACK THEN, THAT WAS FAR IN THE FUTURE.

SERVED AND SHOT WITH COL. NORMAN CHANDLER OF IRON BRIGADE ARMORY AND "DEATH FROM AFAR" FAME.

A COUPLE OF PICS OF ME IN CHANDLERS BOOK V IN THE DEATH FROM AFAR SERIES (PG. 197).

ANOTHER PIC ON PG 153 IS OF THE ORIGINAL "DEATH FROM AFAR" DRAWING THAT WAS COMMISSIONED BY THE 2ND MAR DIV MTU OIC, 1ST. LT. MICHAEL J. RONNER.

I WAS THE ONE THAT THOUGHT UP THE DEATH FROM AFAR PHRASE (I HAVE WITNESSES).

IT HADN'T BEEN VERY LONG SINCE THE AIRBORNE, JUST DOWN THE ROAD AT FT. BRAGG, HAD COME UP WITH THE 'DEATH FROM ABOVE" MOTTO, AND I WAS TRYING TO THINK UP SOMETHING TO KINDA GIVE IT BACK TO 'EM IN A FRIENDLY INTERSERVICE RIVALRY WAY.

WE HAD JUST RECENTLY GOTTEN ORDERS FROM HQMC, TO STAND UP A SNIPER SCHOOL, AT THE DIVISION LEVEL, AND ONE AFTERNOON, WHILE WALKING FROM THE TEAM ROOM TO THE CHOW HALL, THE CONNECTION WAS MADE, AND IT WENT THROUGH MY BRAIN LIKE A LIGHTNING BOLT.

OF COURSE...............AND A DOUBLE WHAMMY, ONE, A MOTTO FOR THE SCOUT-SNIPERS, AND TWO, A FRIENDLY ELBOW IN THE RIBS TO THEM AIRBORNE GUYS DOWN THE ROAD.

I WENT TO OUR MAINSIDE OFFICE AND PROPOSED THE DESIGN FOR THE BIG RED AND GOLD SIGN THAT IS PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED IN FRONT OF EVERY MARINE UNIT'S AREA, AND LT. RONNER WAS ENTHUSIASTIC.

HE SAID "HELL, I EVEN KNOW SOMEONE THAT CAN DRAW THIS UP", AND HE DID.

WE WORKED DIRECTLY UNDER DIVISION G-3, AND LT. RONNER TOOK THE PROPOSAL AND DRAWING UP TO G-3 FOR THEIR PERUSAL.

BEING THE BUNCH OF POLITICALLY CORRECT FAIRIES THAT THEY WERE, AND THE SNIPERS STILL LOOKED UPON AS PROFESSIONAL MURDERERS AT THAT POINT IN TIME, THE VERY THOUGHT OF A BIG WHITE SKULL WITH A BULLET HOLE IN IT, GAVE THEM A CASE OF THE VAPORS AND FLUTTERS AND WAS RESOUNDINGLY TURNED DOWN.

THOROUGHLY DISGUSTED, LT. RONNER RETURNED FROM THE PUZZLE PALACE WITH THE BAD NEWS, AND GAVE ME THE ORIGINAL DFA DRAWING AS A MOMENTO, WITH THE WORDS OF "SOMEDAY".

IT, AND BOOK V ARE BESIDE ME AS I TYPE THIS.

THERE'S PICTURES OF, AND MENTION OF OTHER THINGS I SENT THE COLONEL FOR BOOK V, SCATTERED HERE AND THERE.

AH-WELL, ANCIENT HISTORY THAT NO ONE KNOWS OR CARES ABOUT, MOVE ALONG, MOVE ALONG.....

TO BACK UP A BIT, WHEN WE GOT BACK FROM THE MED, IN MAY'77, I USED MY PROVEN EXPERTISE AS A SHOOTER, AND THE FRIENDS I'D MADE AT DIVISION MTU, (THANK YOU GUNNY CASTRO, A FELLOW TEXAN, FOR YOUR GOOD WORD) TO FINAGLE A TRANSFER TO DIVISION MTU.

PICKED UP THE SECONDARY MOS OF 8531 MARKSMANSHIP INSTRUCTOR AFTER A FEW MONTHS.

AS TO THE 0351, AT THAT POINT IN TIME, THE '51'S WERE LIKE THE BASTARD STEP-CHILDREN OF THE INFANTRY.

HQMC, IN THEIR INFINITE WISDOM, HAD JUST RECENTLY DISCONTINUED THE 51'S TRADITIONAL THREE MAIN WEAPONS, THE 3.5" BAZOOKA, THE FLAME THROWER, AND THE 106MM RECOILESS RIFLE, THOUGH WE DID TRAIN ON AND SHOOT THE 106.

THAT LEFT US WITH THE LIMP-DICK FUCKING 66MM LAAW ROCKET, AND AN ABORTION CALLED THE M-202, WHICH WAS LIKE A 4-SHOT LAAW IN A RECTANGULAR PLASTIC BODY.

IT WAS LATER PROVEN THAT THE "FLAME" WARHEAD ON THE M-202 WAS A FRAUD. IT WAS DISCOVERED THAT THE "TEST" BY THE MFG. WAS RIGGED FOR THE OBSERVERS, AND THAT THE "BUNKER" THAT WAS SHOT AND SUBSEQUENTLY DESTROYED BY THE M-202 WAS CONSTRUCTED OF FLAMMABLE MATERIAL, NOT CONCRETE.

WE NEVER FIRED THE 202, BECAUSE SOME POOR BASTARD HAD FIRED ONE, IN ITS EARLY DAYS IN THE FLEET, AND ALL FOUR WARHEADS HAD GONE OFF ON THIS KIDS SHOULDER AT THE MOMENT OF FIRING.

THEY WERE HARD PUT TO FIND ENOUGH TO PUT IN A SHOEBOX..............SEMPER FI.....

BUT WE STILL HAD TO DRAG THAT AWKWARD SOB TO THE FIELD WITH US, ALONG WITH AN EMPTY LAAW TUBE OR TWO.

BEST USE IF IT, WAS TO FILL THE FOUR TUBES WITH SODA-POP CANS THOUGH THAT MADE IT TWICE AS HEAVY.

IT GOT HANDED OFF QUITE OFTEN...........

SO, MOST OF THE TIME, WE WERE USED AS "AUXILLARY" INFANTRY, USING OUR M-16'S.

THE MARINE CORPS STARTED GETTING TOW MISSILES DURING OUR WORK-UP FOR THE MED, IN '76, BUT THEY WERE IN HEADQUARTERS COMPANY, AND WE HAD JUST STARTED GETTING DRAGONS, ALSO AS A SEPARATE PLATOON, AS I TRANSFERRED TO MTU.

ALL THIS OTHER FANCY STUFF; CARL GUSTAF'S, SMAWS, ETC., WAS DECADES AWAY.

AND YEAH, I'M ONE OF THOSE 20/15'S, THAT IS NOW 20/WTF?

THAT SHIT, AND GLASSES, SUCK THE WORST OF ALL, OVER ALL THE ACHES AND PAIN.....

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344

Can you fuckin imagine the Walmartians trying to make change without the register not telling them how much to give back???

I can't imagine that they would be capable of doing anything. Workers couldn't get in, doors wouldn't open, they couldn't calculate sales tax unless they have couple calculators survive

Large scale long term power failure = economic collapse = social collapse. Millions will die.

See signature.

Agreed. Be it a tactical device activated in the upper atmosphere, or an flare from our beloved star, EMP just seems like an inevitability. The sad thing is that business can't get by without computers these days. Even our prisons are extremely dependent on electricity to keep the cells locked.

This is exactly why I bought a Saiga: in the event of violent upheaval, I'm one man without a large group of likeminded individuals. So, the Saiga is my force multiplier for when the Burlington, Colorado prison 60 miles away empties out. Hopefully I'd have a couple days before they manage to walk my way.

Question: would an all steel storage building, that doesn't have fiberglass panels for lighting, shield well enough to serve as a Faraday cage?

Edited by slippingaway

TO MY MARINE BROTHERS,

I WAS IN THE LAST TIME FROM 1975-1979, WITH C 1/6. MADE THE '76-'77 MED CRUISE ON THE USS GUAM, LPH-9 (AKA: ENGINE-ENGINE NUMBER 9, AND THE USS GRIM AFTER WE HAD 49 MARINES AND SAILORS KILLED IN BARCELONA HARBOR IN JANUARY '77).

REST HER STEEL SOUL, SHE RESIDES ON THE BOTTOM OF THE ATLANTIC, AFTER BEING USED AS A TARGET SHIP, AND IT TOOK A SURPRISING AMOUNT OF SHELL FIRE TO PUT HER DOWN TOO.

R.I.P. OLD GIRL, AND THE GHOSTS THAT RESIDE IN YOU..........

SPENT A WEEK ON THE USS TRENTON UNDER THE 1/6 S-2 OFFICER, 1ST. LT. HERNANDEZ, WORKING UP A PRESENTATION FOR THE SPANISH MARINES ON THE M-40 SNIPER RIFLE, WHICH WE DID ON THE BEACH AT CARBONERAS SPAIN.

FRANCISCO FRANCO HAD RECENTLY DIED, AND KING JUAN CARLOS WAS TRYING TO GET SPAIN TURNED AROUND FROM FRANCO'S DICTATORSHIP, TO A DEMOCRACY, AND WE WERE TRYING TO ENTICE THE KING INTO JOINING NATO, HENCE THE DOG AND PONY SHOW ON THE BEACH, WITH SOME OF OUR NEATEST TOYS.

MADE AN INTERESTING LITTLE SIDE TRIP TO MOMBASA, KENYA TO KICK THE MED FLOAT OFF; 30 DAYS, NON-STOP FROM NORFOLK TO MOMBASA, KENYA, EXCEPT FOR AN OVERNIGHT IN PORT SAID (NO TRAFFIC IN THE SUEZ AFTER DARK).

WIDE OPEN THROTTLE, AT JUST UNDER 19KTS.

RAN OVER A WHALE ONE NIGHT, HALF-WAY ACROSS THE ATLANTIC.

SHOT IN COMPETITION IN '76, PRE MED FLOAT, SPRING INTERMURALS (WINNING TEAM), EASTERN DIVISION MATCH, MARINE CORPS MATCH, THEN FALL INTERMURALS, FOUL-WEATHER MATCH, THEN SNIPER SCHOOL (2ND OVERALL, FIRST ON MOVING TARGETS).

USED THE ORIGINAL WOODEN STOCKED M-40 REMINGTON 700'S WITH THE GREEN ACCU-RANGE REDFIELDS (JUNK, BY THAT TIME, A YARD OF SLACK FROM CONSTANT W&E ADJUSTMENTS. ZERO 'EM POA-POI AT 600YDS; AND CLOSER, HOLD LOW, ANY FURTHER, HOLD HIGH).

I WAS THE LAST ONE TO CARRY AN M-40 TO THE MED, ALL AFTER ME HAD THE M-40A1'S, STILL WITH THE GREEN REDFIELDS; THE 10X UNERTLS WERE A WAYS OFF YET.

NO "HOGS-TOOTH" STUFF BACK THEN, THAT WAS FAR IN THE FUTURE.

SERVED AND SHOT WITH COL. NORMAN CHANDLER OF IRON BRIGADE ARMORY AND "DEATH FROM AFAR" FAME.

A COUPLE OF PICS OF ME IN CHANDLERS BOOK V IN THE DEATH FROM AFAR SERIES (PG. 197).

ANOTHER PIC ON PG 153 IS OF THE ORIGINAL "DEATH FROM AFAR" DRAWING THAT WAS COMMISSIONED BY THE 2ND MAR DIV MTU OIC, 1ST. LT. MICHAEL J. RONNER.

I WAS THE ONE THAT THOUGHT UP THE DEATH FROM AFAR PHRASE (I HAVE WITNESSES).

IT HADN'T BEEN VERY LONG SINCE THE AIRBORNE, JUST DOWN THE ROAD AT FT. BRAGG, HAD COME UP WITH THE 'DEATH FROM ABOVE" MOTTO, AND I WAS TRYING TO THINK UP SOMETHING TO KINDA GIVE IT BACK TO 'EM IN A FRIENDLY INTERSERVICE RIVALRY WAY.

WE HAD JUST RECENTLY GOTTEN ORDERS FROM HQMC, TO STAND UP A SNIPER SCHOOL, AT THE DIVISION LEVEL, AND ONE AFTERNOON, WHILE WALKING FROM THE TEAM ROOM TO THE CHOW HALL, THE CONNECTION WAS MADE, AND IT WENT THROUGH MY BRAIN LIKE A LIGHTNING BOLT.

OF COURSE...............AND A DOUBLE WHAMMY, ONE, A MOTTO FOR THE SCOUT-SNIPERS, AND TWO, A FRIENDLY ELBOW IN THE RIBS TO THEM AIRBORNE GUYS DOWN THE ROAD.

I WENT TO OUR MAINSIDE OFFICE AND PROPOSED THE DESIGN FOR THE BIG RED AND GOLD SIGN THAT IS PROMINENTLY DISPLAYED IN FRONT OF EVERY MARINE UNIT'S AREA, AND LT. RONNER WAS ENTHUSIASTIC.

HE SAID "HELL, I EVEN KNOW SOMEONE THAT CAN DRAW THIS UP", AND HE DID.

WE WORKED DIRECTLY UNDER DIVISION G-3, AND LT. RONNER TOOK THE PROPOSAL AND DRAWING UP TO G-3 FOR THEIR PERUSAL.

BEING THE BUNCH OF POLITICALLY CORRECT FAIRIES THAT THEY WERE, AND THE SNIPERS STILL LOOKED UPON AS PROFESSIONAL MURDERERS AT THAT POINT IN TIME, THE VERY THOUGHT OF A BIG WHITE SKULL WITH A BULLET HOLE IN IT, GAVE THEM A CASE OF THE VAPORS AND FLUTTERS AND WAS RESOUNDINGLY TURNED DOWN.

THOROUGHLY DISGUSTED, LT. RONNER RETURNED FROM THE PUZZLE PALACE WITH THE BAD NEWS, AND GAVE ME THE ORIGINAL DFA DRAWING AS A MOMENTO, WITH THE WORDS OF "SOMEDAY".

IT, AND BOOK V ARE BESIDE ME AS I TYPE THIS.

THERE'S PICTURES OF, AND MENTION OF OTHER THINGS I SENT THE COLONEL FOR BOOK V, SCATTERED HERE AND THERE.

AH-WELL, ANCIENT HISTORY THAT NO ONE KNOWS OR CARES ABOUT, MOVE ALONG, MOVE ALONG.....

TO BACK UP A BIT, WHEN WE GOT BACK FROM THE MED, IN MAY'77, I USED MY PROVEN EXPERTISE AS A SHOOTER, AND THE FRIENDS I'D MADE AT DIVISION MTU, (THANK YOU GUNNY CASTRO, A FELLOW TEXAN, FOR YOUR GOOD WORD) TO FINAGLE A TRANSFER TO DIVISION MTU.

PICKED UP THE SECONDARY MOS OF 8531 MARKSMANSHIP INSTRUCTOR AFTER A FEW MONTHS.

AS TO THE 0351, AT THAT POINT IN TIME, THE '51'S WERE LIKE THE BASTARD STEP-CHILDREN OF THE INFANTRY.

HQMC, IN THEIR INFINITE WISDOM, HAD JUST RECENTLY DISCONTINUED THE 51'S TRADITIONAL THREE MAIN WEAPONS, THE 3.5" BAZOOKA, THE FLAME THROWER, AND THE 106MM RECOILESS RIFLE, THOUGH WE DID TRAIN ON AND SHOOT THE 106.

THAT LEFT US WITH THE LIMP-DICK FUCKING 66MM LAAW ROCKET, AND AN ABORTION CALLED THE M-202, WHICH WAS LIKE A 4-SHOT LAAW IN A RECTANGULAR PLASTIC BODY.

IT WAS LATER PROVEN THAT THE "FLAME" WARHEAD ON THE M-202 WAS A FRAUD. IT WAS DISCOVERED THAT THE "TEST" BY THE MFG. WAS RIGGED FOR THE OBSERVERS, AND THAT THE "BUNKER" THAT WAS SHOT AND SUBSEQUENTLY DESTROYED BY THE M-202 WAS CONSTRUCTED OF FLAMMABLE MATERIAL, NOT CONCRETE.

WE NEVER FIRED THE 202, BECAUSE SOME POOR BASTARD HAD FIRED ONE, IN ITS EARLY DAYS IN THE FLEET, AND ALL FOUR WARHEADS HAD GONE OFF ON THIS KIDS SHOULDER AT THE MOMENT OF FIRING.

THEY WERE HARD PUT TO FIND ENOUGH TO PUT IN A SHOEBOX..............SEMPER FI.....

BUT WE STILL HAD TO DRAG THAT AWKWARD SOB TO THE FIELD WITH US, ALONG WITH AN EMPTY LAAW TUBE OR TWO.

BEST USE IF IT, WAS TO FILL THE FOUR TUBES WITH SODA-POP CANS THOUGH THAT MADE IT TWICE AS HEAVY.

IT GOT HANDED OFF QUITE OFTEN...........

SO, MOST OF THE TIME, WE WERE USED AS "AUXILLARY" INFANTRY, USING OUR M-16'S.

THE MARINE CORPS STARTED GETTING TOW MISSILES DURING OUR WORK-UP FOR THE MED, IN '76, BUT THEY WERE IN HEADQUARTERS COMPANY, AND WE HAD JUST STARTED GETTING DRAGONS, ALSO AS A SEPARATE PLATOON, AS I TRANSFERRED TO MTU.

ALL THIS OTHER FANCY STUFF; CARL GUSTAF'S, SMAWS, ETC., WAS DECADES AWAY.

AND YEAH, I'M ONE OF THOSE 20/15'S, THAT IS NOW 20/WTF?

THAT SHIT, AND GLASSES, SUCK THE WORST OF ALL, OVER ALL THE ACHES AND PAIN.....

JESS1344

What sign are you referring to? The Old School Chicken on the beach ball? Not sure I follow you. That's the only real Marine Logo I know, with the exception of certain unit specific logos.

Can you fuckin imagine the Walmartians trying to make change without the register not telling them how much to give back???

I can't imagine that they would be capable of doing anything. Workers couldn't get in, doors wouldn't open, they couldn't calculate sales tax unless they have couple calculators survive

Large scale long term power failure = economic collapse = social collapse. Millions will die.

See signature.

Agreed. Be it a tactical device activated in the upper atmosphere, or an flare from our beloved star, EMP just seems like an inevitability. The sad thing is that business can't get by without computers these days. Even our prisons are extremely dependent on electricity to keep the cells locked.

This is exactly why I bought a Saiga: in the event of violent upheaval, I'm one man without a large group of likeminded individuals. So, the Saiga is my force multiplier for when the Limon, Colorado prison 60 miles away empties out. Hopefully I'd have a couple days before they manage to walk my way.

Question: would an all steel storage building, that doesn't have fiberglass panels for lighting, shield well enough to serve as a Faraday cage?

EMP is not simple subject and the answers to most EMP questions is Yes, No, and Maybe.

http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1549/1

http://www.futurescience.com/emp/emp-protection.html

http://electro-magneticpulse.com/?p=107

• Like 2

Not sure what mine were rated but I could spot a cop a mile off...

Aint it grand to still be around to bitch about getting old.

It sure is brother, it sure is. Got a couple of X-wives that wish it would have turned out different though laugh.png

I stay to spite them rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

BREID

"...with the exception of certain unit specific logos."

PERZACTLY, MY FRIEND, JUST LIKE THE BIG RED AND GOLD "2ND MARINE DIVISION MARKSMANSHIP TRAINING UNIT" SIGN, THAT WE HAD IN FRONT OF OUR MAINSIDE OFFICE, WHICH WAS JUST OFF THE TRAFFIC CIRCLE AND WAS BEHIND AND ACROSS THE STREET FROM THE NCO CLUB.

THE LT. AND I WERE TRYING TO DECIDE IF THIS SHOULD BE A DOUBLE-DECKER SIGN, ONE ABOVE THE OTHER, OR TURNED 90 DEGRESS TO FACE THE ROAD AND HAVE THEM SIDE-BY-SIDE, WHEN THE DIVISION G-3 PUKES DROVE A SPIKE THROUGH IT'S HEART.

JESS1344

Edited by JESS1344

See signature.

This is exactly why I bought a Saiga: in the event of violent upheaval, I'm one man without a large group of likeminded individuals. So, the Saiga is my force multiplier for when the Limon, Colorado prison 60 miles away empties out. Hopefully I'd have a couple days before they manage to walk my way.

EMP is not simple subject and the answers to most EMP questions is Yes, No, and Maybe.

Thanks for the links. the one from thespacereview.com is very informative. I guess I'll read through all of these and discern my conclusions. I guess the answer is in having insulated layers to protect

See signature.

Thanks for the links. the one from thespacereview.com is very informative. I guess I'll read through all of these and discern my conclusions. I guess the answer is in having insulated layers to protect

The short answer is probably not.

An EMP from a CME would be insanely powerful - last time it happened, it melted telegraph lines. Pretty sure our power infrastructure would be fucked for a long time to come. I have no idea how we "harden" some of our facilities and aircraft against EMPs, and I'm guessing what that really means is, "if this plane is in the air when a nuclear weapon is detonated within (some defined distance and yield), our systems will remain intact". No way is it a cheat code for invulnerability.

Edited by Shandlanos
  • Like 1

What strikes me is how little is really known of the effects of the two sources of EMP.

It's all really just theory gained from nuke testing which has been suspended, some small solar events in recent times, and what is presumed from the 1859 event. Had it hit 20 years earlier before telegraph all we would have known for sure is there were some pretty lights in the sky and nothing about the drastic effects possible through induction into transmission lines.

As for nukes the only rational reason is as a prelude to a strike, of course reason is going extinct so there is that.

What little is known for sure is enough to know one day all this is going away unless that grid is prepared.

In the case of a solar event then a new race begins, who gets back online first? Winner rules the world IMHO.

Answer: It may shield some of it but not all, and depends on how well the building is grounded. Solar flares probably would be the easiest to shield, as they're just massive high voltage power surges. Nuclear weapon and EMP bombs are not just a power surge, but high frequency as well. The higher frequencies are harder to guard against. They can get in through the smallest holes in your Faraday cage. The higher the frequency, the smaller the hole it can penetrate. Try putting your cell phone in your safe, and then call it and see if it rings. It probably will!!! If it does, an E-bomb will trash any electronics stored there.

• Like 1

Them fuken boy scouts ruined my life with all of that be prepared shit rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gif

+1 me too. It's the main thing that I took away from it. What does it hurt to say, have some ammo stored, some canned goods in excess, and a communication plan set up?

I have a cheap tablet loaded with ebooks and a solar battery charger just big enough to charge it, plus a couple of hardbound SAS survival manual and a book on local edible plants, that resides in my BOB. I don't like relying on tech, but I don't want to even fathom the weight of more than a few books, when I'm measuring against usefulness in my pack by the ounce.

Ya,all can worry about something you have no possibility of controlling when it happens. I'll choose not to.

Fair enough, worrying doesn't solve anything. Preparing for it so you don't have to worry later has it's benefits though. Peace of mind that you are loaded for bear and ready come-what-may, relieves a lot of the fear that I was plagued with for years before I started moving down the prepper path.

Controlled like Katrina, Irene,.... The Alaskan fires???

I agree. My buddy down the street was and still is a prepper. We did not live in an area that was ever known to flood. He was well stocked and ready. 25 plus feet of water put an end to all that right quick and in a hurry. Camile was the bench mark that everyone on the gulf coast in the gulfport/biloxi/Pass Christian weighed hurricanes against. Katrina put Camile to shame. Period. Bottom line, prepare for what you can, some shit you can't period. No sense worrying your self sick over crazy shit.

You can not be ready enough for some of the shit sandwich's that mother nature serves you. Sometimes you just gotta take a bite like everyone else. Mother nature is the great equalizer. She could give two shits if you prep or not. You can not control her. She is one ruthless bitch.

Edited by breid
  • Like 1

Make it a OH-58 and you got my old ride! My 58's came to my unit when my father commanded it, and left when I was a crewchief in it.

Umm, ok, what does an Obsevation Helicopter (OH-58) have to do with an Attack Helicopter (AH-6) besides being kind of close in size?

Make it a OH-58 and you got my old ride! My 58's came to my unit when my father commanded it, and left when I was a crewchief in it.

Umm, ok, what does an Obsevation Helicopter (OH-58) have to do with an Attack Helicopter (AH-6) besides being kind of close in size?

I think there was a version that was armed wasnt there? I may be wrong though. Either way I love me some AH-6's.

I agree. My buddy down the street was and still is a prepper. We did not live in an area that was ever known to flood. He was well stocked and ready. 25 plus feet of water put an end to all that right quick and in a hurry. Camile was the bench mark that everyone on the gulf coast in the gulfport/biloxi/Pass Christian weighed hurricanes against. Katrina put Camile to shame. Period. Bottom line, prepare for what you can, some shit you can't period. No sense worrying your self sick over crazy shit.

You can not be ready enough for some of the shit sandwich's that mother nature serves you. Sometimes you just gotta take a bite like everyone else. Mother nature is the great equalizer. She could give two shits if you prep or not. You can not control her. She is one ruthless bitch.

We ALL had two days notice that the motherfu**** of all storms was bearing down, Saturday early the winds hit 175 mph and headed for the redneck riviera.

If he didnt get his shit in order in that length of time then preping aint his problem.

Not like they sneak up and say boo after all.

We ALL had two days notice that the motherfu**** of all storms was bearing down, Saturday early the winds hit 175 mph and headed for the redneck riviera.

If he didnt get his shit in order in that length of time then preping aint his problem.

Not like they sneak up and say boo after all.

Mount St. Helens, Earthquakes, mud slides, sink holes? http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2013/05/04/eruption-alaskas-volcano/2136169/ We know that's happening, too. It couldn't possible go kaboom and get worse? Geez, no one would expect that. The point is NO ONE is ready for everything and some things you can not be in charge of.