Ace push-button folding mechanism, old vs new.

BELLOC,

I MAY STAND CORRECTED, BUT I DON'T BELIEVE THAT THE SIDE BUTTON IS AN ACE.

I JUST CHECKED THEIR W-SITE AND IN THE PUSH BUTTON CATEGORY, THERE IS ONLY THE MORE CENTERED VERSION, AS IT ALWAYS HAS BEEN, TO MY KNOWLEDGE.

I GOT A COUPLE OF THESE FROM CSS LAST YEAR, WHILE MODIFYING A COUPLE OF 'X54R VEPERS, THINKING THEY WERE THE ACE PIECE, AND THEY APPARENTLY AREN'T.

THE "MADE IN THE USA" IS IN THE SAME SCRIPT AS THE ACE, BUT NOWHERE DOES IT SAY ACE.

I DO NOT LIKE THESE THINGS, AS THEY ARE LOOSER WHEN LOCKED OPEN THAN THE ACE.

YES, THEY DO HAVE A COUPLE OF ALLEN SCREWS TO TRY TO ADJUST OUT THE SLACK, BUT THEY JUST DON'T CUT IT.

I'VE ALREADY PUT ONE ON MY'X45R VEPR, SO I'LL JUST EAT THAT ONE, AND GET A TRUE ACE PIECE FOR MY BUD'S 'X54R VEPR, WHEN I HAVE A SPARE MOMENT.

THE ONLY REASON THAT I USED IT, WAS THAT ACE WAS BACKORDERED ON THEIR PUSH BUTTON VERSION, AND HAD BEEN FOR A WHILE.

LOOKING AT THEIR W-SITE, THEY SEEM TO BE IN STOCK AT THIS TIME.

I NEED TO HAVE A CHAT WITH GREGG AT CSS ABOUT A REFUND ON THE UNUSED ONE I HAVE, OR A SWAP FOR AN ACE PIECE.

AMONG THE OTHER HUNDRED THINGS I HAVE TO DO......

JESS1344

jess is right , it isn't a ACE made folding stock mechanism, but a "ACE style" one, and is erroneous called a ACE folding stock mechanism, because it looks very, very, very similar to a real ACE one, so people believe that ACE made it.

that folding mechanism is made by DPH ARMS

http://dpharms.com/products/ak-47_furniture/folding_stock_hinge_for_ace_stocks.html

and as Paul Harvey use to say; and now you know the rest of the story............good day. biggrin.png

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 2

Thanks for the replies, and that might not be a pic of an Ace mechanism, (my bad if that is the case) but it is still a copy of the old Ace style.

The pic below is in fact the old Ace push-button folding mechanism. I know this for a fact because I have two that I purchased from Ace many years ago. But I recently noticed the change in design and was wondering if anyone knew the reason for the change.

l3k5.jpg

I'd guess that Ace changed the style of their push button mechanism because people had problems with them working loose. I have a couple of the ones from CSS and they seem to be an improvement over the original ACE style in that they have two adjustment set screws instead of one, and they are poly tipped instead of metal on metal. You can adjust almost all of the slop out of them using the two screws; it's a PITA and takes some trial and error, but it can be done.

I would like to try the new style of Ace push button mechanism and see how it compares to the CSS (or DPH, if that's who actually makes it) version. I think if you want a push button mechanism a little slop is probably part of the price of that. I found it to be worth it because the lockup is more reliable than the spring load type mechanism, which I found tends to unlock under 12 gauge recoil. A little looseness is better than an auto-folding stock.

I have an old ace and the pivot is the button. They moved the button to the middle to reduce the mechanical bind that can be created by uneven force. Also it allows the axle bolt to be a closer fit since it only needs to pivot, not slide smoothly. This reduces freeplay. CSS has one made that is very similar to the old Ace, except it has an additional set screw to adjust slack.

• Like 1

GUYS,

I'VE GOT A FER-REAL ACE PUSH BUTTON HINGE CONNECTING AN ACE SKELETON TO AN S-410, AND IT'S TIGHTER-'N WHALE PUSSY (AND THAT'S WATER TIGHT), BUT NOT BINDING.

IT'S STACKED WITH A BOSSETECH SWIVEL, SO THAT YOU MAY CLOSE THE SIDE FOLDER AND HAVE THE BUTT CLEAR A DRUM, ALSO WORKS ON THE RIFLES WITH THE 75RND DRUM, BTW.

DON'T LIKE THE POLY-TIPPED ADJUSTMENT SCREWS, AS THEY SEEM TO KEEP GETTING FLATTENED OUT, REQUIRING A BIT MORE ADJUSTMENT.

AFTER ABOUT THE THIRD OR FOURTH ROUND OF THAT, ONE IS SORELY TEMPTED TO SAY NAUGHTY THINGS ABOUT SOMEONES ANCESTRY, PARTICULARLY WHEN YOU'VE LOCTITED THEM IN..........

ALSO HAVE GENUINE ACE FRICTION FOLDERS ON SOME OTHERS, WHICH IS WHAT I STARTED OFF WITH; WISH NOW I'D GOTTEN THE PUSH BUTTON TYPE (ACE) FROM THE GIT.

JESS1344

• 2 months later...

jess is right , it isn't a ACE made folding stock mechanism, but a "ACE style" one, and is erroneous called a ACE folding stock mechanism, because it looks very, very,  very similar to a real  ACE one, so people believe that ACE made it.

that folding mechanism is made by DPH ARMS

http://dpharms.com/products/ak-47_furniture/folding_stock_hinge_for_ace_stocks.html

and as Paul Harvey use to say; and now you know the rest of the story............good day. biggrin.png

Just to clear up something......we do not make a push button style hinge as of yet. I do not know who is making the folding hinge that is pictured above. The design that we had for a "new and better" hinge was given to one of the shops that used to make our parts. Due to some "ideological differences" in how to run a business with integrity.......we decided to move on and find another shop to produce our parts. Since we left that shop.......they have since taken the liberty to claim our idea as their design and are marketing it through one of our competitors.

So again, I do not know who is making the above hinge  but it isn't us.

Scott