Narrowing down my gun safe choices down to 2.

After doing some research, I'm leaning towards a Liberty safe, the Revere model to be exact. Then, the Winchester Ranger caught my attention, only because for the same dimensions, the Winchester is 100lbs heavier. I read somewhere that some, not all, Winchester safes are being imported from China. Feel free to add your input. Thanks in advance.

Liberty gets my vote every time...

+1

My advice is to buy a safe you can grow into. IMO it would be a drag to have a safe chocked full of valuables and then still have other things you want to lock up and can't. I financed mine and I needed another payment like I need another hole in the head but I don't regret it.

I am in the same situation kinda. Right now on-going research is being conducted including talking to ex real deal Green Berets and Navy Seals and when I express my wanna be security concerns regarding firearms, they just look at me and laugh. Then....as a demo, one of them within 20 minutes cracked the big gun safe at the gun store. Yep! But...he used to work there, but new safe combination.

There is security and there is security. My feeble point here is that no matter what you decide to do or how much money to spend doing it, there will always be somebody who can and might throw sand into the gear box. I also talked to two (2) lock smiths and they pretty told me the same thing the SEAL demostrated but without actually picking the gun safe dial lock.

Which gun safes actually work and which ones are just expensive boat anchors? Dunno fur sures. I am still trying to research it all and figure it out for myself. Beware the hype from the salesman who wants to sell you a gun safe. I also will be talking to insurance agents who have lines on security firms who may know what they are talking about. I do not...thus my learning...and sharing. HB of CJ (old coot)

If possible, find a liberty safe dealer, make an appointment and check them out. I was impressed. Nothing is safe given the right opponent -- if you really expect to be assaulted by a team of "Green Beret*" and Seal safe crackers in the near future, my advice would be to change location...

P.S. a "Green Beret" is only a hat, with very limited utility...

I own and recommend a Liberty safe.....for no other reason than I am happy with mine! I thought several years ago that I bought enough safe. I purchased a 12 gun, now it is very full. I was new to the collection(not new to guns), and now I wish I would have bought larger.

That said you never know what you will buy in the future, but definitely buy bigger than you think you will need!

As mentioned above, the best choice is to make an appointment and have a walk through. I did a ton of "research" and learned more in 10 minutes from the safe representative. They did not try and sell me anything at all. They just educated me and showed me what they thought fit my needs best. I was blown away at all the options and differences in what safes are made for. You can go from tin can to bomb proof.

Absolutely buy as big as you can afford.

I own an older American Security and a Liberty. Both weigh 900lbs empty. I've just about killed myself twice trying to move them (empty) We had carpet installed one time and these two little crack heads moved one of the safes all the way across the house like it was nothing. They had some strips of teflon and I held the safe on the dolly, they laid the strips under it and then I lowered the safe back down and away they went.

Before that, I'd have sworn there was no way anyone could move my safe when full. Pretty sure I would have been wrong. Both of my safes are only accessible from the front and are bolted to the slab and the wall.

I know of two people that lost everything they had because they were not bolted down.

The fire retardant they use is sheet rock. It's not the heat that will get your guns, its the steam created.

I will agree with others here....If you know how many guns you have you don't have enough. So go big as you can afford. You will need the room. I'm looking at getting another safe so I can get all the non firearms stuff out of my current one. We keep family photos/videos on HDs in the safe, docs and other stuff. We are more concernd about a fire than a brake in. You will be amazed at all the other stuff you will want to keep there. It is recommended to keep all docs, cds, hds, in a fireproof box inside the safe to prevent damge in case of a fire. They take up some space.

• 4 weeks later...

Dammit! I finally decided to go with the Liberty, but came across a Fort Knox dealer here in town. I was impressed with the specs, but it's also a couple hundred dollars more. Thank you to everyone that chimed in, all the responses I got were very informative. With that said, what are your opinions on the Fort Knox safes?