Tonight, as a High School Graduation Gift, I gave my son a Mini-14 from my gun collection.

You should have seen his face light up. :)

He had told my wife that he wanted a rifle for his 18th but, my wife had told him, "no way".

This kid is doing things right (steady girlfriend, got a job after graduation, just got his first car, etc). I couldn't be more proud of him.

He was diagnosed with Kote's Disease (an extremely rare vision disorder) when he was little. The doctor stopped the progression of the disease and now he only suffers from some loss of peripheral vision in the affected eye.

He still hits what he's aiming at!

Watching him grow up makes me a proud to say he's my son.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • Like 6

Very nice gift.  

That is the way to do it.  Give stuff away when people can use it.  Do not wait till you are an old man and on your last years.

I still have my first gun,  a Fox double barrel,  worked a whole summer to save up and buy it when I was about 14 years old.  Shot a lot of ducks, rabbits and cock birds

with it.  

Today,  a 14 year old with a shotgun is a bad thing,  so they say.  Was just the way it was,  we were taught how to use a gun safely and did.  

• Like 1

Yep, We Grew Up Knowing That They Could Kill And Respecting Human Life. I Would Just About Bet That We All StillHave Our First. Daddy Did A Rebuild On My First And I Refinished The Stock. I Had Finally Worn Down The Firing Pin And They Had Given It To Me For My Twelfth Birthday/ Christmas. He Enjoyed Doing It. I Imagine As He Was Rebuilding It, He Thought About All The Hunts That We Had Together.

Sim, He Will Always Cherished This Rifle. Many Will Come And Go Through His Hands But This Is his First. I Think That This Is One Of Biggest Things That Bonds Fathers And Sons.

Edited by unclejake

Being the oldest of three boys being raised by a single mom, I never had that "father-son" experience.

BB guns and knives were also "off-limits" growing up so I've gone out of my way to make sure that my kids were exposed to and not fearful of these types of things. Allow them to make minor mistakes in a controlled environment was my theory.

You should have seen the look on my wife's face when I put a Old-Timer pocket-knife in our 8 y.o. son's Easter Basket. Ten years later he still has that knife today. Did he ever cut himself? Yes. ER visit? No.

I'm glad my theory panned out.

At 18, he also monitors all the latest headlines and likes to talk politics. When he got his voter eligibility notification in my mail, 1 minute later, I found him at the computer signing up. :)

I am Damn Proud!

I hope there is still hope for this country. "Achievers" deserve opportunity.

Edited by Sim_Player
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm lucky enough to have given my step son his first rifle, he's 11. I went and ordered in a 10/22 in stainless for him. He loves it to death, his father hates me for it but, you know shit happens. After many trips to the range I'll let the little man have my 6 any day of the week. Now I just have to plan on what to get his little brother and sister when they get big enough to go shoot.

I passed my first firearm given to me to my son (almost 11) last year when he got straight A's all year. Obviously he only shoots it or even has access when I am present, but we did extensive safety and educational talks prior to his first range trip.

I wondered how well my teaching stuck in his head until this past summer when my nephew, who is 8, came to visit for the summer. He lives with a single mom and had never seen a real gun. He asked to see what they looked like, and I obliged, While I was getting a couple for him to look at I overheard my son giving him the same safety speech that I gave to him. Warmed my heart.

I would much prefer teaching him about guns than his friend when he spends the night out and the kid pulls out his dads gun or something.

I would much prefer teaching him about guns than his friend when he spends the night out and the kid pulls out his dads gun or something.

Same reason I taught my daugher, when friend pulls out a gun they know how to safely handle the situation, or leave and tell an adult if necessary.

Doug