I was wondering if anyone has any experience shooting Wolf Gold .223 (reloadable brass) through their AR-15.  I love steel Wolf/Tula for my Saigas, but my American made guns don't like the steel casings.  Is this a new product or has it been around for a while?  Ammoman.com has 1000 rounds for $399 delivered, what do you guys think?

Its not "American made guns don't like the steel casings" its that some guns...usually the shittier choke on steel case. If they dont cheke they brake an extractor that was shitty to begin with and people blame the ammo. 99% of my AR shooting is with steel casing, always has been. The only ARs Ive owned were Colt, DD, Noveske and none had any problems with steel case.

IIRC Wolf Gold is PPU

I have not. But I hear it is pretty decent ammo, albeit with limited reloading capability (people usually claim to get 3-5 reloads out of them)

But my PalmettoSA and DanielD  eat any Russian steel ammo just like my AKs. In-fact I would get rid of any AR that does not eat it (thank god it has not happened yet)... sooo much cheaper in the long run. I can buy 2 barrels, replace wear & tear parts and more ammo shooting steel cased stuff instead of just buying same amount of brass.

Edited by HappYBallZ

I have a DPMS A15 model but I've never shot steel ammo through it, I was refering to my Mini 30 when I said my American guns don't like the steel, lots of FTFs for some reason.  I guess I'll have to pick up some Wolf steel and see how the DPMS handles it.

Dpms should eat that steel up fine, for some reason minis don't like it

I have a DPMS M-4 and a build that has a Stag upper. Both eat steel like it's going out of style. Bever an issue at all.

Awesome, thanks for the info, I'll stick with steel casings when I buy Wolf, if I want reloadable brass I'll go w/ Lake City.

Mostholycerebus what do you do to a carrier group to make it upgraded to handle steel? IMO if your extractor is working theres nothing else that needs to be done beyond the normal things. The way to fix it is that if the steel is staying in the chamber check to make sure your extractor is working, the way to do that is to check to make sure the rim was ripped. So if the extractor is working it will have ripped the rim when the steel wouldn't extract. So now your chamber needs polished. Hand drill and a brass chamber brush. Run the shit out of it in your chamber till it will function in the rifle.

Like I said if it wont run it then your gun is the problem. I wouldnt have a rifle that wouldnt shoot any ammo in the right calibler.

The only difference in steel and brass is the rate it contracts and expands in the chamber and its harder of course so its harder on chambers.

Now if youve got a rifle set up for precision then I wouldnt touch steel.

Your mini should work fine. If its failure to fire then it may have a wore out hammer spring. If its a failure to feed then its the crappy magazines that are everywhere for minis be it 30s or 14s. Ive had a few mini14s. Good reliable inaccurate rifles you would think ak guys would love them. Now use a crappy aftermarket magazines and thats when you get feed problems. Get a ruger mag and it will be 100%

I should have been more specific in regards to FTF, I meant failure to fire.  My Mini 30 has been very accurate and functions reliably when using American made brass, but when trying to use Silver Bear 3 of 5 rounds failed to fire, when I put the rounds that FTF in the Mini in my Saiga they went off with out a hitch.

The Mini-14 was designed for "suppressive fire" on the battlefield.

Just kidding.

At least you found a use for them.  wet_eyes.gif

Although I rarely shoot my Mini-14, when I do I do not use steel cased ammo.  Mine is an early stainless steel model (one of the first sold in West Texas when Ruger first introduced them in stainless).

Compared to an AR, changing out the barrel once the chamber is worn out is much harder (expensive) on the Mini.  A cheap barrel and a spare half hour is all it takes to get an AR up and running again.

Bill