....I put the "Plug in the Jug".

"They" told me in the beginning that it would not be prudent to speak publicly about it, added pressure, subjecting myself to preconceived notions etc.  I guess this was why it was said.  But I feel the need to tell you about this although I'm not entirely sure why.

I don't deserve a medal or praise, I'm just a guy who saw no future in the path I was on at the time and I believe without a doubt had I not made this change I would not be here now, alive to post this message. 

And the fact of the matter is, all 7,300 days strung together one at a time would count for absolutely nothing if I ended up getting back on the road to ruin.

Did the clouds part and life become all sunshine and flowers after?

Hell no.  As I'm sure most of you know life can be a bitch sometimes and facing it everyday without my quick and easy escape hatch hasn't been easy.  All I can say for sure is that my worst days now are better than my best days were then.  And I'm thankful that I've always been able when I start feeling sorry for myself to look around me and find someone I'd never trade places with, someone much worse off than me.

How did I do it?  Very simply I finally took full responsibility for my own lot in life and accepted the fact that I had the power to make a change.  If anyone reading this stands where I did 20 years ago staring into the black abyss just know that it is possible to step back, to finally get fed up with living with guilt, regret, shame and hopelessness as your constant companions and change course....if you really want to and if you can admit that you can't go it alone.

So rather than going to a smoky room full of strangers and pretending to be wise and insightful, I'll collect that chip here amongst my friends.

God Bless you all.

• Like 5

My grandfather was a alcoholic. Not once in the forty years he was my grandfather did I ever know the man to take a drink. He was the best man I ever knew, and I miss him.

Good on you, Squishy.

• Like 1

Happy anniversary young man, I wish you all the best. One of the hardest of life's struggles, but knowing you have backup and support every day of every step you take makes it worth it. I hope Pauly knows how much we support him and every person that chooses sobriety. We have our own community here with enough experience that help is always around the corner. Thanks for sharing, makes me proud to be here.