who uses quadrails with their Saiga 7.62 X 39?

Does adding quadrails to the Saiga rifle interfere with your abiulity to grip the stock and control the rifle recoil while firing?  Do you need to get a verticle grip also for extra stability?  I was considering a Chaos Saiga 7.62 x 39 rails. 

Does anyone have them and can they advise please?

Thanks

I run a Midwest Industries SGL quad rail. Works just as well on the Saiga, just had to pop the cover off the gas tube.

I love it. Doesn't heat up nearly as quick as standard handguards, doesn't need the retainers, and I use an AFG2 on it with rail ladders on the sides, and it's a very comfortable, secure forend.

I run a Midwest Industries SGL quad rail. Works just as well on the Saiga, just had to pop the cover off the gas tube.

I love it. Doesn't heat up nearly as quick as standard handguards, doesn't need the retainers, and I use an AFG2 on it with rail ladders on the sides, and it's a very comfortable, secure forend.

Pics! Pics! 

Pics! Pics! 

Will-do, likely tomorrow. Be warned, my conversion isn't finished. I am awaiting a '74 FSB, and then I'll fill the rivet holes and Cerakote it. So the grey "finish" under the gas tube cover is still visible and makes the rail look awkward. That, and the lack of handguard retainers also leaves the front end open. So it's not the prettiest beast, but works just as it did on my SGL-21.

Pics! Pics! 

Will-do, likely tomorrow. Be warned, my conversion isn't finished. I am awaiting a '74 FSB, and then I'll fill the rivet holes and Cerakote it. So the grey "finish" under the gas tube cover is still visible and makes the rail look awkward. That, and the lack of handguard retainers also leaves the front end open. So it's not the prettiest beast, but works just as it did on my SGL-21.

Thanks! I'm currently trying to decide what route I want to go with a hand guard. I do like the MI railed hand guard, but don't like the trouble it would be to clean the gas tube every time..not quite sure what I'll do yet.

Pics! Pics! 

Thanks! I'm currently trying to decide what route I want to go with a hand guard. I do like the MI railed hand guard, but don't like the trouble it would be to clean the gas tube every time..not quite sure what I'll do yet.

The gas tube can be removed by simply removing the four screws that hold the upper handguard on. I'm not positive if it'll return to zero if you decide to use an optic on it, but I feel like it would. It's rock solid, and has no play when tightened down. I love the thing, it isn't too heavy, and gives a superb gripping surface... something the AK has always lacked in my opinion.

Here's a pic of it before its range trip today (click for the full-sized picture to see it better) smile.png Can't wait to get the whole thing finished.

10482511565_abcfba77ab_z.jpg

I have a quad rail and if I had it to do all over again I'd buy a high quality, precision machined one.  I'll probably redo it sometime in the near future, when I get a little money saved up.  One of the reasons I like it is because it acts like a huge heat sink.  But you either need to wear gloves or you need rail covers.

I run a chaos quad rail with a magplu afg2 and xtm rail covers. I originally mounted my red dot on the quad rail but I found it made the gun too nose heavy. So I went back to the old mount and just left the front alone since I was rather tired of the old plastic handguard. This setup keeps my hands far cooler then the old factory gaurd but it does weight a bit more. The weight doesn't bother me at all and I've had more then one AR owner comment how nice and balanced the gun feels to them (none have handled other AKs). Last AR guy to handle it had a match shooter AR that was ungodly expensive and he was utterly in love with the saiga after shooting it.

2rppvdc.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I have the Chaos Mini Quad for my Saiga. I found the factory handguard got too hot. I put a Tapco intrafuse on there but didn't like it.

My conditions were 1.) something that didn't require mods to the rifle 2.) something that had rails available (for an AFG and a light) 3.) it looked like it belonged on an AK.

Honestly, if I liked the way it looked I'd suggest the SGM Tri Rail. I think it's solid.

I like my Chaos rail just fine, but there is weight to be considered. After adding that, my Bonesteel adapter and galil-style folding stock and a POSP scope, I feel like the damn thing is too heavy. I love the platform but I wish I could just be happy with a vanilla version, they're so much lighter!