Does anyone else find a 20 round magazine for your AK more practicle? To me my rifles just feel better balanced and more ergonomical with the 20 Rounders over the 30's. Also, I could be wrong, but to me a polymer 20 feels like it would be sturdier than a polymer 30.

Yup, but then I'd remind them that if I need a fire extinguisher, or even worse, an automatic external defibrillator (AED), I also have a really big problem, and I'd be happier than hell to have those things close at hand, too!

Edit: I'm quoting posts 3 and 6, but the quote function isn't working.

Edited by JohnnyE

I like 20 rounders for bench shooting, if a 20 rounder doesn't exist in the market, like for the 5.45, I make it. I  took a couple of 30 rounders  and shortened It smile.png  I just needed a couple, because all my 5.45 are  on stripper clips so loading them is a cinch and fast smile.png

I also did that to my HK33 aluminum 40 rounders.  I bought a bunch of them when they were like 15 bucks a pop, and cut it  down to 25 rounders.  unlike a AK where a small portion of the top mag is in the mag well, on HK the mag well is deeper,  so I made it a bit longer for a additional 5 rounds, but yet it's still  short enough where it won't rest on the bench. I only needed to make a couple like that, as I modified a BETA speed loader to fit over the mag, so loading them with 5.56 on stripper clips is fast. beats paying 60-70 bucks for a HK 25 rounder smile.png

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

It all depends on purpose. Since I'm running a bullpupped RPK that is set up to run as either a DMR(like the Tobuk) or as the semi-auto LMG it's built to be, I like to have a nice variety, lol. I have a couple 10rndrs with my rifles preferred "sniping" ammo, a couple 20s for general use and a dozen 30s, a couple 40s and a 75rnd drum for suppressive fire. Purely for defensive purposes of course, lol. The 20s are the most maneuverable and preferred. But at the range it doesn't matter much for me since the mag is behind the pgrip, it can hang back off the bench. I like the steel mags better. Most of the polys flare at the bottom and take up more room in a pouch.

Edited by BpS12

In a prone shooting position the 20s just work better, nothing like losing a few teeth when that rifle hits you in the face as one "hits the dirt".

I also prefer 15rd mags on the 308 and have chopped up a few 25s to make it so.

Now if these were select fire weapons then of course the matter would be entirely different. 

Edited by Rhodes1968

I like to use 10 rounders for sighting in and hunting, 20 rounders for home defense, and 30s for goofing around with friends and of course for just in case SHTF. The 20 round steel tanker mags i have really come to like, they are friggin awesome! I forget who on here talked me into getting them, but i tip my hat to them!