So my son passed the board today and gets his dolphins next week.

For those not in Navy Speak here is what I am talking about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Submarine_Warfare_insignia

I could not be prouder of my boy, who has given me 2.75 grandchildren (3rd is do in July). Not an easy thing to do and it takes a while. Have to mention the daughter in law, who takes great care of him. Behind every successful man stands a great woman.

The only part that sucks is they no longer allow the pinning ceremony. When the pin was awarded, those who had already earned it where allowed to punch it into ones chest with no backing clasp. Hence "pinning", that has been deemed as hazing and will no longer be tolerated. WTF man, the Surface Warfare pin in my shadow box has my DNA on it for a reason.....

You go boy, way ahead of the old man!

• Like 5

I am a civilian who has had the rare privilege of being given a personal tour of one of our Ohio class missile submarines - the U.S.S. Alaska (in non-classified areas of course). Just me and my officer friend at the time were on board.

I salute your son and all those who serve (and have served) aboard our submarines. All I can say is I sensed it takes very special sailors and officers to man our submarines. Trying to imagine all the working knowledge of a submarine's systems, and employing it as a weapon too, seemed overwhelming. Heck ... I've visited a GATO sub, the U.S.S. Drum, and it too seemed very complicated.

Do let your son know there are civilians who thank him and his crewmates for their dedication. The military just didn't work out for me and I hope to be half the man that those who serve are.

I encourage everyone who visits this website to read a fantastic book titled "The Pig Boats." It's an old Bantam paperback that tells the story of the submarines' efforts in the Pacific during W.W.II. Frankly, they did a huge job and are a major reason why we won in that theater - if not the main reason.

I can only hope your son is led by a better President as soon as possible.   

• Like 1

Congats! 

The blood pinning was getting way out of hand.  You're not supposed to try and grind it through a persons chest!

My father got to pin my wings on!

If you're interested in seeing an old diesel boat, the USS Cobia is at the maritime museum in Manitowoc, WI.

• Like 1

Bravo Zulu to your son. He has now become a member of an elite fraternity, a "Brother of the 'phin". I still remember the long hours and sleepless nights underway trying to qualify. My dolphins got tacked-on in '88, still got the polaroid of the C.O, presenting them to me in the crew's lounge. Congrats on raising a good son. I sleep good at night knowing that men like your son are out there "punching holes " in the water on vigilant patrol.  Thank you .                                                                              

• Like 1