I finally have a couple bucks to spend and im wondering about a laser.  The models im looking at are 'universal rail mounted' are all between 100 and 150, but is there any brand that sticks out as better.

crimson trace 

lasermax 

viridian

A laser on a pistol only shows me how damned shaky I've gotten in my old(-ish) age.  unsure.png

I get much more use out of a flashlight.  wink.png

Its going to be used as a training aid for my jerky trigger finger.  First mag or so I am able to properly squeeze the trigger and hit what im aiming at.  After that, I start anticipating the shot and it throws me way off.  A laser is the only thing thats ever been able to break that habit for me.

Plus, my wife likes using it.  Anything that will encourage her to shoot more is good.

• Like 1

The CT Laserguard is great if they make one for your pistol.  You never have to think about turning it on or off.

But take a look at the Streamlight TLR-2G for a light and laser combo.  Most light laser combos have the laser below the light which is not ideal.  This model has the laser shooting through the light bezel. 

Lasers are useless during daylight, unless green. One more thing to dick around with anytime and especially during crunch time. They make great and high priced pet toys.

Lasers are useless during daylight, unless green. One more thing to dick around with anytime and especially during crunch time. They make great and high priced pet toys.

In order to keep this thread on topic, I made a new thread to discuss the merits of lasers. 

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/93850-lasers-tools-or-toys/

On my HD pistol (Glock 23) I have a Crimson Trace Lasergrip and a Surefire 300 Ultra.  The Lasergrip turns on automatically when you grip the gun and my trigger finger rests on the light's switch.  It's pretty intuitive to use and with a little practice it is very fast and you know exactly where your gun is aimed.  The green lasers are daylight visible but tend to be more expensive.  

Doug 

.....and you know exactly where your gun is aimed. 

....provided you can pick up the light on a given background/target. They do not show up on certain colors and textures.

Edit to add: You can lose gunsights in backgrounds, too.

Edited by Yeoldetool

.....and you know exactly where your gun is aimed. 

....provided you can pick up the light on a given background/target. They do not show up on certain colors and textures.

Edit to add: You can lose gunsights in backgrounds, too.

I know I'm not a professional with lasers and lights but I have done quite a bit of practice and competed in 2 major night 3 gun matches.  In daylight conditions you can easily lose the sight but in low light conditions I've been able to see my dot pretty much all the time.  Inside my house I don't see how you could miss the dot except when aimed at a mirror or glass window.  Since I shoot a lot, I know where my muzzle is pointing at all times and only use the laser dot to fine tune my aim.  Saying you may not see the dot 100% of the time is not an excuse, in my opinion, to discount the usefulness of lasers.

Doug

• Like 1

Here are the few im looking at.  They are all between 100 and 130.  crimson trace has a good warranty and streamlight has an even better one.  I just want to make sure I can swap it from a glock 17 to an sr9c.

crimsion trace rail master-http://www.opticsplanet.com/crimson-trace-rail-master-laser-sight-universal-rail-mount-laser.html

streamlight tlr4-http://www.opticsplanet.com/streamlight-tlr-4-compact-handgun-laser-sight-flashlight.html

viridian ecr c5r-http://www.opticsplanet.com/viridian-green-lasers-universal-sub-compact-red-laser-w-ecr.html

I have the Crimson trace grip style on my 45XD. Don't have to move any switches, just tighten my grip with middle finger. Works well, just wish it was green. Very hard to to see in bright light.

http://www.opticsplanet.com/crimson-trace-lasergrip-for-springfield-armory-xd-45-acp-lg445.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=plusbox-beta&gclid=CNmMw8TYnr4CFeZaMgodkEoAIA

I finally have a couple bucks to spend and im wondering about a laser.  The models im looking at are 'universal rail mounted' are all between 100 and 150, but is there any brand that sticks out as better.

crimson trace 

lasermax 

viridian

When I see a thread like this, I find myself wondering how realistically of an expectation does the poster have of the events that will unfold following the  use something like a laser during a self defense situation. Even if it if the victim is not charged with a criminal act due to it being perfectly leagle to have or use the laser on the firearm they shot the criminal with...

What will happen later when the criminal sues the victim in civil court, or if they died and their money grubbing family sue...

I bring this up observing that a good guy might  possibly be able to slide  his super evil tactical laser off  in a second before, others arrive. Probably not the case with the nice Crimson trace laser grip....

crimson trace 

lasermax 

viridian

When I see a thread like this, I find myself wondering how realistically of an expectation does the poster have of the events that will unfold following the use something like a laser during a self defense situation. Even if it if the victim is not charged with a criminal act due to it being perfectly leagle to have or use the laser on the firearm they shot the criminal with...

What will happen in civil court later when the perp, if they live, or their family sues the victim 

crimson trace 

lasermax 

viridian

When I see a thread like this, I find myself wondering how realistically of an expectation does the poster have of the events that will unfold following the use something like a laser during a self defense situation. Even if it if the victim is not charged with a criminal act due to it being perfectly leagle to have or use the laser on the firearm they shot the criminal with...

What will happen in civil court later when the perp, if they live, or their family sues the victim 

Easy live in a free state

No criminal charges

NO civil charges

Streamlight TLR-2

In my opinion the best bang for your buck is Streamlight.

Relatively inexpensive, durable and reliable.

3promag30rdxd9.jpg

The TLR-2G is even better.  But more expensive.

My service pistol has night sights and a TLR-1 (no laser).  CCW pistol has CT Laserguard but no night sights.

As far as losing laser dot or sights against some backgrounds, that's why you practice until you know where your bullet is going without sights.  At least good enough to hit a man size target at 20 feet.

• Like 1

I like Surefire. I have an X400 and a X300. But to be honest, I dont really feel the laser is worth the extra coin. I dont know that a laser is going to give you a better shot vs. good night sights. Im not a SEAL, nor a Recon Marine and I dont have an NVD so I really dont have much reason to run a laser. The flash from my weapon will let the bad guy's buddies know that they are not welcome IMO. They do serve a purpose, but not for me.

Ive spent time in the service like many others here, but I feel that the time it takes to look for a red/green dot is time I can take to put my night sights on just as fast. Point shooting has a better place for me an mine vs. relying on a device to do it for me. YMMV.

That will happen whether you have a laser or not.

Are you on prozac?

What will happen any way? Is who on Prozac?

If you are implying that the criminal or their family files a criminal suite and will win anyway, then you don't have your facts straight. I,ve watched these cases tried for over 30 years now. Not all states are the same. In the state where I currently live,  any thing considered "tactical"  like a laser or a light in over 90 percent of the time will give the plaintive's attorney enough to for the verdict to be in the plaintiff's favor. The reason I posted what I did is to hopefully stimulate the thoughts of others.

Are you on Prozac smart ass. Or is it more like crack, butt crack.