This past Saturday my buddies apartment burned down and him and his girlfriend lost everything. The firefighters found his pistol a few hours later and this is whats left of it. Im going to strip it and clean it the best I can and see how bad it really is. One thing I was pleased to see is that the cerakote is still in very good shape. It took almost an hour to get it stripped due to the crud and melted plastic and foam that was keeping the slide from moving.

post-32793-0-29035100-1405552002_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-92472700-1405552026_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-70477000-1405552051_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-03114500-1405552081_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-96342800-1405552116_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-74063300-1405552149_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-09280200-1405552192_thumb.jpg

Ive got the frame completely stripped and it really aint too bad inside, but some of the parts have rust on them. The main spring especially. Likely from all the water.

Oh that sucks... Probably the wrong time to point it out to him, but renter's insurance is dirt cheap. I think I was paying like $100 a year for $50k of coverage.

Yeah, he already knows it now. lol. He's already talked with a few places for when he finds another place to live.

I don't know how good Sig's customer service is, but he might consider sending it in for a "safety inspection" and see how they might be able to help him out. At the least he'd make sure the fire didn't have any ill effects on the metal, at the best........?

• Like 4

Wow... About the only thing that guy has going for him is that he wasn't into Glocks...

Just from looking at it I would say that it never got hot enough to cause bad problems. Sending it in after you get it mostly cleaned up isn't a bad idea though.

I don't know how good Sig's customer service is, but he might consider sending it in for a "safety inspection" and see how they might be able to help him out. At the least he'd make sure the fire didn't have any ill effects on the metal, at the best........?

I told him he should send it to them regardless. Im going to get all the shit off of it first and clean everything on it before he sends it off.

I *DID* just think of something else though... If he happens to be an NRA member the gun is insured through them.

I am a NRA life member and didn't know this. Very interesting.

$2500 of gun and ACCESSORY (including mags) coverage is automatically included in your membership. You can buy more if you like and the rate isn't bad. That's actually why I became an NRA member years ago. I couldn't get insurance on the guns at a reasonable price.

It also stacks on top of your home owners insurance and can help cover a deductible. The NRA calls it "Arms Care Plus".

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 3

Looks to be salvageable. Sept.11 2012 I lost 10,000 in firearms about 2,000 in ammo. 99% of everything else. Wife and four children homeless. No good deed goes unpunished. I was letting a man break down an old motor-home for scrap. Due to a felony for rape, he cannot get a real job. Just needed that camper gone, and thought I could help him out as well. I could not obtain renters insurance because we heated with wood. I calculate that it will take another two years to fully recover. I hope the American red cross in that area is better than here. They wouldn't help us. The salvation army were a waste of time too. If you can post an address, or send a PM. I would like to send a donation.

That sucks! I would be concerned the metal's temper has been affected.

The whole thing has probably been annealed. Definitely not safe to fire without having it inspected by a very competent gunsmith who knows a thing or three about metallurgy.

• Like 1

Hard to say. Its very possible. It was in the case, and only the top portion of the case was melted. The bottom was intact, and some of the foam padding was still present. I seen the case this morning. Prolly still a good idea to send it to SIG.

I do not think that that got anywhere near the temperature needed to have any effect on the temper of the steel. 500 degrees F would have completely destroyed the case and the grips.

• Like 1

I do not think that that got anywhere near the temperature needed to have any effect on the temper of the steel. 500 degrees F would have completely destroyed the case and the grips.

This is what I been thinking. I may shoot it, but depends on how much shit I can get out of the barrel.

Yeah the springs were fine. A little surface rust, but they came clean. I got the frame gutted and cleaned and put back together. Everything functions good in the frame. My biggest concern right now is the barrel. There's a lot of shit in it. Lol.

Replacing the barrel is an inexpensive solution so you don't have to worry about the temper being destroyed in the fire.

The whole thing has probably been annealed. Definitely not safe to fire without having it inspected by a very competent gunsmith who knows a thing or three about metallurgy.

I don't generally like to throw this around a ton because I feel its an asshole thing do to (so call me an asshole if you want), but I'm a legit ME, went to a great school, got good grades, a decade in industry, and all of that, and there is no damn way that thing has been annealed based on the grips still being very much intact. The metal isn't even colored beyond char from other stuff burning on it.

It will be fine including the barrel.

That said, call me a stupid, arrogant, dumb ass engineer asshole up and down the block if you want, Sig can test fire it and tell you so. wink.png Capt.. I wouldn't fire it even though I'm confident (I've been wrong before though... but not all too often). There's no reason to be stupid. You don't have the proper equipment to determine the safety. Sig does (and I have access to it). By safety I mean rockwell hardness testers and electron microscopes. My armchair opinion (since I don't have the pistol for testing) is that it's fine, but let Sig handle it.

edit: The springs are my concern since they're hyper hard, very thin, and somewhat more sensitive to heat. They're also dirt cheap to replace and I would personally do so. A failed spring probably won't kill you either, but why fuck around over like $30?

As I said, I'm open to being called an engineer asshole... I've heard it worse by better... But the simple fact is that I didn't design the gun or oversee its manufacture. Let the guys that did handle it.

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 3

I don't generally like to through this around a ton because I feel its an asshole thing do to (so call me an asshole if you want), but I'm a legit ME with good grades, a decade in industry, and all of that, and there is no damn way that thing has been annealed based on the grips still being very much intact. The metal isn't even colored beyond char.

It will be fine.

That said, Sig can test fire it and tell you so. wink.png

And yes, call me an asshole if you want! I stand by my judgement. smile.png

I'm not gonna call you an asshole - I mean, you might be, but nothing you've said in this thread would lead me to think so - rather, you're an expert in a field, with an expert opinion, and you're probably right.

I'm a fan of better safe than sorry, especially when it comes to shit that might explode - that means being overcautious. That the springs didn't lose their temper is a clear indication that the metallurgy is fine - and I feel sort of dumb for not noticing that'd been mentioned.

Edited by Shandlanos

I edited a grip of times (as is my usual MO... I want it "just right") so I think we're in total agreement. I'm still open to being called an asshole based on the edits you didn't see at the time of your response... :) I work hard to NOT be "THAT" engineer.

To summarize: Send it to Sig... Let their engineers verify my armchair engineer (as a pro) analysis of the firearm.

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 1

Well, that sucks!

My friend found a stainless mini 14 in a house that happened to be owned by drug dealers in Wisconsin. Not sure how the fire started but it did successfully run them out of town. The rifle was cleaned up and new parts added.

That thing shot better than a target AR after the fire. Not sure if some magic shit happened or what to the barrel. It was strange.

My guess is that if the pistol were a real german sig p226, you could have wiped it off and shot it! :)

Good on ya for helping a brother out. The pistol will be very lucky after surviving a fire.

Maybe keep some of the burns on it for a reminder.