Wooden handguards - Talk to me, guys

Some followups on issues discussed here.

1. I CAN do buttstocks. I have done buttstocks. I haven't made as many because wooden AK stocks already exist but they don't so much for Saigas. I've done several on request and have a few coming soon.

2. Vertical foregrip for S-12 is entirely feasible, but I can't see doing them except on a custom basis. If you want one I'm totally game for it.

3. I have just developed a Galil style handguard for the S-12. Seems like the best choice if you're going with a folding stock.

Anyone seriously interested please E-mail or PM me.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your work looks excellent, what I am interested in is a nato length stock and one of the saw type wood grips, I fell in love with Cobra's conversion and I must make one. However I also wish to put a tromix flash hider on the front and thusly need to comply with 922r, if I must get US made parts I want good stuff. You make good looking wood and the grip alone will make a whole world of difference in feel yet still give the AKish appearance.

NATO length stocks are 100% doable. SAW type grips - let's see what you think of some of the specimens up and coming.

What I need is for folks to be clear about what they want and be willing to recognize when they're the only person who wants something a certain way. I can totally make such things happen, it just works a little differently that way.

NATO length stocks are 100% doable. SAW type grips - let's see what you think of some of the specimens up and coming.

What I need is for folks to be clear about what they want and be willing to recognize when they're the only person who wants something a certain way. I can totally make such things happen, it just works a little differently that way.

Oh, when I meant SAW type I was talking about the upper left grip in the picture:

post-6-1134279934_thumb.jpg

It has the profile of the SAW grips, at least that is my perception of it anyways.

That grip is actually what I call the Stoner style. When trying to design my optimal grip, I ended up reinventing the grip used on the Stoner 63, AR-180, VEPR II, and Feather USA carbine. It's rather different than than Tapco's SAW grip. What I'm working on that bears the most resemblance to the SAW grip evolved from my fat grip designs.

That grip is actually what I call the Stoner style. When trying to design my optimal grip, I ended up reinventing the grip used on the Stoner 63, AR-180, VEPR II, and Feather USA carbine. It's rather different than than Tapco's SAW grip. What I'm working on that bears the most resemblance to the SAW grip evolved from my fat grip designs.

Whatever it is based on it looks like it would be very comfy and I would be more than happy to sport it up on a converted S12. With that one and a NATO length wood stock in some sort of blonde wood I would be very happy and have a lot less things to worry about with a conversion.

Just to get this out up front: I've only got the 1 S20 (sporting an Ironwood set from ~1.5 years ago), but assuming I can talk myself into another s20 in a few months or so, would it be possible to make a buttstock/forgrip that mimicked the original, but in wood?

I'm of the opinion that wood and steel are the mark of a firearm with soul, and I'm frankly sick of plastic on my weapons (sans the AR. It was designed for a purpose and soul'less, so plastic works).

I'm thinking that a relatively unmodified S12 or S20 with a wood stock would make a kick ass skeet gun that wouldn't piss the O/U and SxS guys off so much.

BRG..Which is lighter??..the Stock S12 Forearm..or the Wood??..Enough to even tell??..Just ponder'n on one .Don't care about the finish just a good fit like yours all are..Probably will matte black it or camo....& is it feasable to tac/bolt/screw a rail to one of yours??..Thanks

Buttstock and handguard similarly shaped to the original is a CAN DO. I don't do checkering and the curves wouldn't be exactly the same, but I could certainly do something relatively close. Did one a while back in beech. In fact I have two classic buttstocks in maple looking for a good home.

Weight would depend on the wood. The handguard might be close depending, the buttstock would be either heavier or much heavier. A good choice if you want to move the balance rearward. I could try some external or internal lightening techniques if you were interested. I've never intentionally done anything with light weight in mind, but I do have a degree in that sort of thing.

On rails... I used to say no, never, not with wood. Then I discovered lyptus wood. A reddish hybrid that isn't expensive but is some of the strongest stuff I've ever worked with. I've just developed a Galil style handguard that seems like it would take well to a rail underneath. So I will consider this on a custom basis. Send me a rail and I'll install it on your Galil style S-12 handguard at additional charge. Note that this would be suitable for sling swivels, flashlights, vertical foregrips, and the like, not optics.

Edited by BattleRifleG3

My Stuff should be here tomorrow or an Wednesday. You can bet that i will post plenty of pics of BRG3's stuff. I can't wait for this to come. If you think about the work involved his prices are cheap, just think for 20 dollars more than a K-var stock set I got a custom made set from beech! It is going to be one of a kind, Hand made adds alot of value to your weopen also. BattleRiffle I will do everything I can to post pics everyware when I am done. This guy is great to work with and communicates reall well he is asome, all of my questions were answered and my stock was in the mail less than two week s after receiving it. I can't wait to get this stuff in some competions, I don't care about wait it reduses recoil and it looks one of a kind!

BR, how long is the stock again? its nato length right? :smoke:

Edited by fullchoke

I have an S-20 that I'm going to have internal choke tubes installed in and then I want to make a ventilated rib that extends all the way to the end of the barrel like some of those trap guns with the tall ribs. Once I get the rib soldered on to the barrel and paint the thing I'm going to need some nice wood for my new BT-47 or does Kalashnirazzi sound better? I'd gladly buy the wood early and store it until I have time to complete the project. I don't intend to convert this gun as this gun is going to be sort of a joke and strictly for busting clays with my snobby friends that look down their noses at my Kalashnikov obsession.

So anyway, I'd like this set:

post-6-1121751593_thumb.jpg

I'd prefer that they come finished and with a recoil pad installed. Is that possible? I will also be more than happy to pay the entire bill up front. What's the charge and where do I send it?

Edited by DaGroaner
Buttstock and handguard similarly shaped to the original is a CAN DO. I don't do checkering and the curves wouldn't be exactly the same, but I could certainly do something relatively close. Did one a while back in beech. In fact I have two classic buttstocks in maple looking for a good home.

Weight would depend on the wood. The handguard might be close depending, the buttstock would be either heavier or much heavier. A good choice if you want to move the balance rearward. I could try some external or internal lightening techniques if you were interested. I've never intentionally done anything with light weight in mind, but I do have a degree in that sort of thing.

On rails... I used to say no, never, not with wood. Then I discovered lyptus wood. A reddish hybrid that isn't expensive but is some of the strongest stuff I've ever worked with. I've just developed a Galil style handguard that seems like it would take well to a rail underneath. So I will consider this on a custom basis. Send me a rail and I'll install it on your Galil style S-12 handguard at additional charge. Note that this would be suitable for sling swivels, flashlights, vertical foregrips, and the like, not optics.

If you can find it, try to get Persimmon wood, or Musclewood, either of those are incredibly dense. I think it's Atlantic white cedar, that is pound for pound, stronger than steel, but that might be a little rough to shape.

I knew that forestry education would come in handy someday...

ForGreatJustice: That is one half of the Freelance Police, the lagomorph. But of all the boards I'd put this avatar on, a remote, off the beaten path com bloc shotgun board is the LAST place I would figure it to be recognized.

Fullchoke's wood furniture is here sitting on the kitchen table where his Saiga was converted, he was on a field trip with his class today and will be a little late getting home. I'm so tempted to open it and check it out but he wants to do it. Expect pictures tonight and thanks so much BattleRifleG3!

post-1114-1140579038_thumb.jpgpost-1114-1140579126_thumb.jpgpost-1114-1140579113_thumb.jpgpost-1114-1140579038_thumb.jpgpost-1114-1140579021_thumb.jpgpost-1114-1140579059_thumb.jpgpost-1114-1140579126_thumb.jpgThe wood is on it still needs some stain but it is on the gun! Eric loves it! I really like the cheek weld on your stock BRG3. This work is freakin amazing!! I can't belive that this stock came out so good. You guys would not believe how comfortable this gun is here is My New Girl! My dad is going to save up his allowance for a set!! Dude, battlerifle This is on post out of many that is going to show your awsome work. The gun's name is Galatine, (came from a king arthur book)

Got to go,

Eric

Thanks, GOB.

After trying all sorts of ideas for S-12 handguards in the AK style, I realized that a variation on the Galil style could be one of the best solutions.

Is there some mechanical difficulty in making AK-style lowers?

P.S. Thunderbear: You never know what kind of folks are out on that thar Intarnet, or what kind of childhood they had. Mine was mostly owned by LucasArts....back when they were actually creative.