Wooden handguards - Talk to me, guys

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been rather busy this weekend, but as I said via PM, I cross your area a bit. Would be happy to make arrangements.

For all interested folks, I have been very happy to receive a large number of PMs very recently. Unfortunately, I have a limited storage space, so please if you can, E-mail to my screenname at hotmail.com.

Here are some designs mocked up against photos of an S-12 graciously provided by a board member. Sorry the resolution isn't the greatest, but hopefully they convey the ideas. The shortest varieties are currently underway but are taking a back seat until items that are paid for already are complete.

post-6-1141190256_thumb.jpg

post-6-1141190301_thumb.jpg

Edited by BattleRifleG3

Check the Custom Furniture II thread in the For Sale forum for some pics of new handguards in progress. These include the rifle style handguard made for the S-12 and many of the designs shown in concept above.

And now for some good/bad news. I've been very pleased with a good number of recent orders with very faithful buyers. I also have a bit of stock underway to offer at an upcoming gun show. And finally, there are personal developments that are very good but that affect my schedule.

SO in order to be most faithful to everyone, I'm going to have to do another order freeze. That means I'm going to finish a few things before I start more projects. This is really GOOD NEWS to everyone. To those who've paid for orders it means I'm putting you first, and to those who will order in the future it means that when I take your order I take it seriously.

If you've already started discussing a project with me, we're still on track. It's those who haven't yet approached me that I'm asking to wait a little bit.

I'll update the Custom Furniture II thread when I'm ready to take more work again, which shouldn't be too long.

B)-->

QUOTE(G O B @ Mar 7 2006, 07:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

BRG3- Glad to hear you are busy. Your work is impeccable. Anyone ordering from you will get the "good stuff"

G O B

I have a Saiga .308 at Tony's and a deposit with BRG3 to make me a furniture set for it. I have no doubt that between Tony and BRG3, I will have one fine Saiga .308.

Hey BR3

I just wanted to say that I inquired several weeks back on prices but did not get back to you and say that i'm sorry as I got the news that we are being laid off. As soon as I get back up and running Iwill be getting a set of hand guards from you, But now I'm torn between the 3rd pic from the top and the last one.

Check the Custom Furniture II thread in the For Sale forum for some pics of new handguards in progress. These include the rifle style handguard made for the S-12 and many of the designs shown in concept above.

And now for some good/bad news. I've been very pleased with a good number of recent orders with very faithful buyers. I also have a bit of stock underway to offer at an upcoming gun show. And finally, there are personal developments that are very good but that affect my schedule.

SO in order to be most faithful to everyone, I'm going to have to do another order freeze. That means I'm going to finish a few things before I start more projects. This is really GOOD NEWS to everyone. To those who've paid for orders it means I'm putting you first, and to those who will order in the future it means that when I take your order I take it seriously.

If you've already started discussing a project with me, we're still on track. It's those who haven't yet approached me that I'm asking to wait a little bit.

I'll update the Custom Furniture II thread when I'm ready to take more work again, which shouldn't be too long.

Folks don't buy them anymore apparently... :haha:

How many people could make a sales pitch like that work?

Edited by DaGroaner

It is rather ironic, huh? I was just asking an honest question because the handguards shown haven't moved, and they were exactly what I thought folks would be interested in (per the persistent requests). Both the heads up to forum members and their feedback to me seem to have made the difference, as well as the opportunity for me to clear up a few points.

And DG, I am pleased to report your buttstock almost ready for finishing and your handguard not far behind it. :up:

H4S, yours are also in progress, each a step or two behind DG's.

It is rather ironic, huh? I was just asking an honest question because the handguards shown haven't moved, and they were exactly what I thought folks would be interested in (per the persistent requests). Both the heads up to forum members and their feedback to me seem to have made the difference, as well as the opportunity for me to clear up a few points.

And DG, I am pleased to report your buttstock almost ready for finishing and your handguard not far behind it. :up:

H4S, yours are also in progress, each a step or two behind DG's.

I like to think that pic of my stock made a difference too. :smoke:

Thanks again, I really can't wait. I'm just dying to bust some clays with it.

Edited by DaGroaner
  • 1 month later...

I admire the work you have done for the s-12 but would like to see more in the way of the s-20 with an AR type buttstock, TDI style contoured pistol grip, and the 5+5 slotted vent handguard. I think that your prices are very reasonable for the amount of work you have to put into them. Please PM me if you have any of these available. Thank you.

Here's the thing guys - Plastic has a low cost per item but a very high equipment cost. Individually manufactured wood pieces take more time per item but when everyone wants something different and there's a market for fine things that's the way to go. Just ask the folks making S-12 mags. That is probably the ONLY plastic product that will ever be worth the tooling costs. Machining from a block of plastic of sufficient strength and heat resistance is more expensive than wood. Moulded plastics have the advantage of saving both time AND material in forming. Take the time to machine and pay for all the plastic you mill away and the costs are a whole different ballgame.

I've looked into it, but currently there's not enough of a market for synthetic Saiga furniture, especially because a fine set of it comes with your rifle at no extra charge. ;)

I'd like to see more in the way of the s-20 with an AR type buttstock, TDI style contoured pistol grip, and the 5+5 slotted vent handguard.

Thing about them is that you can already get them. Cobra here does handguard slotting, and AR buttstocks and grips for Saigas are readily available, ask BlackJack.

• 4 weeks later...