Awhile back, I think after the Russian EO but to be honest I don't remember I bought some ak mags at sgammo. On the site it claimed they were "rusty broken ak mags fit only for projects".

They were 4 bucks each and I bought a few on a whim. I finally got around to looking at them and in my opinion I found perfectly functioning not rusted/dented mags. Took a couple apart and found no problems. Couple of VERY small dings on a body or two. No rust anywhere. Haven't range tested them but the spring is fine and the follower tracks just fine

He had about 500 for a couple days so I know at least a few people on this forum bought some. Has anyone tested these? Ill try to post some pics tommorrow of what ive got, but tonight it's late and I just can't.

• Like 1

Man that sucks.

Them sons a bitches promised you broken mags and sent good ones.

You should take action of some kind. Report it to someone. Write reviews on the web about it. Get the word out.

I don't know man, if I was you I'd be furious and would not stand for this kind of treatment.

A scathing email wishing a horrible death on their children perhaps.

• Like 8

I have to confess that I'm curious just how bad an AK mag has to get before its actually considered "rusty and broken"... I've seen plenty of ancient AK mags, and other than some really soft springs, they all looked like they would fire even if they were a bit buggered up.

I'd say you got a good deal on some mags! :)

• Like 2

The 10 pack of 'used, good to excellent' mags i got, 4-6 had yellow fluff on em from what looked like packing material. It honestly looked like some were ripped out of those lil yellow envelopes you saw in the pic and completely unused, 4 or so were used but not bad,and 2 were a bit rough finish wise but functional. Those guys kick ass.

• Like 2

The 10 pack of 'used, good to excellent' mags i got, 4-6 had yellow fluff on em from what looked like packing material. It honestly looked like some were ripped out of those lil yellow envelopes you saw in the pic and completely unused, 4 or so were used but not bad,and 2 were a bit rough finish wise but functional. Those guys kick ass.

Same with two ten packs I got. Most show no sign of use. The ones that do are Nearly perfect.

SGA is top notch. Never had a bad experience with them.

• Like 1

IM not following. Are you complaining about getting super awesome magazines for super awesome cheap?

Please explain.

Yes, SGammo if badass rocking people. Please carry on.

Chevyman

No, definetly not complaining about getting some good cheap mags. I was kinda thinking in the same vein as what csspecs posted. They must have failed some test it were just mixed up. If I were to through them in with my others mags I wouldn't be able to tell which was which. I don't get to shoot ak all that much so a function test is a ways off. I do plan to load then hand cycle them but that is not nearly as fun.

I'm not nearly as well versed on the ak format as half the members here which is why I posted the question hoping that someone else bought a few and sees whatever I'm missing. Ill try to post the pics around lunch.

Sg ammo is awesome. With the exception of the oddball item I get from ammunition to go, they are the only online company I deal with. Good people.

THey probably got a large shipment of mags that were boken down into excellent, good and broken. I doubt they sort through each one so its quite possible someone somewhere threw some good mags in with the bad broken, rusty ones.

I have to confess that I'm curious just how bad an AK mag has to get before its actually considered "rusty and broken"... I've seen plenty of ancient AK mags, and other than some really soft springs, they all looked like they would fire even if they were a bit buggered up.

I'd say you got a good deal on some mags! smile.png

I have one that is dented. You can only load so many rounds before the follower gets jammed in the dent. Its about half way down so you can load about 15 rounds before it becomes useless. Ive been thinking of drilling a small hole and using hooks to pull the dent out then either leaving the hole alone or covering it with putty that turns to steel

I have to confess that I'm curious just how bad an AK mag has to get before its actually considered "rusty and broken"...

Ive seen some excellent condition mags that got a small dent in the wrong spot, and from then on the follower would hang up a little.

The SGammo sorters may have been told to simply separate any dented mags as 'broken' since actually checking for function would waste time, and still not be 100%

Edited by mostholycerebus

I had a few (not from sgammo) that looked fine and work fine when the follower was pressed down with a cleaning rod. When you would actually load ammunition in them they would bind about half way down. No major dents or anything was visible, so I compared them side by side to other euro mags. The back of the mag (where the rib is) was actually crushed in JUST enough to bind up. Easy fix: grabbed the rib in the bench vise and just pulled, no tools, no banging, no marring or scarring to the mags.

And +1 to mostholycerebus, better QC to assume dented ones are bad than assume viceversa.

I can understand a dented mag that catches on the follower being a problem. I suppose in my mind that is different from "rusty and broken", but probably only in MY mind.  I suppose I don't consider a dent (a block of wood and few minutes should fix that right up to "good enough") to equate to "broken" but it makes sense that SG wouldn't want to walk in that gray area.

$4 for a mag for anything is pretty awesome. Spare nerf mags cost most than that!

they are broken because they arrived at your front porch unloaded

I have one that is dented. You can only load so many rounds before the follower gets jammed in the dent. Its about half way down so you can load about 15 rounds before it becomes useless. Ive been thinking of drilling a small hole and using hooks to pull the dent out then either leaving the hole alone or covering it with putty that turns to steel

just a shot in the dark, but if you cut a square wooden or plastic dowel to the normal width of the mag body, enough so that it has some resistance pushing through, you may be able to "slug" the dents out of the walls by running it through the mag body a few times. might be necessary to clamp the outer edges of the mag walls around the dent so that the dowel doesn't simply expand the walls when it contacts the dent.

Edited by mancat
  • Like 1

Ok so first shot at posting a pic off my iPhone. Lets see how this goes....

One of these is the "rusty damaged dented for repair projects only" sgammos word exactly the others are excellant condition com bloc mags I bought. Please tell me what I'm missing, if you can from the pics.

I'm not busting sg's balls. If anything, I'm trying to remind everyone of how awesome they are. Tommorrow I will load and check them.

Until then...

Ok so evidently I can only post one pic at a time. Ill figure it out later, in the meantime- multipost.

post-35606-0-80307900-1407633494_thumb.jpg

I bought 2 10 packs, and had the same issue as Arik on a few.  I simply used the round end of my tire tool for the bike, locked the mag in a vise to keep from deforming the bottom end, and massaged the dent out enough for the follower to clear.  I've had to do this with steel mags that had been dropped or banged around empty as well. 

On a side note, a couple of the SG mags did have minor surface rust.  Hit them with some steel wool and touched up with Tetra cold blue.

I have one that is dented. You can only load so many rounds before the follower gets jammed in the dent. Its about half way down so you can load about 15 rounds before it becomes useless.

I can load 30 rounds in ALL of the Tapco's I havehaha.gif