Hey Everybody:

I have a bolt-action Remington 700 ADL in .30-06 with a regular hunting barrel. Since I've learned more about guns (like barrel harmonics), I've been wondering if it's possible to put a heavy barrel on it.

Or would it be more economical to go ahead and get a .30-06 that already has a heavy barrel ... if there is such a thing as a heavy barrel .30-06 anymore.  

I have a Savage 10 FCP-K in .308. The idea occurred to me to get my .30-06 into the same league as my Savage by putting a heavy barrel on it.

I say "anymore" above because I saw a photo in this month's American Rifleman of a SOG operator with a heavy barreled Remington 700. However, Vietnam was a long time ago. 

My ADL is already pretty accurate. I was hitting a license plate at 200 yards with factory ammo and iron sights before I put a scope on it. I just don't like how the barrel gets hot quickly. I can only imagine how much more accurate it'd be with a heavy barrel and a higher quality scope. 

Just wondering.

.30-06 is a round that's still available in quantity almost anywhere despite the current group of "geniuses" in the White House. I'd like to have equal accuracy capability with either my Savage .308 or a .30-06 (not that I can carry both at the same time). I assume the .30-06 can shoot farther given its higher powder capacity.

I ask my question because I can find heavy barreled .308, .300 Win. Mag., and .338 Lapua rifles, but I have not seen any .30-06 rifles with heavy barrels.  

Thank you. 

You can get ANYTHING you want, if you have DEEP ENOUGH POCKETS...  Call the guys over at HART barrels. They will make you whatever you want, for whatever rifle you want... just be ready to pony up some hard cash... But it will shoot BETTER than you will ever dream of doing yourself. :up:

:lol:

If you are wanting a 30.06 that will "reach out and touch someone, you might want to take a look at the Noreen long range assassin in 30.06 here: http://onlylongrange.com/bn36-long-range-assassin/

Not a price I am willing to pay, but damnit if I don't like this rifle!

I sort of have the same attitude; but if overtime keeps up and the market doesn't go south, I could see getting one in a year or two.  I've read a lot of internet articles as well as the manufacturer's info and the Noreens look to be very high quality items with extreme accuracy as their primary calling card.

The 700 you saw in Vietnam photos was likely the early M40, in .308 Win not 30-06.

MANCAT,

UNTIL WE GOT THE M40'S IN APPX. 1967, THE WINCHESTER M70 IN 30-06 WAS USED.

AS I RECALL, CARLOS USED AN M70 IN AT LEAST SOME OF HIS EXPLOITS IN THE RVN.

I CORRESPOND WITH HIS SON, NOW A RETIRED GY/SGT. HIMSELF, PRETTY REGULARLY, SO I COULD ASK HIM.

I WAS ISSUED ONE OF THOSE ORIGINAL M40'S WITH THE GREEN REDFIELD AND ACCU-RANGE, TO ATTEND SNIPER SCHOOL IN THE FALL OF I976, PRIOR TO SAILING WITH BLT 1/6 ON LPH-9 USS GUAM.

JESS1344